Author Topic: Will Dr Lobsang Sangay protect his people?  (Read 12531 times)

vajratruth

• Global Moderator
Will Dr Lobsang Sangay protect his people?
« on: February 23, 2012, 05:00:35 PM »
Here is an interesting picture. The photo of HHDL who instituted the Dorje Shugden ban and the Kalon Tripa, Dr Lobsang Sangay, the man who is now empowered to initiate the reverse of the ban.

Dr Lobsang is an expert is International Human Rights and must be very familiar with Article 18 UN Universal Declaration Of Human Rights, which provides essentially for everyone to practice and express his or her belief in any way, without being persecuted and without being in fear of such persecution.

Personally, I am very excited to see what Dr Lobsang will do now to protect the free exercise of religious belief by his citizens, especially the practice of Dorje Shugden. I am further very keen to see how the Kalon Tripa will address and even compensate for the many grievances experiences by Shugden practitioners - grievances inflicted by the CTA of which he now heads.

Will Dr. Lobsang Sangay champion the rights of his own people, which he, by calling himself an expert of International Human Rights, posited to protect and uphold?

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01966/LobsangSangay2_1966314c.jpg

Manjushri

Re: Will Dr Lobsang Sangay protect his people?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 08:28:58 PM »
An ordinary lay man, and an ordained high lama; a holder of the vinaya. Yes, indeed roles can now be clearly defined - one is the head on a secular basis, the other on a spiritual basis. This, I believe, is the beginning to create a separation between religion and politics, and an identity for each.

How will the Kalon Tripa address the issues with the past persecution of Shugdenpas, and how will he address the issues that Shugdenpas are facing right now? Yes vajratruth, I agree with you. It will be very interesting to see what this results in.

I guess the first step is already pointing to a positive direction, as published recently in one of the forum posts where the CTA has removed the links to several of their articles and video defaming Shugdenpas.

(read related forum post here: http://www.dorjeshugden.com/forum/index.php?topic=1739.0)

In time, we will see what the decision will be steered towards. It is just a matter of time. I wonder whether Kalon Tripa will slowly make the situation better by slowly re-introducing rights and freedom for Shugdenpas by firstly giving them equal benefits as all Tibetans, and then by issuing an official statement. I wonder whether Kalon Tripa and HHDL are working hand in hand…is HHDL advising the Kalon Tripa?

Tammy

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 05:47:40 AM »
Losang Sangay from Wikipedia:

After graduating from the Tibetan Refugee school in Darjeeling, Sangay received his B.A. (Hons) and LL.B. degrees from the University of Delhi in India. In 1995, he won a Fulbright Scholarship to Harvard Law School, where he subsequently received his LL.M. degree the same year.[1]

In 2003, Sangay organized five conferences between Chinese and Tibetan scholars, including a meeting between the Dalai Lama and thirty-five Chinese scholars at Harvard University.

In 2004, he became the first Tibetan (among six million) to earn a S.J.D. degree from Harvard Law School and was a recipient of the 2004 Yong K. Kim' 95 Prize of excellence for his dissertation Democracy in Distress: Is Exile Polity a Remedy? A Case Study of Tibet's Government-in-exile.[1] In 2006, Sangay was selected as one of the twenty-four Young Leaders of Asia by the Asia Society, a global organization working to strengthen relationships and promote understanding among the people, leaders, and institutions of Asia and the United States. Sangay is currently a Senior Fellow at the East Asian Legal Studies Program at Harvard Law School. He is an expert in Tibetan law and international human rights law.

Dr Lobsang Sangay assumed office as Prime Minister of CTA on 8 August 2011 - this means he had been in this position for more than 6 months now.. The fact that he is highly qualified and experienced in the Tibetan 'political' scene, 6 months is a LONG WAIT for him to 'Notice' the inequality of treatment to DS practitioners and DO SOMETHING about it!!

- my conclusion: HE AINT GONNA DO ANYTHING in his capacity of PM of CTA, if he cares, he would have done something by now!!!!

MR LOBSANG SANGAY - PROOF ME WRONG!!
Down with the BAN!!!

