Author Topic: Dorje Shugden, the 15th Dalai Lama, and China  (Read 19616 times)

Mana

Dorje Shugden, the 15th Dalai Lama, and China
« on: February 16, 2011, 03:10:58 PM »
A few signs (but definitely not limited to only these few) pointing to the fact that China supports Dorje Shugden:

(1) Trode Kangsar, the House of Dorje Shugden (http://dorjeshugden.com/wp/?p=298), stands tall in the heart of Lhasa till today, if there is to be such a Dorje Shugden chapel/temple somewhere else, it will surely be stoned daily and most probably burnt down by now. But nobody dare to touch Trode Kangsar, even though it is at the center of the Tibetans itself (Lhasa). Why? Most likely they are being warned that Big Brother (China) is keeping an eagle eye over the well-being of Trode Kangsar, thus nobody dare to lay a finger on it.

(2) A few years ago, some monks went to Gaden Monastery Tibet and destroyed the Dorje Shugden statue, the monks were arrested and sentenced with heavy terms, accused of belonging to the Dalai Lama's clique, and disturbing religious freedom (yes, in this case China is adamant about it). A new Dorje Shugden statue was swiftly resurrected and it stands till today, and there is even Chinese PLA (People Liberation Army) watching over the Dorje Shugden chapel in Gaden Monastery Tibet since then, he must be very important to the Chinese, because no other Buddha/protector statue in Tibet (not even Jowo!) get to enjoy this special treatment! A personal PLA bodyguard!!!

Just think, most likely China will choose their own 15th Dalai Lama, and visualize image like the one below being taken "OFFICIALLY" and disseminate all over China and to the world, how impactful it will be...

Helena

• Email
Re: Dorje Shugden, the 15th Dalai Lama, and China
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 03:26:21 PM »
Thanks for this amazing thought provoking post, Mana!

It sends chills down my spine just reading this, a mixture of excitement and anxiety.

China has laid their own plans to ensure that they are in control of everything - even reincarnation - to stop the return of any High Lama that is against them or will be against them - notably, HH the Dalai Lama.

China has obviously thought of all the "loop-holes" that they could to seal the "fate" of Tibet and Tibetans In Exile.

I would not put it past them to do more and come up with more in the near future - until it all becomes the Chinese Brand of Tibetan Buddhism and the Chinese Approved Reincarnations.

It never fails to amaze me to see how events gradually unveil - it is a Renaissance as you rightly said!

The Return of the Great Lord Protector, Dorje Shugden.

Exciting times ahead.
Helena

beggar

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 08:41:34 AM »
Several Lamas, i have had the honour to meet,  including Gangchen Rinpoche have said at separate times that China will become the new might of the world. They are fast becoming the dominant force in economy, politics and even lifestyle trends. The world was amazed at their hosting and presentation at the recent Guangzhou games, which is only one example of the huge influence they will soon have. 

What better place than for Dorje Shugden to flourish than there! I rejoice to hear of the good news. If nothing else, the Chinese will need a lot of spiritual support and guidance after being so starved of any spirituality for decades and especially now, in the face of so much materialism.

Let's not be too quick to be cynical about this. If nothing else, we have the Chinese to thank for preserving something as sacred as Trode Khangsar.

Zach

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 11:13:11 AM »
Uh...

DSFriend

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 11:36:41 AM »
Hi Zach

Thanks for the photos. I've seen these circulated and read of speculations about how genuine this is. I don't know...

Thus the speculation continues...

Mana
Your observation is interesting. I won't be surprised China pick their own 15th Dalai Lama in time to come.

Perhaps Nechung's "mischievous acts" of giving seemingly contradictory answers which did not materialise for the Freedom of Tibet is a way of serving Tibet into the hands of her guardian, China?

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 03:32:11 PM »
...if there is to be such a Dorje Shugden chapel/temple somewhere else, it will surely be stoned daily and most probably burnt down by now.

Not to detract from your post above, but let us not forget that there is still such a Dorje Shugden chapel/temple here in India: Tro Kang Dechen Chog.

Thanks to the courage of those brave monks who guard this precious jewel, it still stands and host many pujas throughout the year.

thaimonk

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 02:04:52 AM »
Uh...

What's your point? The picture is not important as the post.

Big Uncle

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 05:14:32 AM »
I just saw this piece of news on CNN.COM:-

Japan: Economy slips to third in world, behind US and now China

Tokyo (CNN) -- Japan has slipped to the world's third largest economy, falling behind the blistering speed of China's manufacturing growth, according to Japanese figures released Monday.

Japan's cabinet office released its nominal gross domestic product figures for 2010. Japan's economy was valued at US $5.4742 trillion dollars while China was at US $5.8786 trillion.

Japan's economy did grow in 2010, but only 3.9%, according to the government. China's is expected to grow more than 10%. At the speed China is growing, Japan's government predicts China will overtake the United States as the world's largest economy in less than 20 years.

China has expanded domestic industries and infrastructure, driven by a surge in exports. Multinational corporations have expanded in China, taking advantage of low labor costs.

Japan, meanwhile, has been stuck in stagnation and deflation for two decades. Decisive economic policy has been lost in the revolving door of the country's top leader, with Japan seeing six prime ministers in just five years. Looking ahead, Japan is facing a demographic tsunami, with the world's fastest aging population and one of the globe's lowest birth rates.

On the national debt issue, Japan's parliament is struggling to cap its GDP-to-debt ratio, which is nearing 200% -- the world's highest among developed nations.

