Author Topic: Dorje Shugdens sanskrit name ?  (Read 7528 times)

Zach

Dorje Shugdens sanskrit name ?
« on: August 14, 2010, 04:02:52 PM »
Would would it be ?

Dorje Shugden = Vajra....

honeydakini

Re: Dorje Shugdens sanskrit name ?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 04:54:08 PM »
There's an interesting thought!

i don't know the answer I'm afraid Zach but it does bring up another question - does anyone know if Dorje Shugden has been incorporated into other traditions of Buddhism outside Tibet? I suppose if it's been incorporated into Indian Buddhist traditions, we'd then be able to trace his Sanskrit name too.

I've been trying to do some searches online about Dorje Shugden and india, but so far all I'm getting are results on the recent controversies etc.

DSFriend

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 05:57:15 PM »
Would would it be ?

Dorje Shugden = Vajra....

Dear Zach,

Unfortunately the only information that I found on the internet is http://books.google.com/books?id=Bo7_pF-ab_wC&pg=PA365&lpg=PA365&dq=dorje+shugden+%2B+india+%2B+sanskrit&source=bl&ots=CXUil9qQfv&sig=wUtVgfAzML1O9Y3tz9k4xt2aVO8&hl=en&ei=0c9mTOLEJoGgnwf9tLDBBQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CBUQ6AEwATge#v=onepage&q=dorje%20shugden%20%2B%20india%20%2B%20sanskrit&f=false

It completely misses out the Sanskrit name for Dorje Shugden...(!)

I have extracted this from the Shugden Society website:

Rdo.rje is Tibetan for the Sanskrit word vajra. Anything so designated refers to the state of complete enlightenment, used in the vajrayana vehicle of Buddhism as symbol of the indivisibility of [illusory] body and mind [of clear light] and their ultimate union. Shugden means being endowed with power, force, strength. The name thus means "the one with vajra force," or the force of the Buddha's enlightenment in specific actions. For different historical interpretations of Dorje Shugden at the intersection of Tibetan mix of religion and politics, see Part II, 17th Century.

It doesn't say what the sanskrit equivalent for 'Shugden' is, either.

Will keep looking.

DSFriend

Mohani

• duldzin
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 08:53:52 PM »
Hi Zach,
Vajra Begawan Rudra

Zach

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 10:40:49 PM »
Hi Zach,
Vajra Begawan Rudra

Vajra Begawan Rudra what a beautiful name  :)
This literally translates as the Tibetan equivilant of Dorje shugden Dunc ?  ;D
My thoughts where perhapes for those when they hear the name Dorje Shugden and develop unconductive thoughts it would be useful to skilfully approach such people by using a different name so they dont automatically throw up a wall against such knowledge  :)

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 01:37:08 AM »
Hi Zach,
Vajra Begawan Rudra

Vajra Begawan Rudra what a beautiful name  :)
This literally translates as the Tibetan equivilant of Dorje shugden Dunc ?  ;D
My thoughts where perhapes for those when they hear the name Dorje Shugden and develop unconductive thoughts it would be useful to skilfully approach such people by using a different name so they dont automatically throw up a wall against such knowledge  :)

Hey Zach - my Buddha - that is a good idea! Hmmmm it certainly bears considering... although I personally LOVE the name Dorje Shugden.

BUT... it is something to consider - to re-brand Dorje Shugden... but as a 'bigger picturist', so much effort has been spent to raise the profile of Dorje Shugden that it would be a waste to re-name him when he is so well known.

As TK said in his commentary that "All the the destruction happening against him, he never makes comments, speaks against nor advices undharmic actions. Because it can all be fully reversed in a short time when the time is right."

http://dorjeshugden.com/wp/?p=1425

Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

Helena

• Email
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 02:18:49 AM »
I agree with what WB is saying here.

Dorje Shugden is the most famous name now, or infamous - depending on how you would look at it.

In the article of this website at http://dorjeshugden.com/wp/?p=143 - there is an excerpt called The Changing of the Guardian. Here, it is mentioned that Dorje Shugden is waiting at the Southern Gate, waiting for the right time to enter and take over from Pehar/Nechung as the Chief Dharmapala of Tibet.

“The southern gate is held closed in accordance with an old tradition that the chokyong Dorje Shugden is waiting at this entrance for the day to come on which he will be allowed to enter the monastery, to succeed Pehar as the chief dharmapala of Tibet…”

UNIVERSAL PROTECTOR OF FUTURE BUDDHISM

HH Kyabje Trijang Dorje Chang has opened the door for His Holiness the Dalai Lama’s lotus feet to tread the path from beleaguered Tibet into the hearts of the world, by invoking Dorje Shugden’s holy advice.
HH Kyabje Trijang Dorje Chang has predicted that Dorje Shugden will become a universal protector of future Buddhism, which was recently confirmed by one of the great living Mahasiddhas who told us, “People say that Gyalchen Dorje Shugden is only protecting the Geluk tradition, but Dorje Shugden is now a universal Dharma protector.”

The article talks about a paradigm shift that has been happening as early as the 19th century. It explains that all the mishaps, oracles being wrong, oracles being removed and re-installed, and a host of confusing occurrences are attributed to the fact that the changing of the guardians are taking place as we speak.

If we go along with this, then it might be just that Dorje Shugden's time to reign as the Universal Protector of Buddhism is about to materialize. Because Buddhism is no longer closeted just within Tibet at this day and age.

Hence, the name Dorje Shugden will be soon be revered and not discriminated against.

As with impermanence, everything changes. So, everything can be reversed - all in good time.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Helena