Author Topic: What do you like about Buddhism?  (Read 38091 times)

sahara

Re: What do you like about Buddhism?
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2012, 05:43:30 PM »
What I like about Buddhism is :
 Buddhism is something very logical. And I found all the answers from the Buddha's teaching,  Buddhism is also cater for people in any era, regardless your skin colour or culture. Buddha's teachings answer me about death and  the truth ,also teach me about impermanence and compassion.
For me Buddhism is not a religion but is  the way to live our lives. that's why I love Buddhism :-*

Dondrup Shugden

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2012, 05:02:29 AM »
Most of us have exposure to religion from very young age and then we make our choice. I went to a christian school, (was very good at Bible knowledge studies), lived with a family that practises Buddhism and had many muslim and hindu friends.  Although we never discussed religion, I have observed their behaviour and the ones who are Buddhists seem to have the least restrictions in the way they led their lives.

So I go around saying I am Buddhist, without really know what is Pure Buddhism.  Until later I had the good fortune to met with Pure Buddhism and boy, I liked the way Buddhism turns all my fixed beliefs upside down.  It was a challenge for me to look at my life experiences in a whole new manner and how "things" could have been better for me and for those around me.

The learning path had not been easy but the beauty of Buddhism is that there are logical and very clever answers to the demonic ways of my thoughts and I choose to follow the path of such cleverness in the Dharma.

Now I proudly call myself a Buddhist and I hope that with time I can claim that I am a good practising Buddhist along the path of Buddhism to liberation of my mind. I love Buddhism.

Galen

• Email
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2012, 09:41:34 PM »
Contrary to what most people like about Buddhism, I don't fancy Buddhism because of the peace and compassion it brings to others. I like Buddhism because it makes sense to me on many levels.

I don't complete understand everything there is in Buddhism as I am not a scholar, advance practitioner nor a Lama. But it has answered so many questions and the philosophy and mindset just clicks with me because of that. I also like Buddhism because it attacks the internal aspect - our mind.

What else do you like about Buddhism?

Buddhism is very logical and everything has an explanation to it. The monks in the great monastery would debate on the theories until it becomes a truth. A truth cannot be wronged. That's how they learn in the monastery.

Buddhism doesn't have a creator like Christianity. Therefore, our fate is in our own hands. Where we end up is based on the actions we do. That's karma. And Karma will follow us wherever we go. We cannot escape! By understanding Karma, we will be more mindful in our actions and will not make any negative actions to receive negative karma. That will eventually lead to a better world.

That's what i like about Buddhism.

Q

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2012, 12:32:47 AM »
Well... what i like about Buddhism? A lot!

First of all, i like how logical it the teachings are. Somehow, after contemplating you'll understand why the Dharma says so and so.

Secondly, I believe in karma and reincarnation... although there are other religions that believe in it, Buddhist teachings has given me the clearest explanation I needed.

Third... I don't believe any entity can save me from all the crap karma I've collected... I believe in taking responsibility

Gosh! there's so many more!... But these are the top 3 reasons in my list  ;D

RedLantern

« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2012, 07:40:58 AM »
I like a Buddhism because it's realistic and offers a realistic view of life and of the world.It does not entice people into living in a fools paradise,nor does it frighten and agonize people with all kinds of imaginary fears and guilt feelings.Buddhism tells us exactly and objectively what we are and what the world around us is and shows us the way to perfect freedom,peace,tranquility and happiness.
Buddhism points out the futility of the worldly life and show the correct and practical path that Buddha discovered.It illuminate the way for mankind to cross from a world of darkness,hatred and suffering to an new world of light,love and happiness.

jeremyg

« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2012, 02:48:44 PM »
In my view, buddhism is the only religion that makes sense, and that I can follow. Not to be disrespectful of other religions but some religions have rules and regulations that have to be followed before you can be considered in that religion. There is then guidelines of what is wrong, what is right. And if you do the wrong thing you go to hell, do the right thing and you will be rewarded. But watch out he is always watching you!

Buddhism can be challenged, it can be debated, and this is part of the religion. This way it is common sense and lets you use sense in your life. More often that not, you will find that a buddhist quote or statement cannot be proved wrong, it just makes sense. It takes in the law of karma, something which again makes complete sense. You do something good, you will receive good. Do something bad and bad will happen to you. What is there not to understand about that? Buddhism factors in rebirth, something that has not been proven by science yet, but there are so many reports of rebirths, people remembering their past lives, and also lets not forget high masters who can take rebirth as and when they want.

Buddhism can be adopted into any life, it teaches the fundamental principalities of being alive. It teaches compassion. It teaches why we suffer, how not to suffer, and if you follow the religion properly you feel, and see results. Compassion for me is key, why use our lives only for ourselves, isn't it so much more meaningful to help others.