The size of an economy does not tell the entire picture: Japan's GDP per head is around $40,000 while China's is $4,500. The standards of living remain remarkably different in the two countries. But the economic size of a country gives a snapshot of not just the financial influence of a nation, but its power in the world's political sphere.

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/02/13/japan.econmy.third/index.html
---------------

I think this piece of news is very telling of our times. I am not a pro-Chinese person and I don't particularly like the mercantile-like behavior of most Chinese anyway. However, I can see where this colossal nation is heading and that is on an upward trend. They are going to eventually dominate the world with its culture, economics, technology...etc. However, I don't really care much about that but I do hope they do take Dorje Shugden as part of Chinese spirituality and spread it to the rest of the world.

You see, with financial might, many of us who don't see the Chinese in a favorable light will become lesser and lesser over time. America owes so much money to China now due to trade deficit that America had been taking a less hardline approach with China. It is staggering what China will be in the future. Somehow, I am indeed glad that the Dalai Lama had positioned Dorje Shugden because it makes it easier for the Chinese to relate and pick it up. There's so many people will stand to benefit if the Chinese truly embraces Dorje Shugden.

Zach

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 10:18:59 AM »
Uh...

What's your point? The picture is not important as the post.

The point is someone is being deceptive.  :o

beggar

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 04:06:11 PM »
okay, from the point of view of someone (i.e. many of the millions of people in China) who does not know the subtleties or whatever deception you may be referring to, it is incredible that the picture itself will be distributed and seen by SO MANY people, and therefore, they are also seeing Dorje Shugden and imprints are being planted in their minds.

Thy see a person who they respect (the Panchen Lama) and he is surrounded by an image (or images) of a Buddha. How meritorious for the person seeing these pictures.

This alone is something to rejoice in, don't you think so?

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 04:47:23 PM »
okay, from the point of view of someone (i.e. many of the millions of people in China) who does not know the subtleties or whatever deception you may be referring to, it is incredible that the picture itself will be distributed and seen by SO MANY people, and therefore, they are also seeing Dorje Shugden and imprints are being planted in their minds.

Thy see a person who they respect (the Panchen Lama) and he is surrounded by an image (or images) of a Buddha. How meritorious for the person seeing these pictures.

Nice way of looking at things Beggar... i've seen the two Panchen Lama pics before online and read the various accusations but i like your angle on this issue. After all, whether real or fake - if the photos are shared by many people, then whoever sees the pictures are blessed by Shugden. What's the downside? it's a fake picture? What is real or fake anyway... isn't everything illusory?

Thanks for making me think, Beggar!
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 04:57:00 PM »
Going back to the initial points raised by Mana - i'm glad to hear that Trode Kangsar is well looked after and that the new Dorje Shugden statue in Gaden Tibet is now protected.

And yes, Tenzin Sungrab's mention of Tro Kang Dechen Chog is a good reminder of Dorje Shugden chapels currently standing, but i think the point Mana was making was that China may be the bastion of Dorje Shugden practice in future as the authorities are actively protecting Dorje Shugden places of worship.

Like Big Uncle, I am not a very pro-China person though I'd like to visit one day - if only to visit Trode Kangsar and other DS chapels! I rejoice for China's support of the practice and also I rejoice for all Dorje Shugden chapels and temples all over the world... may the Great Protector's practice prevail, spread and increase!
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

Helena

• Email
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2011, 06:00:32 PM »

Totally agree with you on this!

Spreading the Protector and Dharma is always something to rejoice in.

Thanks for putting things into a BENEFICIAL perspective, Beggar!
Helena

DSFriend

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2011, 01:27:17 PM »
...if there is to be such a Dorje Shugden chapel/temple somewhere else, it will surely be stoned daily and most probably burnt down by now.

Not to detract from your post above, but let us not forget that there is still such a Dorje Shugden chapel/temple here in India: Tro Kang Dechen Chog.

Thanks to the courage of those brave monks who guard this precious jewel, it still stands and host many pujas throughout the year.

Hi TS. Where in India is Tro Kang Dechen Chog? Any possibilities of obtaining pictures?

thanks so much

beggar

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2011, 03:48:26 PM »
Going back to the initial points raised by Mana - i'm glad to hear that Trode Kangsar is well looked after and that the new Dorje Shugden statue in Gaden Tibet is now protected.

And yes, Tenzin Sungrab's mention of Tro Kang Dechen Chog is a good reminder of Dorje Shugden chapels currently standing, but i think the point Mana was making was that China may be the bastion of Dorje Shugden practice in future as the authorities are actively protecting Dorje Shugden places of worship.

Like Big Uncle, I am not a very pro-China person though I'd like to visit one day - if only to visit Trode Kangsar and other DS chapels! I rejoice for China's support of the practice and also I rejoice for all Dorje Shugden chapels and temples all over the world... may the Great Protector's practice prevail, spread and increase!

People can talk about it being propaganda or political or whatever. I don't know much about China, I don't really have any intention of visiting either (travel not being my thing really). However, I have heard many impressive things about the temples there, both on the mainland and in Tibet. Friends who have travelled there have reported that they are surprisingly impressed by how well the temples are maintained. It's true that real practice and the numbers of Sangha have dwindled considerably compared to what they would have been at their prime, but there is quite a lot of effort being put in by the government to restore monasteries and maintain them well.

Whatever their motivation is, there must be some good merit accumulated by the effort, time and resources being put into something sacred like the temples. As things open up more and more in China, there would well come a time when practice flourishes again. The physical buildings are the first step. Let's hope the teachings take strong root in the country again, for the sake of the Chinese if nothing else - remember they have had an incredibly rich religious and spiritual history very closely linked to the Gelug lineage and teachings. It would be great if they could revive it all again.