Positive Change

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 06:30:04 AM »
Losang Sangay from Wikipedia:

After graduating from the Tibetan Refugee school in Darjeeling, Sangay received his B.A. (Hons) and LL.B. degrees from the University of Delhi in India. In 1995, he won a Fulbright Scholarship to Harvard Law School, where he subsequently received his LL.M. degree the same year.[1]

In 2003, Sangay organized five conferences between Chinese and Tibetan scholars, including a meeting between the Dalai Lama and thirty-five Chinese scholars at Harvard University.

In 2004, he became the first Tibetan (among six million) to earn a S.J.D. degree from Harvard Law School and was a recipient of the 2004 Yong K. Kim' 95 Prize of excellence for his dissertation Democracy in Distress: Is Exile Polity a Remedy? A Case Study of Tibet's Government-in-exile.[1] In 2006, Sangay was selected as one of the twenty-four Young Leaders of Asia by the Asia Society, a global organization working to strengthen relationships and promote understanding among the people, leaders, and institutions of Asia and the United States. Sangay is currently a Senior Fellow at the East Asian Legal Studies Program at Harvard Law School. He is an expert in Tibetan law and international human rights law.

Dr Lobsang Sangay assumed office as Prime Minister of CTA on 8 August 2011 - this means he had been in this position for more than 6 months now.. The fact that he is highly qualified and experienced in the Tibetan 'political' scene, 6 months is a LONG WAIT for him to 'Notice' the inequality of treatment to DS practitioners and DO SOMETHING about it!!

- my conclusion: HE AINT GONNA DO ANYTHING in his capacity of PM of CTA, if he cares, he would have done something by now!!!!

MR LOBSANG SANGAY - PROOF ME WRONG!!

Interesting assumption Tammy and not without validation. However, in Dr Lobsang Sangay's defence, in the political arena, it is not as simple as reversing a decision made. There is a lot of red tape even for a PM. He has his cabinet to address and also he needs to think of the best "move" with regards to his career. He does after all need the backing of his peers etc in order to succeed in his implementations.

I believe it is a good sign and a baby step in the right direction with the removal of the anti-shugden stance from CTA website. Politicians do succumb to pressure in the long run and the more pressure we put on the administration, the better.

Hence Tammy, with no disrespect to you or anyone reading, one way for us to "contribute" and not merely waiting and getting frustrated that something is not moving fast enough, let us ALL do our bit.

Start by helping the team behind dorjeshugden.com, and click onto this link: http://dorjeshugden.com/wp/?p=10541 and print the ready available letters, sign off and send them. Start NOW! :)

brian

• Email
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 09:49:02 AM »
it is really inspiring now in the Dorje Shugden controversy saga isn't it? Things looking better and better since the latest development in the appointment of Dr. Lobsang Sangay. i feel many will be concentrating every single move in Dr. Lobsang Sangay, esp on how is he going to be protecting every Tibetan and be fair to the very much discriminated Dorje Shugden practitioners.

With the appointment of Sangay in power over in the political side of Tibet, hope there will be more positive news on the lifting of the ban. articles and announcements re the ban of Dorje Shugden practice have since been removed from the CTA's website and i believe this is all the hard work of many people and external pressures from around the world. I rejoice for them for in Sangay there will be justice for all Dorje Shugden practitioners! I have every faith in Sangay!

jeremyg

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 03:17:59 PM »
It is impossible to say what he will or will not do. One thing is for sure, is that he will be suppressed, he will have many different politicians telling him what to do, or not to do. I sure hope he does the right thing, and slowly eases out the ban, as now he has the right and power to. The path has been set for the ban to be lifted. Maybe the Dalai Lama made it this way, so he himself would not remove the ban, but if someone else does it, he doesn't lose the fact that his original judgement was wrong.

It is a step in the right direction. We shall see what will happen. One thing I am uncertain about is whether or not the Tibetan people will listen to him, or will they choose to bypass him and only listen to the Dalai Lama as they are accustomed to. He has already been in power for half a year, but we are yet to see huge results in the fight to remove the ban. Let's hope he is just getting settled before he really starts to do his work. I hope so. I pray so. Please Lobsang Sangay, you know what is right. Lift the ban.

jessicajameson

• Email
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 09:25:11 PM »
Although they take an opposite stance, I agree with what both Positive Change and Tammy says.

