Author Topic: Dulzin Drakpa Gyeltsen-short bio  (Read 8895 times)

LosangKhyentse

• WORLD PEACE PROTECTOR DORJE SHUGDEN
Dulzin Drakpa Gyeltsen-short bio
« on: March 19, 2010, 02:53:08 PM »
Duldzin Drakpa Gyaltsen (1374 -1434)

Name Variants: Drakpa Gyaltsen

Duldzin Drakpa Gyaltsen (’dul ’dzin grags pa rgyal mtshan) was born in Drangyul (sbrang yul), in U. A Kadampa monk, he was a main disciple of Tsongkhapa Lobzang Drakpa (tsong kha pa blo bzang grags pa, 1357-1419) and Gyaltsab Je Dharma Rinchen (rgyal tshab rje dar ma rin chen, 1364-1432). He was regarded by some followers of the Gelug tradition as one of the Je Yabsesum (rje yab sras gsum), the three main disciples of Tsongkhapa, in place of Khedrub Je Gelek Pelzang (mkhas grub rje dge legs dpal bzang, 1385-1438). He ordained with Drigung Choje (l’bri gung chos rje) and studied also with Drigung Kutog Nyernyipa (’bri gung sku thog nyer gnyis pa, d.u.). He later studied Vinaya at Draktsan (brag tshan), and mastered the complete works of Buton Rinchen Drub (bu ston rin chen grub, 1290-1364).

Tsongkhapa praised Drakpa Gyaltsen for his strict mastery of the monastic codes. He is known for his writing on the Vinaya as well as on the Sarvadurgatiparisodhana tantra. Most of his known compositions are currently unaccounted for.

Drakpa Gyaltsen founded the monastery of Tsunmo Tsal (btsun mo tshal) in Tagtse Dzong (stag rtse rdzong), in U.

His students numbered all of the most important Gelug lamas of his day. Among them were Jamyang Choje Tashi Palden (’jam dbyangs chos rje bkra shis dpal ldan, 1379-1449), the founder of Drepung Monastery (’bras spungs).

Sources

Tshe mchog gling yongs ’dzin ye shes rgyal mtshan. 1970 (1787). Byang chub lam gyi rim pa’i bla ma brgyud pa’i rnam par thar pa rgyal mtshan mdzes pa’i rgyan mchog phul byung nor bu’i phreng ba. New Delhi: Ngawang Gelek Demo. Vol I, pp. 822 ff.

Grags pa ’byung gnas. 1992. Gangs can mkhas grub rim byon ming mdzod. Lanzhou: Kan su’u mi rigs dpe skrun khang, pp. 886-887.

Gene Smith
February 2010

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I extracted from:

http://tibetanlineages.org/biographies/view/202/2891

Although the bio is short it is very inspiring. Traditonally there's the Je Yab Se sum statue/thangkas sets.

Je Yab refers to Father Tsongkapa. Se is referring to the two close sons which is Kedrup Rinpoche and Gyaltsab Rinpoche are always depicted on the right and left respectively from our side of looking at the thangka.

According to this bio, Dulzin was so highly revered that in the father and son 'team' Dulzin is to replace Kedrup Rinpoche in the Je yab se sum depictions. That is amazing.
Also one of the students of Dulzin is the founder of Drepung which has produced countless enlightened teachers even till now.

Of course everyone knows that Dulzin Drakpa Gyeltsen is one of the previous incarnations of Dorje Shugden during the time of Tsongkapa.

tk

Tsongkhapa and Two Sons

Dulzin Drakpa Gyeltsen
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 03:19:08 PM by Admin »

a friend

Re: Dulzin Drakpa Gyeltsen-short bio
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 04:25:04 AM »

Such a beautiful thangka of our Master at the time when he was asked for the first time "to protect".
Thank you TK!

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 05:24:11 AM »
Thank you for this lovely article and image. I'd like to ask if anyone can shed some light on this issue. I read that Dulzin Drakpa Gyeltsen was asked to be the first throne holder of Tsongkhapa but he declined... does anyone know why he declined? Was it so he could manifest as the Protector later?

Also when Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen was feted as a possible candidate for the 5th Dalai Lama, he wasn't interested... for this, perhaps it indicates that Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen was not interested in being a political leader?

Thank you.

Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

dsnowlion

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 12:03:27 PM »
It is just a great blessing to be able to view this image - Thank you TK. This image of Dulzin Drakpa Gyeltsen is so peaceful, gentle and humble. An example for all disciples to follow and definitely not a reflection of anything evil or ghostly.

honeydakini

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 05:19:13 PM »
Thank you for this lovely article and image. I'd like to ask if anyone can shed some light on this issue. I read that Dulzin Drakpa Gyeltsen was asked to be the first throne holder of Tsongkhapa but he declined... does anyone know why he declined? Was it so he could manifest as the Protector later?

