Author Topic: Dalai Lama reiterates why he chose to devolve his political authorities.  (Read 5982 times)

Positive Change

I found this article and thought it would be interesting to share it here. HHDL has, since handing over political power to the Prime Minister, been making this point very clear. Who is HH trying to convince? On the front it all seems very nice and exemplary but the situation is clearly not as cut and dry.

Excerpt from the speech:

“The situation prior to 300 years is different from now,” the Dalai Lama said. “This is the 21st century and the age of the people, the public.”

In his message to the Tibetan Parliament-in-Exile in March last year, the Dalai Lama had made clear that his intention to devolve political authority is “solely for the benefit of the Tibetan people in the long run.”

“No system of governance can ensure stability and progress if it depends solely on one person without the support and participation of the people in the political process,” His Holiness had said. “One man rule is both anachronistic and undesirable. We have made great efforts to strengthen our democratic institutions to serve the long-term interests of the six million Tibetans, not out of a wish to copy others, but because democracy is the most representative system of governance.”

Full article can be obtained here: http://www.dalailama.com/news/post/782-thousands-attend-the-dalai-lamas-teachings-at-chime-gatsal-ling

DharmaSpace

I am sure if the 5th Dalai Lama had a choice he may not have wanted the civil war or having to take the reins of leadership then split by civil animosities. Blood was shed during that tumultuous time where a secular ruler were deposed. So who else could have taken the reins to prevent further war.
I have noticed that the Dalai Lama since giving up political power has stepped up his teaching schedule all over the world and a lot less mention about Dorje Shudgen. The Dalai Lama line of incarnation came from Dromtonpa who assisted Lama Atisha, would he not view power like a tiger views grass.

shugdenprotect

• Email
Things have changed dramatically since 1959.

From a secular point of view, an independent Tibet no longer exists. Efforts to salvage and maintain whatever that was left of Tibet is made by establishing the Tibetan Government In Exile (TGIE).

TGIE became the platform HH used to salvage what was most precious: The complete and pure Dharma teachings of Lama Tsongkapa. HH did not only safe guard these precious teachings; He spread it to parts of the world unimaginable before the 1959 invasion.

After more than 5 decades of existence, TGIE has done its part and change is set to happen with the establishment of the Central Tibetan Administration (to replace TGIE). This is a clear worldly sign that Dharma no longer requires the political arm to flourish. Hence…the decision to slowly but surely dissolve the authority of the TGIE/CTA is made.

At the same time, as DharmaSpace pointed out, focus and energy is returned to teaching the Dharma.

As Dharma practitioners, we should uphold the spirit of this website and forum: to practice consistently and sincerely as well as have faith in the highly attained beings such as HH and Dorje Shugden who will continue to bring Buddhadharma to more sentient beings during this degenerate age.

icy

So does this mean that the Dalai Lama has really retired? What are the implications for Dorje Shugden practitioners who are still suffering from the ban and at the discrimination of the CTA?

I think time will tell. The Dalai Lama could completely retreat into the background and create a democratic government.  In this case we may see a new era of openness and true democracy led by democratically-elected Prime Minister.  Hence Dalai Lama will loosen his grip to control all aspects of life for Tibetans which has been the case for the past 60 years or more.  If this happens Tibetan will gradually experience religious freedeom in this new system.  It could be a better move for all Tibetans in time to come.  The ban on Dorje Shugden will be lifted eventually.

michaela

From the history of Tibet, it can be seen that the recognition of tulku especially the recognition of high profile incanation such as Dalai Lama, Karmapa, the previous Trijang Rinpoche, have been clouded by power struggle to get political power and authority.  The concept of tulku system is straighforward, but the execution may not be as straightforward.

When there is a power struggle especially in the government, the welfare of the people is sacrificed.  History has witnessed this over and over again (e.g., civil war in the US, power struggle in middle east, French Revolution, Dynasty changes in China, etc.).  I think the Dalai Lama has forseen this risk after he passed away, so out of great compassion, to spare a lot of sufferings of Tibetan people, he gave up his political power.     

Unlike 300 years back when the idea of a republic or giving political power to the people was not widely practiced, now the circumstance is very much different, which makes it possible for Dalai Lama to withdrew from his political power.

By doing this, I could see that H.H. Dalai Lama is a great statesman.  He has studied government types well.  The idea of giving power to the people and elections were practiced by ancient Greek and Rome.  After some setbacks, the concept is revived after many revolutions and bloodbath (e.g., French Revolution, Rusian Revolution, Chinese revolution, and the latest being the struggle of the Middle East).  By voluntarily withdrawing from power, H.H. Dalai Lama reduces the risk of political power struggle in the event of his death and spare the Tibetans in exile a lot of sufferings.

