Author Topic: 6 True Stories That Will Restore Your Faith in Humanity  (Read 12247 times)

sonamdhargey

6 True Stories That Will Restore Your Faith in Humanity
« on: September 30, 2012, 09:25:39 AM »
I like this one particularly:

Let's say one day you get a wrong number phone call from a total stranger. It's a woman who leaves a nonsense message on your voice mail, addressing a person who doesn't live there, with a message that goes something like this: "I can send you money for groceries, but that won't leave me enough to pay my mortgage this month, and the house is already in foreclosure."

Saenz, a real estate agent whose only connection to these people was that her phone number was a couple of transposed digits away from theirs, could have just deleted the message. Or, if she was motivated to be a good Samaritan, Saenz could have called the person back to let her know she had gotten the wrong number, so she'd know that the person she had intended to call would never hear her message.

But instead, Saenz called the stranger back and said, "I'll take care of the groceries, don't worry about it." The lady, Lucy Crutchfield, had meant to leave a message for her daughter. Saenz contacted the daughter and bought her and her family enough groceries to get them through the end of the month, allowing Crutchfield to pay her mortgage.

Read more: 6 True Stories That Will Restore Your Faith in Humanity | Cracked.com http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-true-stories-that-will-restore-your-faith-in-humanity/#ixzz27wXhLXjH

bambi

Re: 6 True Stories That Will Restore Your Faith in Humanity
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 10:17:09 AM »
Wow! Truly inspiring. Just when I thought that there are not enough kind people in the world. Every now and then, when I read about such inspiring story, it makes me feel warm, tingling and happy inside. How many of us can actually do so now? If it was me, I would've called the lady and told her that she dialed the wrong number. If I had extra, of coz I will try and help in any way I can.

The other five stories are great as well... Especially the video where the young little girl was waving bye bye to everyone going down the escalator. How can someone's day not be brighten from her sweet gesture? Simply adorable.

Thank you Sonamdhargey for such beautiful and inspiring stories!

sonamdhargey

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 10:42:11 AM »
You're welcome Bambi. Isn't it lovely that if everyone just play their role to give the act of kindness around them? The world would be a better place. These people acted without any ulterior motives to gain personally or to look good. They randomly just decided to take it upon themselves to make a difference in other people's life. Harmony is right infront of our face.

buddhalovely

• Email
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 02:57:54 PM »
“You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.” — Mohandas K. Gandhi

In the West when you speak of "humanity," you usually mean only our existing generation of human beings. Past humanity is already gone. The future, like death, has yet to come. Western ideas usually deal with the practical side of things for only this present generation of human beings.It is not difficult to forgive destruction in the past that resulted from ignorance. Today, however, we have access to more information. It is essential that we re-examine ethically what we have inherited, what we are responsible for, and what we will pass on to coming generations.

Manjushri

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 05:19:06 PM »
Thank you for sharing the stories. It's extremely invigorating to read stories that restores one's faith in the kindness of mankind.

Society is so caught up with themselves, that we often forget how to treat others as fellow human beings. You even see mothers abuse their child, kids abusing their parents..that's what society has gotten into today because of the need to satisfy our own desires, wants and pleasures in any way we can. We have forgotten the fundamental basis which is to learn how to care for and love others. Imagine if we were in the world alone, how lonely would we feel,.. and yet, with all our selfish actions, we are pushing others away and in the end, we end up alone in a big world regardless.

Anyways, there are alot of Non for profit Organisations out there around the world who helps others without anything in return. To those organisations, volunteers, and members of society who still believe in helping others, I salute you and Thank you, for making the world a better place.

Big Uncle

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 09:02:23 PM »
The world needs a lot more kind people like Saenz. I am not sure what kind of name is that but i am sure he has very good intentions with regards to helping strangers. However, what people need these days is not so much as kindness with strangers but kindness with people we love and cherish. Do we surprise our loved ones and do we apologize and give in when there's an argument. Sometimes, it with people we love the most that we should practice kindness.

