Author Topic: Our Precious Human Rebirth  (Read 17455 times)

DSFriend

Re: Our Precious Human Rebirth
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2011, 10:14:34 AM »
Why does 'nuclear' scare us so much?http://edition.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/03/28/nuclear.fears.psychology/index.html?hpt=C2

We are scared of "nuclear" and would do everything possible to avoid it..in order to preserve our precious human life. But when we really look at it, our actions contradicts the way we ought to be treating this precious human life, don't we?

Our ignorance keeps us in this cycle. Ahh,...the need to gain wisdom, Buddha's wisdom is so needed. In the book, "A heart so dearly needed for liberation" by Geshe Lobsang Tharchin states that the main method Buddha became an infallible person was achieving ultimate wisdom, of which comes ultimate compassion. Wisdom shows us what are the excellent accumulation of merits.

Without having accumulated good causes Buddha Shakyamuni would not have been able to turn into a perfectly valid person. Knowing what are the excellent causes so that we can also engage ourselves in similar thoughts and deeds will be of most benefit.

Appreciates vajrastorm's sharing to engage in dharma work and practice for accumulation of merits. These are what we can certainly do.

vajrastorm

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2011, 04:21:39 PM »
I am revisiting this topic, as some fresh thoughts about it have come to mind. First of all is the knowledge(from the Lamrim) that  this precious optimum human rebirth provides us with the means of attaining whatever goals we wish for, be they goals of temporary happiness or ultimate 'permanent happiness( in the from of Full Enlightenment  or Liberation from suffering).

With this precious human rebirth, we can realize fully the Buddha nature and potential in us, within this lifetime.

Even Bodhisattvas in the Pure Land(according to the Lamrim) want a human rebirth. It is only through this precious human life that we can train in the three Principal aspects of the Path to full enlightenment. It is only the human body that is equipped for the practice of Tantra and Vajrayana, through which we can attain full enlightenment in one lifetime.

Helena

• Email
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2011, 05:40:26 PM »
Thanks for re-visiting this topic, Vajrastorm.

Your words reminded me of something.

It's always to revisit teachings that matter to us in Dharma or anything that helps to make us look deeper. In Dharma, more than anything else, I find that it is a continuous course of re-visits. We look at something or learn something and we re-visit it according how we grow or evolve. Gradually or even suddenly, we begin to see much more and our perspectives open up. The world in our minds becomes bigger.

I did make a video on this very same topic which you can view here
Small | Large

I was even criticized why I had given more 'air time' to the Protector than the Gurus.

To be honest, I was just reflecting on my own journey.

I would never deny that Gurus are above all the most precious of all in our human rebirth. But it was the Protector Practice which taught me how to appreciate and value my Guru more as time went by. Unlike some people, I did not immediately 'fell in love' with my Guru and connected with my Guru instantly. It took me a while. A very long while. I went through many series of doubts, challenging the Guru, you name it.

It took me a long time before I could say that I truly believed in my Guru and developed that firm faith in my Guru. And I do thank the Protector Practice immensely for helping me to get here.

I guess, everything in Dharma is inter-related. For each person's journey is not the same and we go about different routes to get to the same place. This was mine.

But what I am deeply thankful for is that I did arrive to this place, whereby I begin to appreciate my Guru and started understanding His teachings even more now, because I am listening with my heart and not just my mind. And I do ponder on the meanings and spend time reflecting on what they mean to me or how they would change me to a better person.

So, whether we begin by reading the Lamrim and that did it for us, or we found our way better with the help of a Dharma Protector or a Dharma friend, at least, we begin our spiritual journey and we work our way forward.

After all, when we appreciate and really understand our precious human rebirth, we will begin to understand why our Gurus will only live for Dharma and because of Dharma. All Gurus use every cell in their bodies for Dharma and to propagate Dharma. Otherwise, they see no reason to be here.