Also when Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen was feted as a possible candidate for the 5th Dalai Lama, he wasn't interested... for this, perhaps it indicates that Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen was not interested in being a political leader?

Thank you.

I'd be very interested to know why he declined also.

Further, I have heard that although he was Tsongkhapa's foremost disciples, many accounts nowadays deliberately exclude him as beings any of Tsongkhapa's disciples - likely to be linked to the ban of course... which brings up rather interesting question as to how history seems to be very easily "erased" or ignored in the light of current political situations. If Dulzin is within DS incarnation lineage, ignoring it won't change the fact that it has happened. It's like trying to deny that your grandfather is your grandfather.

So it comes to a rather sorry state of affairs that incarnation lineages cannot be continued and certain tulkus cannot be recognised for who they really are because of these political reasons.

Still, I suppose the positive way of looking at this is that no matter what their names are or who they are recognised as, these true tulkus will manifest their great works and benefit anyway, regardless!

thor

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 08:28:19 PM »

Thank you.

Don't think being the throneholder of tsongkhapa would affect whether he can manifest as the protector. Panchen Sonam Dragpa was the 15th Gaden Tripa and PSD and DDG are of the same mindstream. Anyway, at that point, Dulzin Drakpa Gyaltsen had already agreed to protect Tsongkhapa's teachings when approached by Nechung.

Anyone have any answers to WB's question?

Big Uncle

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 02:58:24 AM »
The Great Promise Made by Dulzin Drakpa Gyeltsen
Extracted from Melody Delighting The Ocean of Protectors - Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche

When Dorje Dragden, overlord of the haughty ones
Repeatedly urged you fulfill your vow to arise
As a Dharma protector uncommon to the Geden,
You generated that mind of wrathful courage, praise to you!

Numerous times, during breaks between sessions of the great Manjushri Tsongkhapa's teachings at Ganden, there was a boy wearing white clothes who would come before him and demand, 'You must give me a helper!' Gyaltsab Je and Kedrub Choje knew the boy was an emanation of Pehar but never said anything. Since, at that time, Dulzin Dragpa Gyaltsen was the elder leader of the disciples receiving teachings, one day he said to the boy, 'It won't do for you to keep coming here and disturbing Je Lama when he is giving teachings! I'll give you whatever help it is that you want!' When he said that, the boy said, 'That ismy purpose! It is your help that I have been waiting to find! Now, here at this time, among all of the disciples, you have accepted!' Having said that, the boy became invisible and disappeared. At the time of Dulzin Dragpa Gyaltsen's later incarnation, Panchen Sonam Dragpa, the overlord of all of the haughty gods and spirits that exist in the world, Dorje Dragden, said to the Panchen,
'Manjusri of Blissful Intelligence has insisted that I should principally protect the Geden Teachings, but since I have already sworn to Padmasambhava that I would protect all of Buddha's Teachings in general, there is no way that I can principally protect only the Geden Teachings. Now Panchen, you yourself, among holders of the Geden Teachings these days, have the highest qualities of learning and realization. Not only that, you must arise as a wrathful protector of the Geden Teachings to fulfill the commitment you have previously made!'
At that time, saying only that he would check, the master did not commit himself. Then, when his later incarnation, Tulku Dragpa Gyaltsen, was urged by the Great Dharma King Nechung to remember his previous promise, Dragpa Gyaltsen asked, 'What promise?' seeming not to remember. Pehar gave him something from his hand, saying, 'If you take this and meditate, you will clearly remember.' Just as he said, by staying in seclusion, the master was reminded and generated fierce courage that did not shrink from arising in the form of a powerful fierce swift Dharma protector uncommon to the Geden in accordance with his previous promise. It is that demonstration of courage for which he is being praised in this verse.

The way that Nechung Gyalchen Dorje Dragden urged Panchen Sonam Dragpa to arise in the form of a fierce protector of the Geden Teachings is clear in the Drepung edition of the Panchen's biography. Moreover, if we examine carefully the last vision cited above, that Tulku Dragpa Gyaltsen had on the third day of the third month of the fire monkey year, before his sudden death at the age of thirty?eight in the fifth month of that year, from the second verse onwards, from 'Guide of devas and humans, Arhat Upagupta,' up to 'It is very important to understand...that this is the meaning of the drawn picture of samaya!' one can see it there, as well.   
Also, in the great master Padmasambhava's Exhortation Address he said,

honeydakini

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 04:27:55 PM »
wonderful article Big Uncle. Thanks for sharing this great gem!!

I have been looking for information about Nechung encouraging Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen to arise as a wrathful protector - this article is very clear. Thank you.