Jessie Fong

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 04:33:42 AM »

Regular Folks Risking Their Asses to Stop Hatred

Photos.com

In the wake of a terrorist attack in Egypt that left 21 minority Christians dead at the hands of radical Muslims, there was fear throughout the country that any Christian gathering was a target. So when Christmas Eve came just a few days later, Christians left their houses for church services feeling like there was a bull's-eye on their back. And sure enough, what they found when they arrived at their Christmas Eve services was a mob of Muslims waiting for them.
The mob was there to deliver a very clear message: "If the terrorists want to kill you, they'll have to kill us, too." They were there to act as human shields.

Via Ahram.org

This means they also missed the A Christmas Story marathon on cable.

In case you were wondering "Why would Christians even risk living in the Middle East in the first place?" you might be surprised to find out that Egypt is 10 percent Christian -- Christians and Muslims eat at the same restaurants and go see the same movies, and by God, they've got each others' backs when shit gets serious. Even in Iran, both Christianity and Judaism are legal and protected in their constitution. I guess what I'm trying to say is, none of this is as simple as the people with suits and podiums want you to believe.

Thank you SonamDhargey for this link to great stories.

In the wake of many postings regarding rage and anger vented by certain peoples in the name of religion,
I found the above true story that really touched my heart.  Who says other religions cannot thrive in a predominantly Muslim country? Or vice versa?

Dorje Pakmo

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 05:26:12 PM »
Thanks for sharing this very nice article with us Sonamdhargey.

This story reminded me of a personal experience.

I was standing among the busy everyday people in the city while waiting for a friend one day. And it's quite common for some beggars to walk up and ask for money from people around that area. I thought I've always been quite generous in giving help to the people who deserves to be helped (because some of these beggars are really young and able, but are just too lazy to work). But that day, I've learnt a very important lesson.

I was approached by a man who asked me for 2 dollars, telling me his plight and how he's lost his job due to an accident and the rest was bla... bla... bla... Busy looking at the screen of my phone and texting, everything else he said was blocked out before it entered my ear. I wasn't listening to him and just shrugged him off without looking up clearly at his face, waving my right palm signalling no, please look for someone else.

And so he moved on to the next person and started the same speech asking for help. It wasn't until he walked towards the third person that I realized he has only one leg and is using crutches to move about. He was cleanly dressed and polite. At that moment I realized I was being a real cow. I didn't even try to listen and understand what is really happening to this person. And so I chased after him and apologize for acting badly earlier.

After some talking I got to know that he had met with a real nasty hit and run accident some 8 months ago and have lost his right leg and his job due to the accident. His parents have spent quite a lot money to pay for his medical fees, so now that he's much better, he wants to ease the burden of his parents by coming out to ask for donations from public in order for him to afford a prosthetic leg, so it'll be easier for him to move around and to look for a new job.

I donated some money to this very determined and strong person and made friend with him. His name is Benjamin and the Church he goes to, supports his donation by making nice bookmarks with bible quotes for him to give to his donor as a form of appreciation.

From then on, I make it a point to take some time to listen before saying no or declining people who really need help. Often people these days, including myself, are too preoccupied and chose to be insensitive toward others. It will be real sad if everyone act selfishly and care about nothing else other than ourselves. The world will be a much better place if we can just look and treat everyone that's in it like our own family and be caring towards each other.

DORJE PAKMO

sonamdhargey

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 08:41:33 AM »
I've also encountered similar experience. I was at a cafe with a friend, and the cafe was packed with customers. I noticed there was a lady trying to sell something to make a living. She went table to table to only faced the ugliness of rejection. Those people didn't even bothered to look at her goods nor want to even look at her and just brushed her off by hand gestures.

The she came to my table and I automatically did what others did by telling her to go away. In that instant i realised that what i did was being like the others and quickly asked her to come back to my table and i offered her a seat. I then slowly looked at her wares and told her I was not interested in her wares and i asked her if she was hungry and if she would like something to eat and drink. She noded her head and she use her to put on her stomach and only then i realised that she could not speak. I quickly bought her food and drinks. She was thankful as she took the food and drinks and quckly left the cafe didn't even bother to continue selling her wares. I realised that she just wanted to eat and drink for that day that's why she left quickly.

I felt really happy and glad i did what i did as i don't have to live in guild for doing nothing to help her.

