Author Topic: Geshe Tendar Rinpoche  (Read 10692 times)

DSFriend

Geshe Tendar Rinpoche
« on: August 18, 2010, 04:07:36 PM »
Geshe Tendar Rinpoche's current incarnation was born in Mongolia and is now studying in Shar Gaden. Dorje Shugden while in trance of Kuten Lama (Gaden's oracle) formally recognized this unmistaken incarnation of Geshe Tendar. Geshe Tendar was one of the gurus of Kuten Lama.

Excerpt from
http://www.dorjeshugden.com/forum/index.php?topic=455.msg2880#msg2880

"Phagri Monastery
Phagri is a very strategic area, only an hour’s journey from Bhutan. It is also close to India. In that area was a monastery which was a branch of Shartse Collage that had been established by Geshe Palden Tendar. He was a great scholar and practitioner who came second in his final examination above thousands of other monks. After his arrival in Phagri he established the monastery, and engaged tantric retreats. On arrival in Phagri I left my relatives to join this monastery.
It was the custom of a monastery of another tradition in that area to receive geshes from upper Tantric College every three years, and so Geshe Palden Tendar came to Phagri. At the end of his three years Geshe Palden Tendar did not leave, but stayed in the area to benefit all beings there. He established a monastery and built a retreat hermitage in the mountains, engaging in Yamantaka retreats many times. It is through his activities and those of Dromo Geshe Rinpoche that the Gelugpa tradition was established in this remote part of Tibet. The dharmapala of both Dromo Geshe Rinpoche and Geshe Palden Tendar was Gyalchen Dorje Shugden, the Vajra Mighty One.

The influence of these two great lamas reached India, to Darjeeling and Kalimpong, for example. Dromo Geshe Rinpoche left messages placing all responsibility for his monastery with Trijang Dorje Chang (1901-1981), who later became tutor to the present Dalai Lama, and also with His Holiness the Thirteenth Dalai Lama. He also gave instructions for how his body should be treated and how the stupa containing his relics should be built. Kyabje Trijang Dorje Chang came to Phagri to fulfil these instructions and from that time many lamas came to the area to teach."

It is interesting to note that Phagri Monastery was where Lama Zopa spent many of his early years studying.
http://www.institutvajrayogini.fr/LZR2009/en/LZR_E.htm

"Kyabje Zopa Rinpoche, born in Thami, in Nepal en 1946, at an early age would often venture along the path that led to the cave where the yogi Sharpa Nyingma Kunsang Yeshe passed the last twenty years of his life in meditation. The young child was finally recognized as as the incarnation of the “Lawudo lama ”, the name by which he was known, a great master of tantric teachings in the Nyingma tradition. At the age of four Rinpoche was taken by his uncle to a small monastery at border of Nepal and Tibet where he stayed many years learning to read and write, memorizing the buddhist texts that would later become the foundation of his studies. He then returned to Tibet where he received the novice monk's ordination and continued his studies at Geshe Domo's monastery in Phagri."

It is inspiring to read of Dorje Shugden lamas returning to continue their beneficial works!

Related info:
Blogsite - Among Friends of Je Tsongkhapa
by Duke Okkelberg - Tenzin Sungrab
http://friendsofjetsongkhapa.blogspot.com/2010/05/young-tendar-tulku-rinpoche-is-now-here.html

beggar

Re: Geshe Tendar Rinpoche
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 06:41:07 PM »
AH, another account of an illustrious lama. DSfriend - you're a real friend! Thanks for the ray of light today! And even more auspiciousness, it is always good news to hear all the updates from  our dear friend Tenzin Sungrab about the young tendar rinpoche who is now back!

these connections between past and present are connecting all over the world and these young teachers rise yet again, creating a new generation of teachers that are leading the way. Let's be really worthy of these teachers and what they are giving to us: a whole lineage of pure, unbroken practice.

The question to ask ourselves is whether we are reflecting them well in our own practice and can we keep the lineage alive ourselves? And how?

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 09:59:45 AM »
This is great to see a thread on the illustrious Tendar Rinpoche. If I had any doubts concerning Tulkus in the past, they were completely eradicated after spending time with the current Tendar Rinpoche. Being in his presence has been an incredible blessing for me, and each day that I get to spend time with him deepens my own commitment to him. He is like no other child that I have met. He is intelligent, witty, comical, sensitive, and wholely devoted to the spiritual path. Sometimes I have to remind myself that he is only 10 years old, because it really feels like I am talking with a mature, grown man.

Next month is his birthday. He will be turning 11. I have been invited to his household to celebrate with him. When I asked him what he wants for his birthday, he humbly replied that I had given him much already and he did not want another gift from me. I still plan on giving him a new rosery, as his broke during debate lessons.

We are very fortunate to have this great being to bring our precious lineage well into the future.

LosangKhyentse

• WORLD PEACE PROTECTOR DORJE SHUGDEN
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 11:17:27 AM »
If any of the Oracles of Dorje Shugden recognizes a tulku, I will trust and believe all the way. If there was no use for the Tulku system, Dorje Shugden would not entertain any inquiries. Also if the Tulku system was damaging, then of course, Dorje Shugden would not recognize any Tulkus.

The Tulku system is so very important within Tibetan Buddhism in general and within the Gelug system. We will die, we will reincarnate and we will take rebirth. So if we practice the tantras correctly, one of the side benefits is that we can control our rebirth. So two and two makes four. If we can take charge of our rebirth, then why not Tulkus.