If anyone, Dr Lobsang Sangay seems to be THE perfect person to ease out the ban on practicing Dorje Shugden. Organizing 5 conferences between Chinese and Tibetan scholars while at Harvard University is no easy feat. The Chinese are known to be very aggressive debaters, and as scholars at Harvard University... I don't think that the Tibetan are any less aggressive!

As an expert in Tibetan law and international human rights law, he seems to have the experiential credentials to 'strengthen relationships and promote understanding among the people, leaders, and institutions of Asia and the United States'.

On a samsaric level, he will probably get the respect that he has earned and deserves. In that sense, he will be able to pull some weight in conferences with other countries, but within his own nation, who highly respect spiritual leaders - he may not have such a influential role.

Lets see what Lobsang Sangay can do to help his fellow people become a harmonious nation.  ::)

kurava

• Email
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 12:02:10 AM »

If anyone, Dr Lobsang Sangay seems to be THE perfect person to ease out the ban on practicing Dorje Shugden. Organizing 5 conferences between Chinese and Tibetan scholars while at Harvard University is no easy feat. The Chinese are known to be very aggressive debaters, and as scholars at Harvard University... I don't think that the Tibetan are any less aggressive!

As an expert in Tibetan law and international human rights law, he seems to have the experiential credentials to 'strengthen relationships and promote understanding among the people, leaders, and institutions of Asia and the United States'.

Since his appointment to the new position, Dr Lobsang has taken a small  but positive move towards improving religious freedom within the Tibetan community in India - removal of derogatory posts on DS from CTA's official website.

I believe this move is with the blessing of DL because -
1) Everyone knows nothing can get done in CTA , no matter how inconsequential, without HH's approval,
2) Before HH appointed Dr Lobsang as his secular successor , he must have done thorough check on the Harvard graduate's background, knows his beliefs and views on important issues such as religious and political matters.

I think and pray that the appointment of Dr Lobsang is sign that DL is preparing the stage for lifting the ban.

vajratruth

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 03:58:24 PM »

Since his appointment to the new position, Dr Lobsang has taken a small  but positive move towards improving religious freedom within the Tibetan community in India - removal of derogatory posts on DS from CTA's official website.

I believe this move is with the blessing of DL because -
1) Everyone knows nothing can get done in CTA , no matter how inconsequential, without HH's approval,
2) Before HH appointed Dr Lobsang as his secular successor , he must have done thorough check on the Harvard graduate's background, knows his beliefs and views on important issues such as religious and political matters.

I think and pray that the appointment of Dr Lobsang is sign that DL is preparing the stage for lifting the ban.

I hope so too but even as I pray for Dr Lobsang to be the champion for lifting the ban, there is a certain reality to contend with.

The recent move by HHDL to resign from his secular posts is lauded as a positive step towards the institutional separation of Church and State. That all looks very good but here is a snap-shot of the CTA Parliament taken from the CTA website today:

"Today, the Parliament consists of 44 members. Ten members each from U-Tsang, Do-tod and Do-med, the three traditional provinces of Tibet, while the four schools of Tibetan Buddhism and the traditional Bon faith elect two members each. Four members are elected by Tibetans in the west: two from Europe, one from North America and one from Canada. The Tibetan Parliament-in-Exile is headed by a Speaker and a Deputy Speaker, who are elected by the members amongst themselves. Any Tibetan who has reached the age of 25 has the right to contest elections to the Parliament"

The question is can there really be a significant difference in separating Church from State when in fact the Church is still very much in the State. Look at the Tibetan (CTA) Parliament. It still consists of representatives of the Buddhism who presumably went along with the ban.

Let me rephrase my question in a way more relevant to the ban. Can Dr Lobsang or anyone make a difference unless there is a REAL SPIRITUAL SEPARATION OF BUDDHISM FROM POLITICS?

We can only hope so and give Dr Lobsang every encouragement and support.

kris

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 09:10:02 PM »
As someone who has such high caliber, I felt he will do it. Well for a start, he has already removed all the bad publicity of Dorje Shugden from their CTA website (tibet.net).

