Author Topic: Impermanence - by any which way or form or name - nothing lasts  (Read 8918 times)

kurava

• Email
Re: Impermanence - by any which way or form or name - nothing lasts
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2010, 11:56:57 AM »
We often relate impermanence to losing good times, good things ...and we attach a not so positive flavor to the word.

Well, thanks to impermanence, bad times will pass, bad experience will turn to good ones !

Thanks to impermanence, the whole world change and evolve. Life becomes exciting because of change. Thanks to impermanence ordinary beings like us can improve and become buddhas.

Impermanence is beyond our control but the experience of it is up to us. If we choose to look at it positively, it will be an opportunity for great advancement and transformation.

triesa

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2010, 04:16:52 PM »
We often relate impermanence to losing good times, good things ...and we attach a not so positive flavor to the word.

Well, thanks to impermanence, bad times will pass, bad experience will turn to good ones !

Thanks to impermanence, the whole world change and evolve. Life becomes exciting because of change. Thanks to impermanence ordinary beings like us can improve and become buddhas.

Impermanence is beyond our control but the experience of it is up to us. If we choose to look at it positively, it will be an opportunity for great advancement and transformation.

Very well said Kurava. I like that positive attitude towards impermanence. And that is the very reason why we still have a chance to change the way we think, to change the way we act, to eventually to change the karma we will be creating............

Helena

• Email
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2010, 03:07:09 AM »
Wise words, Kurava! I always enjoy reading your writings. You write some of best lines.

It is really true - if we choose to always look at life and people through the lenses of negativity, then that is definitely all we will see, and all we will experience. Because we sow what we see and think. Hence, the results will be as such.

However, if no matter what happens, we always look through the lenses of positivity and Dharma - then we will always find better ways to overcome our problems and challenges. We will even be forced to think beyond our means, our existing means that is because we have not been challenged in this way before.

Going beyond our existing means is a good thing. That means, we are pushing ourselves to another level.

No change comes with ease, unless one is truly enlightened.

But without change, everything will stay the same and be stagnant. There will be no real growth or expansion.

Impermanence is a good thing - forces us to become much better and value what's really worthy.

Helena

DSFriend

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2010, 04:37:54 PM »
Dear Kaurava

Thank you for your insightful sharing on impermanence. Yes, so often due to our negative perceptions, we fight against change itself...

Dondrup Shugden

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2015, 10:39:19 AM »
The meaning of Impermanence in the Buddhist essence is deep, huge and at most times unfathomable. 

Now is my 2 cents worth of what I believe as the meaning of Impermanence.  It is also about dying which means that we do not cling onto the bodily form but to expect that it will change in compliance to Buddha's teaching of one of the 4 Nobel truths that the body will age and have diseases.  An Impermanence that stares us every day.

Impermanence is also with relationship which can be broken by fights, disagreements and once again death.

Impermanence also applies to materialistic properties as they can be lost.

Impermanence is also applicable to changes that is constant and holding on will create great unhappiness.

But the paramount understanding that suits me to cultivate myself is that all things are impermanent as they are not solid as we believe.  All things happens from dependant arising and as such has not intrinsic values and  as such they are impermanent.

If we can accept the above points then we can continue our journey to develop emptiness. My simple logic is that if all things and phenomena are impermanent then they are empty of meaning. So no point in creating reactions to them.