Within Tulkus, there are many level of attainments also. Their ranks or height of their thrones do not always indicate their attainments. How far a tulku has progressed on the path in their previous lives is how much control they will have over their rebirths.

I for one, am all for the Tulku system which is alive, active and thriving. Many great Tulkus are able to return, be recognized and continue their work. It is very important for the Dorje Shugden lineage tulkus to return. It proves to everyone clearly that practicing Dorje Shugden does not bring negative states of rebirth. How can the worship of a Buddha such as Dorje Shugden bring damage in any way.

When we worship Dorje Shugden, we are worshipping Manjushri. Since we are worshipping Manjushri, we are connecting to all the matured wisdom of all Buddhas.  Therefore the 7 limbs offered to Dorje Shugden is equal to offering the 7 limbs to all the Buddhas of the ten directions and three times. It is incredible merits just to offer one light or a single stick of  incense to Dorje Shugden.

Easily from Dorje Shugden's side, we can say he is a yidam. But from the path of presentation of his puja text, he is propitiated as protector. It would be wonderful if Dorje Shugden can be used as a Yidam with the full generation and completion stages of the highest yoga tantra included within his practice. It would require that we request Dorje Shugden via the oracles to give such text or a highly accomplished level lama can compose one such as Pabongka Rinpoche or Gaden Trisur Lungrik Namgyal. It would be the first text of it's kind and highly blessed as the lineage is short and hence making it quick in attainments. I wish very much a text and practice for Dorje Shugden to be practiced as a yidam would arise. I would IMMEDIATELY engage in the practice and await the festival of attainments to be gained in order to benefit others to happen.

tk

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 09:12:32 AM »
I saw this lovely photo on Duke Okkelberg's facebook and just wanted to share it here.
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

vajralight

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 11:48:46 PM »
If I have to choose between following the advice of an oracle of any Deity, (even Dorje Shugden) or my Guru, I will go with my Guru.

Vajra

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 03:22:44 AM »
If I have to choose between following the advice of an oracle of any Deity, (even Dorje Shugden) or my Guru, I will go with my Guru.

Vajra

There is no choosing and such a circumstance will never happen because the Guru and the Dharma Protector is one and the same nature. The Dharma protector will simply echo what the Guru had said. As I am aware that there are some people who have a hard time grappling with the fact that the Dharma protector can manifest themselves via an oracle, then they should also have absolute faith in their own Guru as well. So what are you going to do if your Guru happens to trust the advice of an oracle but you are unable to accept that fact because you just cant? What will you do in that instance?

vajralight

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 02:46:10 PM »
If my Guru says trust the oracle, I will. If he says don't trust oracles I won't.

Vajra

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 03:00:49 PM »
If any of the Oracles of Dorje Shugden recognizes a tulku, I will trust and believe all the way. If there was no use for the Tulku system, Dorje Shugden would not entertain any inquiries. Also if the Tulku system was damaging, then of course, Dorje Shugden would not recognize any Tulkus.

The Tulku system is so very important within Tibetan Buddhism in general and within the Gelug system. We will die, we will reincarnate and we will take rebirth. So if we practice the tantras correctly, one of the side benefits is that we can control our rebirth. So two and two makes four. If we can take charge of our rebirth, then why not Tulkus.

Within Tulkus, there are many level of attainments also. Their ranks or height of their thrones do not always indicate their attainments. How far a tulku has progressed on the path in their previous lives is how much control they will have over their rebirths.

I for one, am all for the Tulku system which is alive, active and thriving. Many great Tulkus are able to return, be recognized and continue their work. It is very important for the Dorje Shugden lineage tulkus to return. It proves to everyone clearly that practicing Dorje Shugden does not bring negative states of rebirth. How can the worship of a Buddha such as Dorje Shugden bring damage in any way.

When we worship Dorje Shugden, we are worshipping Manjushri. Since we are worshipping Manjushri, we are connecting to all the matured wisdom of all Buddhas.  Therefore the 7 limbs offered to Dorje Shugden is equal to offering the 7 limbs to all the Buddhas of the ten directions and three times. It is incredible merits just to offer one light or a single stick of  incense to Dorje Shugden.

Easily from Dorje Shugden's side, we can say he is a yidam. But from the path of presentation of his puja text, he is propitiated as protector. It would be wonderful if Dorje Shugden can be used as a Yidam with the full generation and completion stages of the highest yoga tantra included within his practice. It would require that we request Dorje Shugden via the oracles to give such text or a highly accomplished level lama can compose one such as Pabongka Rinpoche or Gaden Trisur Lungrik Namgyal. It would be the first text of it's kind and highly blessed as the lineage is short and hence making it quick in attainments. I wish very much a text and practice for Dorje Shugden to be practiced as a yidam would arise. I would IMMEDIATELY engage in the practice and await the festival of attainments to be gained in order to benefit others to happen.

tk

Dear TK, thank you for your wonderful explanation!

I too would really hope for a Yidam practice of Dorje Shugden and to do his meditations as if he was a Yidam. It would be a really quick path to help my mind attain the qualities that it needs for me to develop as a practitioner and as a person. To some extent, I already see him as a Yidam and in his liturgy, he can grant accomplishments which i do not see in other Dharma protector texts. Perhaps all we need to do is request?