Tammy

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2012, 09:34:50 AM »
Nice sharing ! I strongly believe that compassion and kindness are values we have to inculcate from young. A family who takes part i n charitable activities, give up seats in public transport as soon as they see pregnant women and older persons and leaves food for cats and dogs etc.. will no doubt raise great kids!

Philanthropy starts at home.
Down with the BAN!!!

sonamdhargey

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 03:47:22 PM »

Regular Folks Risking Their Asses to Stop Hatred

Photos.com

In the wake of a terrorist attack in Egypt that left 21 minority Christians dead at the hands of radical Muslims, there was fear throughout the country that any Christian gathering was a target. So when Christmas Eve came just a few days later, Christians left their houses for church services feeling like there was a bull's-eye on their back. And sure enough, what they found when they arrived at their Christmas Eve services was a mob of Muslims waiting for them.
The mob was there to deliver a very clear message: "If the terrorists want to kill you, they'll have to kill us, too." They were there to act as human shields.

Via Ahram.org

This means they also missed the A Christmas Story marathon on cable.

In case you were wondering "Why would Christians even risk living in the Middle East in the first place?" you might be surprised to find out that Egypt is 10 percent Christian -- Christians and Muslims eat at the same restaurants and go see the same movies, and by God, they've got each others' backs when shit gets serious. Even in Iran, both Christianity and Judaism are legal and protected in their constitution. I guess what I'm trying to say is, none of this is as simple as the people with suits and podiums want you to believe.

Thank you SonamDhargey for this link to great stories.

In the wake of many postings regarding rage and anger vented by certain peoples in the name of religion,
I found the above true story that really touched my heart.  Who says other religions cannot thrive in a predominantly Muslim country? Or vice versa?

You're welcome. It all arises from anger. From anger it escalates to arguments, fights, war and many more negative results where most of the time are ireversable just to feed that big fat ego. I'm surprised when people get angry out of their own thoughts. The anger arises from their own thoughts lol.

I truly respect these group of people standing up for peace even if it's different culture, beliefs and religion. These people are good examples to follow. May the world be at peace. Peace start from your own home. If we all cannot even control our anger in our own home, how are we going to control outside?

Jessie Fong

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 04:19:29 PM »

Random Acts of Kindness from People Who Had No Reason to Care

Photos.com
When you work fast food, they're really not paying you enough money to give a shit. In fact, one of the only upsides of the job is that nobody expects you to.
So, for instance, if you're a delivery driver for Domino's, it's not like you have some close relationship with the people who greet you at the door. You probably don't even remember them, unless they keep opening the door nude. So, when delivery driver Susan Guy realized that a particular elderly woman had mysteriously stopped ordering pizzas, what reason did she even have to notice? Maybe somebody opened a Papa John's nearby. Maybe the lady went on a diet.

Photos.com

Maybe she died from eating all that  pizza.
But on a hunch, Guy jumped in her pizzamobile and, on her own time, drove out to the lady's house. She banged on the door. No answer. She banged on a window. Nothing. Finally she got a neighbor to call 911.
Stop and think about how foolish she would have looked if she were wrong here. Maybe the lady was just on vacation, maybe she had just run out to the store, maybe she would be furious that a stupid pizza delivery driver was nosing into her business. But when the cops came and forced the door, there was the old lady, lying where she had fallen three days earlier, unable to get to a phone.
No one else had checked on her, and no one else was going to. Except for pizza delivery woman Susan Guy, who had every right in the world to just shrug and go on with her day.

Via Memorycrossblog.com

Making her the first pizza delivery person to increase someone's life expectancy.

Read more: 6 True Stories That Will Restore Your Faith in Humanity | Cracked.com http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-true-stories-that-will-restore-your-faith-in-humanity/#ixzz28ufii9q1

I picked up this other story from the link that Sonamdhargey suggested --- what would you have done if you were the pizza delivery person?

What if you were the neighbour - would you have taken the little trouble to pop over and check on your neighbour?

Susan has shown us that by taking that little extra effort of caring, she had helped an elderly person.

DS Star

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2012, 05:47:52 AM »
Jessie, as much as I want to say "Oh I'll do exactly the same..."

Unfortunately in reality, I would say our fast-paced and high-pressured demands of daily lives will prevent us from taking notice of a particular woman customer suddenly stop ordering pizza...

