Author Topic: No women allowed in protector chapel?  (Read 10304 times)

DharmaDefender

Re: No women allowed in protector chapel?
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2012, 12:37:51 PM »
I have heard of some protector chapels in Tibet which forbid women from entering, some reasons I heard is that it is not to discriminate against women, not that they are unclean or anything (unlike other religions), but it is more to protect the women, because some protectors have very strong and fierce energy which may hurt women who are usually more delicate and weak, and also such strong energy sometimes may affect the health of certain women.

Anyone heard of anything like that?

But one thing for sure is that I have not heard of such issues with Dorje Shugden.

Sorry but if the protector cant control himself, he cant control whether he hurts me or helps me. Not someone I want to get involved with.

shugdenprotect

• Email
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2012, 03:58:27 PM »
I agree with Diamond Girl. People make up rules to control others and, maybe even, protect themselves.

There is certainly a possibility that women are not permitted in some spaces of holy worship. However, giving or insinuating that the cause for such a rule is the women's weakness or "dirtiness" is not logical (as very well presented by previous posts).

It seems more likely that the rules are applied as a protection against women. Pure Dharma hold women with high esteem. For example: Samding Dorje Phagmo is a lady incarnaton with high ranking, after the Dalai Lama and Panchen Lama. She is considered an emanation of the beautiful Vajrayogini!

As information and knowledge is made accessible to more people, obsolete rules like this will be forced to disappear.

kris

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2012, 04:31:31 PM »
I really hate religion which discriminates gender. How can they say women are "unclean"? Or may be the religion does not discriminate but the people who practice it are discriminating?

If a religion teach people to be kind, how can they not be kind to certain gender? How can they be blamed for "unclean"? It is not something women can control. Also, don't they all come to this world because of women??  >:(

DharmaDefender

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2012, 11:58:05 AM »
Just had a quick look back through the forums. Theres a post here on this thread http://www.dorjeshugden.com/forum/index.php?topic=1523.0 that says for a chapel in Sera Monastery dedicated to the UNENLIGHTENED protector Dorje Ta'og, women are not allowed in either.

If a religion teach people to be kind, how can they not be kind to certain gender? How can they be blamed for "unclean"? It is not something women can control. Also, don't they all come to this world because of women??  >:(

Hahaha kris your logic reminds me of the one about Dorje Shugden practitioners being unclean. Hey CTA, if we practitioners so damn unclean, give us back our unclean donations that helped to build your 'clean' monasteries and schools and hospitals. Eejits.

Gabby Potter

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2015, 04:59:35 PM »
I have not heard of chapels like this, never. But if there are protector chapels discriminating women, I think that it's very illogical and unfair. What about Vajrayogini? She is also a woman Herself, this doesn't make sense. Why aren't women allowed to enter protector chapels? Please do not forget the fact that Buddha was given birth by His mother, who was also a woman.

Matibhadra

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2015, 07:01:43 PM »
This sounds old and ridiculous.

You display the typical Western ethnocentric colonialist arrogance which looks down on other cultures and traditions just because they may be at variance with one's current cultural preconceptions. Playing the liberal, you are not different from the 19th Century's chauvinistic Protestant priest.

While it is well known that Tibetan Buddhist protector chapels do sometimes forbid women, this does not mean that the reason behind the interdiction is any kind of “gender discrimination”, as one might understand it in the West, and even if it is, it is not the Westerner's task to change it.

Vajra21

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2015, 07:04:09 AM »
There was some such ‘old school Tibetan thinking’ and woman were not allowed to enter some
sacred chapels at certain times and touch some ritual/religious items in pre ’59 Tibet, mainly
because the monthly menstruation was considered unclean. Also the term ‘Ki-may’ (of lower birth) for woman did not help. (One of the many beliefs and superstitions imported along with Buddhism from Hindu India of olden days.) These days I don’t think there is such discrimination

Dondrup Shugden

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2015, 07:35:35 AM »
If women are not allowed into Protector Chapels due to some other reason, there may need some research to find proof.  But not allowed because the energy of the Protector may harm frail women is not logical and I fail to comprehend.

Protectors especially Dorje Shugden manifested to protect us and never harm us.  Whatever energy is emitted it can never be harmful.

I have seen videos of Dorje Shugden oracles taking trance and there are many women there.

Let us not be swayed by some ''old thinking''.