Author Topic: How to bless / clear my house of interferences and lingering tenants  (Read 9458 times)

iloveds

• An Uncommon Protector Who Can Not Be Silenced
I'm moving into a new apartment and wonder how I can prepare the place or make sure I don't disturb anything already staying there unseen.

Zach

Re: How to bless / clear my house of interferences and lingering tenants
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 04:47:41 AM »
Tara Sadhana Liberation from sorrow: Praises to the 21 Tara's.

Gaden Lhagyema with protector.

Practice of reciting Heart Sutra in conjunction with the obstacle clearence practice of Prajnaparamita.

:)

Zhalmed Pawo

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 09:10:25 AM »
If you try to "clear your house" from possible spirit tenants, they will probably be agitated. They have lived there before you, so it is impolite to try to kick them out. Of course if you are a great yogi, you might be successful, but probably you are just asking for trouble. Therefore it is better to do nothing. In that way you "do not disturb anything already staying there unseen" as you said.

What you can do however, is to "bless the house" and all who live there, including any possible spirits. Having a good motivation and a little respect towards them is proper decorum. (For instance in Thailand, all buddhist houses have two altars made for the spirits of the ground and the regional guardians. As they are given respect and occasional gifts, they will be pleased and cause no harm.) You can chant the Metta Dharani either in Pali or in English, for instance, first when you move in, and regularly afterwards. The mind of love protects you, and make the possible spirits realize that you are not a threat, but a friendly one, and they will do you no harm. Or, if you do a Buddhist puja when moving in, and make offerings not only to the Three Jewels, but also to the spirits, they will be pleased. Many tsog-pujas have already a special section for making offerings to the spirits - like the guru-yoga of Tsongkhapa, called Lama Chöpa. Or the guru-yoga of Tsongkhapa with requests to Dorje Shugden, called Wishfulfilling Jewel.

DharmaSpace

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 09:21:57 AM »
ZP, u lived before in Thailand or still there, are you behind the thai ds movement? :) if you are I rejoice for the work to bring many to dorje shugden. 

I heard of spirit houses in Tibet that the lamas keep spirits there out of compassion to give them sustenance and pujas to bless them, it is called tsenkhang? Yes there was a story during Buddhas time whereby the monks got disturbed by spirits and Buddha asked his monks to radiate loving kindness towards the spirits.

Zhalmed Pawo

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 09:30:22 AM »
ZP, u lived before in Thailand or still there, are you behind the thai ds movement? :)

Sorry, but I'm not behind it.

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 05:53:05 PM »
Dear Zhalmed,

I like what you said about the spirits being there long before us. I have a friend who also says the same thing - that the spirits were there before us so we should make offerings to them. What if the spirit is not happy that we moved in though? What can we do?
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

Big Uncle

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 03:57:00 AM »
If you try to "clear your house" from possible spirit tenants, they will probably be agitated. They have lived there before you, so it is impolite to try to kick them out. Of course if you are a great yogi, you might be successful, but probably you are just asking for trouble. Therefore it is better to do nothing. In that way you "do not disturb anything already staying there unseen" as you said.

What you can do however, is to "bless the house" and all who live there, including any possible spirits. Having a good motivation and a little respect towards them is proper decorum. (For instance in Thailand, all buddhist houses have two altars made for the spirits of the ground and the regional guardians. As they are given respect and occasional gifts, they will be pleased and cause no harm.) You can chant the Metta Dharani either in Pali or in English, for instance, first when you move in, and regularly afterwards. The mind of love protects you, and make the possible spirits realize that you are not a threat, but a friendly one, and they will do you no harm. Or, if you do a Buddhist puja when moving in, and make offerings not only to the Three Jewels, but also to the spirits, they will be pleased. Many tsog-pujas have already a special section for making offerings to the spirits - like the guru-yoga of Tsongkhapa, called Lama Chöpa. Or the guru-yoga of Tsongkhapa with requests to Dorje Shugden, called Wishfulfilling Jewel.

That's nice Zhalmed Pawo. However, I was advised in the event of moving into a new place that it would be good to setup an altar or the very least a makeshift altar before moving in. Prayers and rituals performed on the venue is to bless the area and its unseen inhabitants and to gently tell them that we are moving in so that our moving in would not be so abrupt and rude. 

Zhalmed Pawo

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 05:57:57 AM »
However, I was advised in the event of moving into a new place that it would be good to setup an altar or the very least a makeshift altar before moving in. Prayers and rituals performed on the venue is to bless the area and its unseen inhabitants and to gently tell them that we are moving in so that our moving in would not be so abrupt and rude.

Yes. Also, before a new monastery is being built, the monks do perform similar rituals to inform the spirits of the land or forest that not to worry, it is only a Buddhist monastery being constructed on their land, and the future habitats, the monks, are a friendly bunch with no ill will towards the spirits.

In essence, all these things are just good manners, a proper decorum. Within the human realm, if you move to a new condo, you do inform the manager of the house that you are moving in, and you do perhaps have a party for your new neighbours. With spirits, it is just the same: You inform the Land Lord, and offer a little party for your unseen neighbours.

(The last time I moved to a city house, there was the spirit altar ready on the living room. Very convenient. In the upstairs hall, there was the altar for the Three Jewels. Even more convenient.  :) )

Zach

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 07:29:15 AM »
Have you done this before?

Perform any of these with a mind of faith and devotion and there will be no trouble from spirits one of the best way to clear areas of spirits is to invite Mother Tara in even the haughty and proud terrible Maras tremble at her wrath and bow at her lotus feet. I had several problems....Had.

dorjedakini

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 08:24:54 PM »
We can invite monks to do Trusol in the house, we can also do Guru Yoga of Tsongkhapa combine with Shugden puja.

My Lama once told me that to bless a house (or anything) for people who are not practising Shugden, you can do this following prayers:
1. Taking Refuge
2. Four immeasureables
3. Your Guru's Mantra or Buddha Sakyamuni Buddha Mantra
4. Recite Heart Sutra
(any language, the words can bless eveything in the house or the items to be blessed, we can prepare some Rice or Flower, after reciting Heart Sutra essense Mantra 21 times, we can blow on the rice/flower and throw it toward the end of the prayer to bless the house)
5. Dedication.

Short but very powerful and effective.

tsangpakarpo

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 08:23:06 AM »
Im not sure if this is relevant but I heard Namkar Barzin, the second minister to Dorje Shugden is popular for protecting buildings, houses, monasteries, especially institutions of Dharmic practice.

Perhaps printing a picture of Namkar Barzin and pasting it in your house will help.  I heard this was the practice done in the past.

Dondrup Shugden

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2015, 12:53:51 PM »
Buddhism is truly a religion of respect and loving kindness.  When moving into a new place of residence, Buddhist respect all those who had been staying there before and make no rituals nor prayers to get rid of them but to bless the place and have a calm and peaceful environment.

There will be no exorcism nor getting rid off, but to bless and appease every one inclusive of lingering tenants.

An aspect of Buddhism which makes me embrace the Dharma more and more as it is always kind and caring.

Do no harm and you will reap no harm.  Be kind and caring and you begat kindness and loving care.