Then again, we never know... I do believe we are influenced by our 'basic instinct' and we carry with us our previous lives habituation into this lives.

Look at this video, the "Completely Unrelated Bonus Video" from the link that Sonamdhargey suggested: "6 True Stories That Will Restore Your Faith in Humanity"

A duck sharing its lunch with some fishes:

Small | Large

Unmistakably, the little duckling is a Bodhisattva manifested as this cute little creature to bring happiness to those fishes  :)

Big Uncle

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2012, 07:06:32 AM »
A few years back, I came across this limbless guy and I must say, his story is quite inspirational and he actually looks happy although he does not have any limbs. I think his story is something everybody should listen and watch as it inspires us because all of us have limbs and we can do so much more with them, yet we are unhappy. He doesn't have any limbs and cannot do a lot of things. Doesn't that tell you something... 

Nick Vujicic
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Life Without Limbs

Nicholas James Vujicic (voy-chich; Nikolas Džejms Vujicic; born 4 December 1982) is a Serbian Australian evangelist and motivational speaker born with tetra-amelia syndrome, a rare disorder characterised by the absence of all four limbs. As a child, he struggled mentally and emotionally as well as physically, but eventually came to terms with his disability and, at the age of seventeen, started his own non-profit organisation, Life Without Limbs. Vujicic presents motivational speeches worldwide, on life with a disability, hope and finding meaning in life. He also speaks about his belief that God can use any willing heart to do his work and that God is big enough to overcome any and all disabilities.

Background and personal life

The eldest child of his family, Vujicic was born in Brisbane, Australia. He was limbless, missing both arms at shoulder level, as well as legs. Where human legs are located there are toeless except for two toes on one foot. Initially, his parents were devastated, though Vujicic was otherwise healthy.
Originally prohibited by Victoria state law from attending a mainstream school because of his physical disability, even though he was not mentally impaired, Vujicic became one of the first disabled students integrated into a mainstream school once the laws changed.

Being bullied at school for his limbless disability, Vujicic grew depressed and by the age of eight, contemplated suicide. At age ten he tried to drown himself, but did not go through with it out of love for his parents.[5] After praying to grow arms and legs, Vujicic eventually realised that his accomplishments could inspire others – and became grateful for his life. A key turning point came when his mother showed him a newspaper article about a man dealing with a severe disability. Vujicic realized he wasn't unique in his struggles and began to embrace his disability.

He began to master the daily tasks of life. He learned to write using the two toes on his left foot with a special grip that slid onto his big toe. He learned to use a computer and type using the "heel and toe" method. He learned to throw tennis balls, play drum pedals, get a glass of water, comb his hair, brush his teeth, answer the phone and shave.

In Year 7 he was elected captain of his school and worked with the student council on fundraising events for local charities and disability campaigns. When he was seventeen, he started to give talks at his prayer group,[8] and eventually started his non-profit organisation, Life Without Limbs.

In 2005 Vujicic was nominated for the Young Australian of the Year Award.
Vujicic currently lives in California.[9] On 12 February 2012, he married his fiancée, Kanae Miyahara.

Career

No Arms No Legs No Worries, i love the World!

Vujicic graduated from Griffith University at the age of 21 with a double major in accountancy and financial planning. Subsequently he became a motivational speaker, travelling internationally and focusing on teen issues. Having addressed over three million people in over 24 countries on five continents, he speaks to corporate audiences, congregations and schools.

Vujicic promotes his work through television shows and through his writing. His first book, Life Without Limits: Inspiration for a Ridiculously Good Life (Random House, 2010)[12] was published in 2010. He markets a motivational DVD, Life's Greater Purpose, a short documentary filmed in 2005 highlighting his home life and regular activities. The second part of the DVD was filmed at his local church in Brisbane – one of his first professional motivational speeches. He markets a DVD for young people titled: No Arms, No Legs, No Worries: Youth Version.

He starred in the short film The Butterfly Circus which won the Doorpost Film Project's top prize of 2009, and the Best Short Film award at the Method Fest Film Festival, where Vujicic was also awarded Best Actor in a short film. Butterfly Circus also won the best short film award at The Feel Good Film Festival in Hollywood in 2010.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 07:14:58 AM by Big Uncle »