It is very interesting how clear it is here that Nechung played such an integral part in encouraging Dorje Shugden to arise as who he is... interesting especially given the recent claim that Nechung was the one who discouraged Dalai Lama from practising DS, claiming him to be a harmful spirit. Why would he encourage a Dharma protector to arise and then proclaim many years later that he is now a spirit and should be discouraged?

wow, looks like more and more and more holes and kinks in this argument eh!  :-\ :-\ :-\

dsnowlion

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 06:55:50 PM »
Thank you big uncle for that interesting post! It is most delightful to read information such as these that gives increases our faith and inspires us towards our practice even further.

And it is H.H Trijang Rinpoche who wrote it what more do we need to say. So yes why would Nechung who he himself requested for Dorje Shugden to appear now says Dorje Shugden is Bad? This can only be made sense when I read the previous Forum post by TK on Pehar Gyalpo (Nechung) harms http://www.dorjeshugden.com/forum/index.php?topic=646.msg5688#new

Perhaps it is not Nechung who is taking possession of the oracle, perhaps it was someone else? ::)

Midakpa

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2010, 05:13:10 AM »
Thank you for the information on Lord Dulzin.  I'm learning more and more about the Dorje Shugden lineage. Reading their biographies, even though they are rather brief, makes me feel closer to them. If only we could find their writings, then a compilation could be made of their works. I was struck by Dulzin's picture, especially the hands, the way they are folded. It's incredible.

thor

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2010, 04:29:52 PM »
Yes Midakpa, the way Dulzin's hands are folded and in fact his entire posture and being is a perfect example of a perfect student. You can even see the traditional water bottle that he carries.

Here's another extract of a biography of Dulzin Drakpa Gyaltsen

Tsong Khapa placed him in charge of the building Gaden monastery and did so according to the rules of the vinaya, regarding requesting land from local gods, blessing the area, and determining correct measurements of the monks houses. But as the years past by, the monks made larger living quarters but at the start, things were done properly and only the shrine was large to accommodate assemblies of monks. Tsong Khapa had three main students; Khedrup-je, Gyeltsab-Je and Dulzen Drags-pa the oldest. [another sign that perhaps Dulzin was offered the throne of Tsongkhapa first]

Tsong Khapa made Drags-pa Gyeltsen responsible for the monasteries and teachings and when Je Rinpoche died, he took care of his relics and constructed a stupa to house them. In Jamba-Ling he made a monastery with retreat houses for 800 monks.

Before Gaden, Sera and Drepung rose in reputation, there was a very famous monastery called Goton, but due to negative potential it became weak. Dulzin went there and did teachings to strengthen the vinaya rules and again it rose in glory. (do-ten sta-ma good and do-ten sta-ma re no good). Now if in the monastery rules are kept with good morality then patrons will have faith and if not then no patrons, less faith, new monks won't come here. In this way, he helped Goton.

Tsong Khapa made him responsible for his monastery and teachings. He wrote vinaya rules regarding retreats, preliminaries, during the retreats and the conclusion of the retreats (Eg. borrowed things before retreat), commentaries on Guyhasamaja, Heruka, Great Wheel of Vajrapani. He also wrote commentaries of the three kinds of Yamantaka.

When Tsong Khapa gave teachings, there was a protector named Na-chung (Pehar), who would come to the teachings in the form of a young man. Pehar was requested by an old lama to be the protector of Tsong Khapa's teachings. Due to a previous commitment that he had made to Padmasambhava, Pehar felt that he could not fulfill this request. However, Pehar resolved to find a guardian for Tson Khapa's teachings. So when Pehar went to Tsong Khapa's teachins in the aspect of a young man, he always asked to make request. Kedrup-Je and Gyaltsab-Je knew what he wanted and they also knew that Dulzin would be the answer to his request, but they did not say anything. Finally, Dulzin Drags-pa asked him what he wanted. Pehar spoke, "I am only a general protector and I want a protector specially for the Dharma of Je Tsong Khapa". The only person to answer him was Dulzin Drags-pa. He said "I will be the guardian of Tsong Khapa's teachings". Na-chung said, "Very good. So, I will meet you again, and don't forget your promise". Suddenly he disappeared.

Drags-pa Gyeltsen's biography was written by Abbot Lowda Namka Gyeltsen. He spoke to Vajrapani and requested his history. Vajrapani explained to Lama Geltsen that Dulzen did much for the Dharma and when he died, he went to Tusita to see Tsong Khapa, Maitreya, Atisha.

So much for Nechung warning that Dorje Shugden is an evil spirit.

Midakpa

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 11:58:59 AM »
Dear Duldzin,

Thank you for the biography. I'll read it carefully and compare it with other versions. I'm also downloading the biographies of other Tibetan masters in order to study them well because they are such an inspiration.

Midakpa
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 12:00:32 PM by Midakpa »