Author Topic: Lying Takes Many Forms  (Read 13302 times)

RedLantern

Re: Lying Takes Many Forms
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2012, 05:28:31 PM »

Lying goes hand in hand with cheating.It does not matter if it is a person, a game or a business deal.There is probably not a person alive today who, has not told a lie or at least represented the truth to some extent.Lying takes several forms and is justified by so many different reasons ,one of most is exaggeration. Finally do not lie or cheat .How to deal with them? Cut them out from our presence.That will drive them away or make them honest with you.Either way is better than being lied to.,for so many reasons.
Do not accept assurances of honesty until you can prove them.

Dondrup Shugden

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2015, 03:27:19 AM »
One of the vows of a Buddhist is not to lie.  As mentioned in this article, LYING comes in many forms.  Most of the time lying causes harm to others.

My question now, is it possible that lying is for a good cause to protect the minds of others.  Well this can be done with great practised skills and with the clear motivation that it is beneficial.  Can unattained beings have such skills and clarity?  In order not to make any mistakes, just do not lie.

Tenzin Malgyur

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2015, 12:03:41 PM »
Lying with the intention to deceive shows that the person who is lying does not regard the trust that have been accorded to them. When the lies told involved money, it would lead to criminal breach of trust and is punishable by law when charged in court.
From a dharma point of view, when encountered with a liar, we must advise the person to admit the untruth that have been told and then to find a solution to mend the situation.

RedLantern

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2015, 04:28:02 PM »

Lies are morally wrong, then, for two reasons. First, lying corrupts the most important quality of my being human: my ability to make free, rational choices. Each lie  contradicts the part of me that gives me moral worth. Second,  lies rob others of their freedom to choose rationally. When A lie leads people to decide other than they would had they known the truth,  harmed their human dignity and autonomy. Believed  to value ourselves and others as ends instead of means, we have perfect duties (i.e., no exceptions) to avoid damaging, interfering with, or misusing the ability to make free decisions; in other words - no lying.