Author Topic: Holy Relic in Lhasa  (Read 11406 times)

Vajraprotector

• Administrator
Holy Relic in Lhasa
« on: April 06, 2011, 10:00:14 PM »
I was reading My Life in the Land of Snow by Denma Locho Rinpoche and came across this:

"There were several representations of Palden Lhamo in the fifth Dalai Lama's palace at Drepung, one of which was life size and made of silver, but the one I am referring to contained the preserved remains of a woman from the village below Drepung, who span wool into very fine cloth and was said to have been an incarnation of Palden Lhamo.

She had apparently materialised in the Palace when the Dalai Lama was reciting prayers summoning Palden Lhamo and passed away there. People who have seen the remains, which were removed by the Chinese in the 60s, and later replaced in the Drepung Palace, say they were those of a child, but often the remains of holy beings shrink, which would explain why they are so small when preserved. Anyway, spirits are usually terrified of this relic..."

I've found an image online and would like to share with everyone. It's said that this body is now being kept in a gelug monastery in Lhasa near the Gonggar airport, does anyone know which monastery or heard about this?

Big Uncle

Re: Holy Relic in Lhasa
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 06:23:26 AM »
Wow, this is fascinating! The Tibetans also considered Queen Victoria, of whom the Tibetans had a brief encounter during the early British incursions into Tibet, was an emanation of Palden Lhamo. I suspect that these emanations, whether one that led a high profile or spend their lives in relative obscurity were there to carry out a specific task that will benefit the Dharma.

However, I have not heard of a Palden Lhamo oracle yet but I think I read that there were yogis and great masters that channeled Palden Lhamo. The only real oracle I know of Palden Lhamo is not human and that is the sacred lake Lhamo Lhatso that was consecrated by one of the earliest Dalai Lamas to bestow visions of the future. In fact, subsequent incarnations of the Dalai Lamas are usually found using oracular visions.                                   

thaimonk

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 04:08:20 AM »
I was reading My Life in the Land of Snow by Denma Locho Rinpoche and came across this:

"There were several representations of Palden Lhamo in the fifth Dalai Lama's palace at Drepung, one of which was life size and made of silver, but the one I am referring to contained the preserved remains of a woman from the village below Drepung, who span wool into very fine cloth and was said to have been an incarnation of Palden Lhamo.

She had apparently materialised in the Palace when the Dalai Lama was reciting prayers summoning Palden Lhamo and passed away there. People who have seen the remains, which were removed by the Chinese in the 60s, and later replaced in the Drepung Palace, say they were those of a child, but often the remains of holy beings shrink, which would explain why they are so small when preserved. Anyway, spirits are usually terrified of this relic..."

I've found an image online and would like to share with everyone. It's said that this body is now being kept in a gelug monastery in Lhasa near the Gonggar airport, does anyone know which monastery or heard about this?

Thank you for sharing this. Absolutely beautiful. I have never heard of this till now. Very sacred.

pgdharma

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 02:37:59 PM »
Thank you, Vajraprotector, for this piece of information.

dorjedakini

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 11:39:33 AM »
Thank you for sharing this post. Holy beings will show signs to sincere practitioners. In Nepal there are holy cave with self-arising Tara and a spoken Tara statue in Phegyeling Monastery.

It is said that by seeing, making offerings to holy relics, we can purify much negative karma and open up our pass life good karma to do practice more this life to benefit ourselves and others. Holy being will not lose any chance to benefit us, how compassionate they have it for us to generate merit.

I was not into merit before and always think that we just do good our life will be good. After following my Lama, in fact even the most precious teaching and method given to us, we will not have the karma to receive it as lack of merits.

Damian.D

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 10:07:18 PM »
Amazing, even looks like a babies skull. I love these stories of ole'. Especially with regards to deities and protectors. Great stuff with photos too!

Thanks very much VProtector

ratanasutra

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 12:03:49 AM »
thank you for sharing this information.

to have holy relic, all beings surround will be blessed by the holy relic.

We believe that if we walk circumambulate the holy relic then our negative karma will be purify and also collect merit.

that why in the holy place which have holy relic always have lot people come to circumambulate ie bhoudha stupa at Nepal

whitelion

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 11:16:26 PM »
This is fascinating. It's very blessed to have a glance of any holy relic even it's a photo. Relic which is also remains from someone who have reach total enlightenment. We should pay our highest respect any relic but not rely on them to gave us any special power. A lot of the high lamas left a lot of remains after passed, such as the Late Lati Rinpoche, Rinpoche's heart, tongue and eyes are remain in good condition even after hours of cremation, if we happened to make offering to the high lama or their holy remain , the merit we collected are the same as we making offering to the Buddha. Because the remain relic remind us the compassion and wisdom in them, and also the the virtue in them. The relics are holy because all the high master have spent their whole life benefiting others, always place others before them, which also show us Bodhicitta in them. We should pray one day we will reach the same stage just like them, and we will be able to benefit others in anyway.
I have no doubts if this is really the Holy relic from HHDL's shrine, because HHDL will never be wrong. And i will be more than happy to makes offering to this relic in the future if i have merit to see this in real life.

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 03:32:14 AM »
Thanks VajraProtector for this story and photo. I have previously tended to be skeptical of 'relics' unless authenticated by a renowned Lama. However, I have been thinking of whether I should be less skeptical. The reason is that I think relics are dependent a lot on faith on our side so if it is up to us, then we can create blessings for ourselves. For example, if we believe the relic has power, it will, as related by the story of the woman and the dog tooth. The story essentially went like this: the son had given the mother the tooth of a dog and said it was from a Buddha and the mother believed it so made offerings to it everyday and the tooth began to produce miracles.

So while a holy object in itself may have blessings etc, i feel that the power it has is greatly dependent on the faith of the practitioner. At the very least, a genuine relic will plant seeds of blessings in the observer but if the observer has much faith, the blessings will be multiplied. It's like that saying of Buddha - if you think of your teacher as an ordinary being, you will get the blessings of an ordinary being, but if you think of your teacher as a Buddha, you will get the blessings of a Buddha.
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

Klein

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 07:16:44 PM »
It's fascinating that there is a holy body of Palden Llhamo's emanation still perfectly preserved.  I wonder if there are any documentaries showing all these amazing holy relics. They'll blow away people's minds.

There are many things that exist that modern science still can't explain. With more documentaries on these matters broadcasted in National  Geographic or Discovery channels, more people will start exploring spirituality and have less fixated mind sets.

vajraD

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 05:35:40 PM »
Thank you for sharing such great story. It is so interesting to hear re the holy body of Palden Llhamo's emanation. Having such holy relic blesses the surrounding and also blessed who ever sees it.

I love to go visit holy site as much as possible to get the blessing. But sometimes if we are not familiar with this entire place is pretty difficult to get there. Any recommendation of how we can gat a list of all these places?