In addition, he is also setting an example to many dictators that still exists today on how to gracefully withdraw from power and protect the welfare of the people.

vajratruth

• Global Moderator
I see His Holiness The Dalai Lama as not only an enlightened mind but also a great strategist for the Dharma. When we look at the history of Dorje Shugden and how this great Protector came to be, we see the hand on politics meddling in spiritual affairs. Similarly we see politically driven motives in the recognition and enthronement of the two different Karmapas in recent times. There are many other examples.

For the longest time, the Office of the Dalai Lama is also the centre of political decision making and it that way, this system of the one entity holding both political and spiritual power keeps the murky soil of politics deeply within the inner sanctum of spirituality. And so often times there is confusion as to whether HHDL's decision is politically or spiritually motivated. The Dorje Shugden ban is one good case in point.

High Lamas and especially the Dalai Lama must first and foremost be a cleric and have as its primary objective, the spread of the Buddha's teachings. What if this objective is politically inconvenient? Which objective wins?

HHDL sees the recent times as a great opportunity to remove the shackles of politics from spirituality. It takes a great man and a compassionate mind to do that because it is political position that usually gives the bearer power, wealth and glamour in worldly spheres.

By resigning from all political duties, could HH have freed dharma from the political clutches it has long suffered? And from here, the office of the Dalai Lama no longer holds political power. There is no longer anything else to covet, to distract the spiritual mind, and to fight over.

As for Tibet, it may sound harsh but shouldn't the growth of Buddhism be more important than the return of Tibet to Tibetan rule? Should the CTA be able to wrestle or negotiate with the Chinese for Tibet to be ruled by CTA, then good for them. Good for the preservation of the Tibetan culture and language.

But what does that have to do with Buddhism and the spread of the dharma? HHDL did a brilliant job spreading the dharma in the past few decades. Some say HHDL failed politically....but i doubt if Chenrezig cares too much who holds power and lines of geography.

Big Uncle

Well, it is very clear isn't it? The Dalai Lama wants the Prime Minister to run the country according to secular ways. In a secular government, there is no room for any element that would disrupt social harmony, whether it is a secular government policy or a religious decree. Hence, the Dalai Lama is ACTUALLY saying to the Prime Minister that you have to call off the ban as I have empowered you to do so.

Now, if the Prime Minister is smart, he will garner support for secular ways and slowly but surely dissolve the ban. When he has the support of all his minister, I would clamp down hard on those who would disrupt social unity - like the ban. I will ensure that everyone complies to this including the great Monasteries. I will stop all medieval segregation based on Dorje Shugden. I will get all CTA-affiliated departments to comply to this decree and not tolerate non-compliance.

vajrastorm

Today, there is no longer a political entity that is Tibet.Yet HH Dalai Lama shows himself to be an adroit 'opportunist' in taking advantage of the current flavor of the political scene - the popular support for the democratic process of government by election - to let Tibet be run by an elected Kalon Tripa.This truly frees him from the shackles of politics so that, when he passes on, his successor will not be burdened by having to be both spiritual and political leader.

So now His Holiness can fully concentrate on being the spiritual leader and spread the Dharma far and wide, which in actual fact, he has been doing all along since he went into exile in India. It is largely through his untiring efforts (as well as the efforts of many great Tibetan lamas and masters)that Buddhism has become a household word and that now Tibetan Buddhism is recognized more and more internationally.

Indeed, it is truly in the long term interest of Tibetans that this devolving of political authority has taken place. There are still Tibetans who regard the Dalai Lama as a 'God King". So taking this step away from politics will help wean them away from clinging to this concept of His Holiness.

There is no country for the current Kalon Tripa to govern. His main task appears to be to engage in further peaceful negotiations with the Chinese for autonomy for Tibet, a task which I feel is both daunting and futile. Right now, there are more urgent tasks on which he should focus, the main one being to ensure peace and harmony among Tibetans. Right now, Tibetans are split down the center by the ban on Dorje Shugden practice. I sincerely hope that he sees this and as a practicing Buddhist will address this issue immediately with great love and compassion.

pgdharma

Now that HH Dalai Lama has devolved from his political authorities, it is clear indication that he wants to leave the governing of secular matters to the Prime Minister. Can we see a true democracy led by this newly elected Prime Minister? I do hope that he will ensure peace and harmony amongst the Tibetans. I hope he will see the threat in the ban of Dorje Shugden which has split his people and will do something to lift the ban.