Author Topic: Why the round hat?  (Read 9924 times)

bufan

Why the round hat?
« on: July 01, 2010, 12:52:43 PM »
I am new here and have lots to learn..
Can anyone tell me why Dorje Shugden has a round hat?

LosangKhyentse

• WORLD PEACE PROTECTOR DORJE SHUGDEN
Re: Why the round hat?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 01:01:46 PM »

Dear Bufan,

Please read through the hundreds of very interesting threads that has been accummulated over the past few years on this forum that is available. Almost anything you want to know re Dorje Shugden is available. It would expedite your learning tremendously if I may suggest.

Thank you,

TK

bufan

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 02:58:43 PM »
Thank you for the advise TK.
I shall search the site more..

small uncle

• Email
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 03:21:39 AM »
Wasn't that also symbolises that Lord Dorje Shugden is everywhere? Because the hat is also worn by Lamas when they travel... please correct me on this if i am wrong. Thank you.

The threads are very interesting. Got to take some time for me to finish reading them hehe

Big Uncle

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 04:10:28 AM »
Wasn't that also symbolises that Lord Dorje Shugden is everywhere? Because the hat is also worn by Lamas when they travel... please correct me on this if i am wrong. Thank you.

The threads are very interesting. Got to take some time for me to finish reading them hehe

That's right small uncle. The round hat is a ceremonial hat worn when Lamas travel and it also symbolises the ultimate view of Nagarjuna of emptiness that is free from two extremes (nihilism and eternalism) like what crimsontide mentioned. Dorje Shugden wears this 'realisation' on his head, directly showing his enlightened nature and that the hat also represents his readiness to assist practitioners like what small uncle said.

honeydakini

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 05:16:46 AM »
dear all,
for a quick yet comprehensive overview of the symbology and iconography of Dorje Shugden, I'd like to refer you all to "I am new here" link that's on the front page of the main website. Here it is: http://dorjeshugden.com/wp/?p=3556

If you scroll down, you'll see a clear diagram and explanation of all the different aspects of DS's imagery.

There's other very helpful information on that document to, as to the nature of DS, his lineage of incarnations and a quick prayer to get you started if you're a newbie :)

Yeshe

• Email
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 11:10:07 AM »

Answer 1:  Because he has a round head.

Asnwer 2:  Because he likes to wear a UFO as a symbol of ubiquity.

LOL :)
A compassionate mind cannot be penetrated by anger or attachment.

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 02:18:55 PM »
 Here is a photo that I took from inside Trokhang Dechenchog that shows his round hat hanging on the wall.

emptymountains

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010, 02:22:02 PM »
dear all,
for a quick yet comprehensive overview of the symbology and iconography of Dorje Shugden, I'd like to refer you all to "I am new here" link that's on the front page of the main website. Here it is: http://dorjeshugden.com/wp/?p=3556

If you scroll down, you'll see a clear diagram and explanation of all the different aspects of DS's imagery.

Thanks, I hadn't seen this before. I found this, in particular, to be most illuminating:

Wrathful or fierce look on Dorje Shugden and Snowlion - From our side, it looks “frightening” because ego fears nothing more than confrontation with truth...

a friend

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2010, 12:18:12 AM »
Big Uncle
it also symbolises the ultimate view of Nagarjuna of emptiness that is free from two extremes (nihilism and eternalism) like what crimsontide mentioned.

Why did Crimsontide post disappear? It was too good to be true, somebody speaking out of the blue of our Lord Nagarjuna.

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 05:25:25 AM »

Wrathful or fierce look on Dorje Shugden and Snowlion - From our side, it looks “frightening” because ego fears nothing more than confrontation with truth...

In Dorje Shugden's Sadhana, it says that
"In a manner, pleased with the practitioner,
Fierce expression destroying enemies and obstructers,"

I feel it means that if we keep our samaya well (or have kept it well in previous lives), Dorje Shugden will look happy with us but if we don't, he'll look angry. I find it interesting that i have friends who when they see Dorje Shugden's image for the first time, some will freak out yet others find him very warm and caring! Such a contrasting reaction to the same image and proof that it is our projections not Dorje Shugden which creates such emotions within us.
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being