Don't forget that Dr Lobsang is elected to lead the people. If he messes this up, I feel the people is going to protest, throw him out from the government and form a new gonverment. It is different from the time of HH Dalai Lama, where he is a highly attained master and people don't dare to go onto the street to protest.

As to what Tammy said that he has been the prime minister for 6 months and he has not done much... I have been following up on the politics of Tibet and China. China has been putting a lot of pressure and even deploy troops near Tibet and I guest Dr Lobsang is busy handling such issues...

I would give him another 6 months before we can say if he has done his job...

tsangpakarpo

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 02:53:50 PM »
Will Dr Lobsang Sangay spearhead the CHANGE in policies against Dorje Shugden practitioners?

It will be interesting if he does huh? It is always like that in the game. When one person steps up to take the lead, others will follow suit. And in this case, it will have a very positive effect for the people of Tibet. The amount of support the CTA gets from the International arena will increase tremendously. The Great Tibetan Masters around the world will step forward to support the CTA and its people. Won't this be a positive move?

As the secular leader and a well educated one, I am sure Dr Lobsang Sangay knows what is going on. But does he dare take the first step to liberation? We shall see in the coming days...

AnneQ

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 03:31:16 PM »
As the first democratically elected PM for all Tibetans, Dr Lobsang Sangye has a duty to serve all Tibetans, regardless of race, creed and religion. As an expert on Tibetan laws and International Human Rights laws, he will be expected to look into the demise of his own people regardless of what religious practices they pursue. I trust he will do the right thing and eventually lift the ban. On the same note, Tibetans themselves must respect their elected secular leader and all future leaders, and continue their push for equality and justice.

sonamdhargey

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 03:42:39 PM »
I personally believed that Dr. Lobsang Sangye as an expert in International Human rights laws will uphold the humans rights such as freedom of religion preference. Everybody have the rights of their beliefs of their religions therefore will create a harmonious environment. The bigger picture here is peace. It is already showing that CTA has make the first step by removing negativity about Dorje Shugden in their website. Let's see. Let's give him the benefits of the doubt.

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 12:41:08 AM »
Honestly, I think guessing what Dr Lobsang Sangay will or will not do will not achieve anything. I feel quite sorry for him actually. He is the voted leader of the CTA, which is basically supposed to be the government in exile, now merely called an administration. Dr Lobsang Sangay is basically the head of an administration which has no teeth. I believe there is no country in the world which recognises the CTA. Who would dare to incur the (economic) wrath of China?

Dr Lobsang Sangay is also the new kid on the block. He has never even been to Tibet! He is the head of the CTA, the Kalon Tripa – which is the Prime Minister – but he is still finding his feet. After all, HH the Dalai Lama is a tough act to follow. The Dalai Lama is revered by most of the Tibetans and even though he has stepped down as the political head, I am sure that most Tibetans will still look to him as their leader, whether spiritual or secular.

As the Dalai Lama has decreed the ban on Dorje Shugden, most Tibetans will follow it, regardless of who is the secular head. I doubt that Dr. Lobsang Sangay will go head to head with the Dalai Lama on the Shugden issue either. He seems like a conciliatory man rather than a confrontational one. And going head to head with the one who most Tibetans see as a Buddha would be political suicide for Dr Lobsang Sangay.

Saying that, I think that Dr Lobsang Sangay can change the situation quietly from within. On the secular level, the CTA can start relaxing the rules on forbidding Shugden practitioners travel papers or for their children to go to schools. This can be a slow and subtle direction which will eventually lead to the lifting of the ban.
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

Tenzin K

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 03:21:49 AM »
The pictures of separation of political from spiritual.

This is not going to be an easy task for Dr Lobsang Sangay but the faith and hope of the people especially the devoted Shugden-pa which have been suffering all this while, lying on his shoulder. As an expert in International Human Rights and familiar with Article 18 UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights, everyone is eyeing on him to see the changes. Pulling all the weight to make drastic changes might be too hard but we shall see a positive relief in the people from time to time.

The reason to separate the political ruling from spiritual is obviously to take care of the people welfare and it’s a great opportunity Dr Lobsang Sangay to contribute for the lift of the ban.