Helena

thaimonk

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2011, 07:19:57 PM »
I am revisiting this topic, as some fresh thoughts about it have come to mind. First of all is the knowledge(from the Lamrim) that  this precious optimum human rebirth provides us with the means of attaining whatever goals we wish for, be they goals of temporary happiness or ultimate 'permanent happiness( in the from of Full Enlightenment  or Liberation from suffering).

With this precious human rebirth, we can realize fully the Buddha nature and potential in us, within this lifetime.

Even Bodhisattvas in the Pure Land(according to the Lamrim) want a human rebirth. It is only through this precious human life that we can train in the three Principal aspects of the Path to full enlightenment. It is only the human body that is equipped for the practice of Tantra and Vajrayana, through which we can attain full enlightenment in one lifetime.

This is excellent. I heard this in a Dharma talk. Even the beings in the pure lands would like to get a human body to practice. With this human body we can use it to reap more sufferings or reach complete cessation of suffering.

Great post.

Damian.D

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2011, 09:39:00 PM »

This is excellent. I heard this in a Dharma talk. Even the beings in the pure lands would like to get a human body to practice. With this human body we can use it to reap more sufferings or reach complete cessation of suffering.

Great post.

Now I am confused... in my post on purelands TK mentioned that in the purelands our practice would be accelerated as it would be much more conducive environment to practice Dharma ie. its a pure realm so karma is different from the desire realm... our current existence i take it to mean.

But then from above its been said the best place to practice is in the human form.

So could I say....

"We struggle to get to a pureland to practice learn the Dharma  only to desire to come back to the human realm to practice and learn the Dharma"

Its sounds like the only form that can become a Buddha is the human form, is that correct?

Damian.D

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2011, 09:41:33 PM »
FYI        http://www.dorjeshugden.com/forum/index.php?topic=1177.0

This is the post I was referring to.

Douglas Royce

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2011, 01:56:44 PM »

Thanks for your perspective, Vajrastorm.

It helps me appreciate this human rebirth that I am fortunate to have.

This Forum is really cool! So much information.
Doug

shugdentruth

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2011, 02:43:58 PM »
Does this mean that now is the most opportune time to be human?? Since buddhism is so widely available all over the world since the fall of Tibet. On top of that, tibetan masters now speak in various languages. But on the other hand, I have read that we are approaching a dharma ending age. Which is it actually? How come the most opportune time is the end of the road? Does it mean that dharma is going to change? does it mean that its the most opportune moment because its most necessary right now?

WoselTenzin

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2011, 11:49:42 AM »
Does this mean that now is the most opportune time to be human?? Since buddhism is so widely available all over the world since the fall of Tibet. On top of that, tibetan masters now speak in various languages. But on the other hand, I have read that we are approaching a dharma ending age. Which is it actually? How come the most opportune time is the end of the road? Does it mean that dharma is going to change? does it mean that its the most opportune moment because its most necessary right now?

These times are called the Dharma ending age or degenerate times because delusion of sentient beings are strong and tendency towards spirituality is weak.  People are attracted to materialism, power and fame and the tendency to have wrong view that these things will bring happiness is pervasive.  Religion is deem to be something you turn to when you are in trouble and people who even have an inkling towards renunciation, compassion and wanting to achieve the higher goals of enlightenment are rare.

An opportune time for us to take a human rebirth is when our karma to encounter the necessary conditions for the practice of Dharma and to continue our spiritual journey ripens.  These conditions are the eight freedom and ten endowments of human rebirth (For more info, can refer to http://bgf.buddhism.org/graphics/bgf/transcript/BPath/talk01.htm).

If you are born as a human being in golden age where the Buddha himself is turning the wheel of Dharma but you do not have those necessary conditions to practice Dharma, it can cannot be called an opportune time to take a human rebirth.  On the other hand in degenerate age, if you have a the above conditions, indeed it is an opportune time for you to take a human rebirth.