I can go on and on, but I will end there. I can talk for hours on why buddhism works for me. It may not work for you, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But be open to new ideas, why be closed, after all how many times have you not wanted to hear/believe something, and then find out it helps you so much or is the absolute truth. Give buddhism a chance if you aren't one. There are no initiations, no ceremonies, just a change of state in mind frame.

rossoneri

• Email
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2012, 06:26:19 PM »
There are many answer to this particular question, for me Buddhism gives me a sense of making sense and logical. Don't mean to offend other religion. Buddhism is consider ' A Way Of Life' as well to many. We can adapt those teachings from all the Masters and Buddhas too in our daily routines. We do something good we will collect some good karma in another words if we do something bad, the bad karma will happen eventually in another form or time. Buddhism really required a lot of learning, understand and practices and it is just the way of life (A Reality)

Even Prince Sidhartta cannot escapes the path of learning before he became a Buddha.

Aurore

« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2012, 04:43:17 PM »
What I like about Buddhism is the very fact that our fate and destiny are in our hands. WE are in control of our lives whether it's good or bad and not by some almighty powerful God who determines our course of life. The logic of cause and effect (karma) means every single person is responsible for their own actions and consequences.

When we take refuge in karma, we will stop blaming others and take responsibilities of our own actions, make a change in our attitudes (body, speech and mind), learn from past mistakes, accept, forgive, let go. In other words, if everybody practices real Buddhism, everyone will refrain from harming one another. There will be peace in the world.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2012, 06:19:24 PM »
what I like about Buddhism is everything is logical and can be explained, and also that it teaches us on how to gain control of our lives and make it more meaningful and enriching it with more than superficial entertainment and distractions. It is a set of instructions or a method on how to make our lives more than what it appears to be.

Other religions tend to explain their God as something that cannot be perceived but a Buddha can be perceived directly if we work hard…and it is not something that cannot be explained or that they work in mysterious ways. They do not and it can be explained with enough reasoning and logic.

Buddhism also covers on a lot of topics and also provides a very complete overview of things which gives us a clear picture on what to base our decisions on and it gives us the power and knowledge to change our lives into the direction we choose to mould it to.

jeremyg

« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2012, 06:23:08 PM »
In addition to my previous answer, I was thinking, and in short:

Buddhism is not blind faith, it is logical, things can be questioned, it has a lineage, there are living practitioners who are examples of what the practice can do.

buddhalovely

• Email
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2012, 08:21:57 AM »
My opinion is based on my own surroundings and personal experience of being a buddhist. I love how it reaches to a variety of people that does not judge their gender,race or financial status. Buddhism excepts people for who they choose to be and opens up choices for people who are different. From being rich to being transexual, I love how buddhism excepts us all as equals. It's teachings makes sense, it helps align my perspectives. Some other religions think it's sinful to alter their religion but the truth is that this world is getting more modern as it is and are unwilling to involve in something that they have to seek of unless it's mainstream. This is where buddhism gets really cool, my guru finds ways to approach his students by bringing out a new age methods by using music, social networks, art,gifts and much more to attract the eyes of people like us. It brings peace and does not discriminate who we really are. It brings the best out of everyone and enhances the compassion in you. What more can I ask for? :D I'm a happy child.

Rihanna

« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2012, 09:55:13 AM »
For me, coming into Buddhism or rather being introduced to it was the most liberating gift i ever received. No hard and fast rules . Dont need to worry about the other trappings like rituals and animal sacrifices! You don’t see Buddhists blowing themselves up, adulating martyrdom, embarking on bloody crusades, condemning and judging those who are different or don’t believe. Evangelising is fairly tame although does happen, which is far and few. So for me it is a healthier package than many others.

Like many religions, or religious philosophies, you can find good points in it as well as some points that can be debated (depending on how one interprets it). However, the good points are far more easily found in secular philosophies and in our daily lives; cultivating mindfulness, being mindful of living in an interdependent world, being mindful of our actions, etc.  If we direct our mind in a positive direction, we can transform whatever action we do into the path to enlightenment. In this way, the Dharma becomes part of our life in an organic way. Getting up in the morning is Dharma, eating and going to work is Dharma, sleeping is Dharma. By transforming our attitude in the midst of daily activities, our life becomes very meaningful. It is practical, logical and I love it. Well, it works for me and I hope for you too!

vajraD

« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2012, 04:11:19 PM »
Buddhism appeals to me among all religion
-Because is logical and it just make sense.
-Simply Buddhism is a way of life.
-To transform one too become a better person.
-Buddhism is not a religion that we just listen and cant question when there is doubts.

Reena Searl

« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2012, 06:17:49 PM »
Buddhism is life philosophy.
I like about buddhism is that no one ever tells you that you have to believe this or that.
The Buddha Himself said that you have to test these things out for yourself, and if they are true to you, then use them.
Through practicing sincerely, buddhism shows a real impact in my life and it also open to new understanding from day to day, personally, buddhism teaches me to think OUT OF OUR BOX, once we abandon the thought of what you can and can’t do, it open up many nrew possibilitiies

In life, as a buddhist, I learn to face to Challenge ideas about how things should work. Sometimes when you decide how things should be you limit your ability to be effective in the world as it actually is.

ratanasutra

« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2012, 01:51:48 AM »
i like Buddhism because it make sense. The teaching is very logic where we can find the answer. The teaching of Karma is very powerful in term of cause and result..

The teaching is guide and lead people to do in good action, harmony, caring, not harm other etc which is basic to be in social.

i think if everyone is follow Buddhism principle, our world will only have harmony and peaceful.