Reena Searl

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2011, 05:53:39 PM »
Thanks for all the beneficial posts.

I remembered I listened to a very nice teaching about death meditation. I was fear to face the reality that WE WILL DIE ONE DAY, what’s the point of contemplating on DEATH ?

I realized after listened to the talk , I contemplating my own death ALARMED me that I have a precious human body and being meditate on death do help me to appreciate my time being alive!

Roberto

« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2011, 08:19:55 PM »
http://tvnz.co.nz/sunday-news/dead-buddhist-man-in-death-meditation-part-1-8-47-video-4246846
http://tvnz.co.nz/sunday-news/dead-buddhist-man-in-death-meditation-part-2-6-22-video-4246858

Here is a real life death mediation found in New Zealand, a little country just below Australia near the South Pole.

In this national TV Show it has a real life death mediation practitioner who remained for 3weeks without decay, decomposition or signs of death. Even though the heart had stopped beating and the blood had stopped flowing the mind is still within.

Amazing in this day and age, and very good proof that practice has results and that the teachings of the Buddha are still very much applicable today as they were thousands of years ago.

Very inspirational, do I wish to die a death uncontrolled? 

buddhalovely

• Email
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2012, 09:33:23 AM »
Human existence is therefore an extraordinarily rare and precious opportunity to learn the Buddhadhamma and to do meritorious deeds. Yet, because they do not know the Dhamma well enough, most people are extremely negligent and heedless. Rare though human rebirth is, the majority of people pass their lives oblivious of the Buddha-dhamma. Many who are born in non-Buddhist countries have little or no opportunity even to come into contact with the genuine and essential teaching of the Buddha.

I was born in a non-Buddhist country. Before the age of twenty-two, I had no contact at all with Buddhism. If I ever heard the word ‘Buddha’ I never paid any attention to it. Like most Westerners, I was only thinking about enjoying life as best I could, with little thought for my long term future. In typical western fashion, my education was almost totally secular. Religious education in my school was very limited. Children now learn about other religions besides Christianity, and are much more likely to know something about Buddhism than when I was young.

Those born in countries where other religions are practised, will be taught religious values and attitudes totally different to those of Buddhism. It may be more difficult for someone growing up in such a non-Buddhist culture to understand the Dhamma than it was for me, since I had no religious indoctrination — just a very good moral example set by my parents. Many followers of other religions are opposed to Buddhism, because they regard it as a godless and pessimistic religion that preaches annihilation of the self. If such wrong attitudes have been instilled from a young age, it is very difficult to awaken to the Buddha’s sublime teaching. Those born in communities where Buddhism has become severely corrupted over the centuries, will also have great difficulty in realising the true Dhamma.

The situation of those born in places where the orthodox teaching is still practised is much better. At least they will be inclined to do meritorious deeds such as offering alms, building monasteries and pagodas, showing respect to religious symbols, monks, teachers, and parents. They will know the basic tenets of Buddhism, and will have mundane right view.

However, even in such places, the majority of Buddhists do not rightly understand the true Dhamma. Many have a fatalistic view of kamma, and pray to the Buddha or offer alms, hoping for success in their worldly life. Some lay people tend to think that only monks can meditate and realise nibb?na. They try to make merit, but have only feeble aspirations to realise nibb?na in some future existence. For the present existence, they want to enjoy sensual pleasures, just like the ignorant masses who have no knowledge of Buddhism.

Tammy

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2012, 10:32:54 AM »
How true ! When we examine ourselves in the light of 18 Opportune Conditions that include 8 freedoms and 10 endowments, we would know and realized how fortunate we are to have all the qualities necessary to be near dharma and obtain Buddha's teachings.

Hence wasting this human life on things that would disappear eventually, would be the most silly thing that we could do. And yet, sadly, majority of our fellow human beings do not know or choose to ignore this fact and continue in their persuit of samsara pleasure
Down with the BAN!!!