Author Topic: The Ultimate Guide to Vegan Meats and Meat Substitutes  (Read 6555 times)

Tracy

The Ultimate Guide to Vegan Meats and Meat Substitutes
« on: November 10, 2019, 08:02:56 AM »
The Ultimate Guide to Vegan Meats and Meat Substitutes

by Rhea Parsons

Veggie-centric dishes are awesome but when you crave something ‘meaty’ you need to turn to some delicious meaty meatless dishes. There are lots of packaged vegan meats and meat substitutes in the market that you can buy but this guide is about using less processed foods to substitute for meat. We also highly recommend downloading the Food Monster App  — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, plant-based, vegan and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help you get healthy and strong!

Here are some amazing plant-based meat substitutes!

1. Tofu
Tofu is a great substitute for meats including pork, chicken, beef, and seafood in recipes. It’s made from soybeans and is high in protein and calcium. Tofu has been a staple of Asian cuisine for ages, but most people think of tofu when they hear the words “vegetarian” and “vegan.” Tofu gets a bad rap as being soft, spongy, bland, and tasteless, but that doesn’t have to be true. Buy extra-firm tofu and press the heck out of it. Or, freeze it and then press it. Tofu can be as firm and chewy as meat. It also has an amazing ability to absorb flavors through spices and marinades, so be liberal with seasoning before cooking it.

2. Tempeh
Tempeh is firmer than tofu and has a more grainy texture. It is made from fermented soybeans and has a nutty flavor. It’s packed with protein as well as fiber, calcium, and vitamins. One of the advantages to cooking with tempeh is that you don’t have to press it. Just slice it, dice it, or grind it up in a food processor. If you find tempeh to be a bit bitter, however, try steaming it for a few minutes before using it. I find tempeh to be the perfect texture to emulate fish in recipes. It also is a great substitute for ground beef in chilies and other dishes.

3. Seitan
If gluten is not an issue for you, turn to seitan for the most meat-like texture. Seitan is processed wheat gluten and it is a great source of protein. Depending on how you flavor it, seitan can be similar to chicken, beef, or pork. Seitan has a dense, chewy texture that can hold up to grilling, frying, braising, or anything else you want to do with it. You can buy it in stores, but don’t be intimidated. It’s not as hard to make seitan as you might think.

4. Textured Vegetable Protein
TVP or texturized vegetable protein is an inexpensive, easy to use ingredient. It’s dehydrated soy, and once you rehydrate it, you can do just about anything with it. It comes in granules or chunks. You can use it for ground beef dishes, to make cutlets, or delicious burgers and meatloaves. It is also listed sometimes as TSP or texturized soy protein.

5. Gluten-Free, Vegan Meat
When I became gluten-free, I really missed seitan. I searched the web for gluten-free seitan recipes, tried them all and was thoroughly disappointed. So I set out to make my own gluten-free version of seitan. That’s how my baby, V-Meat, was born along with its siblings, V-Chicken, V-Turkey, and V-Sausage. The recipe uses several different flours and proteins to make a vegan meat that has a texture similar to seitan and can be flavored multiple ways for versatility. It can be sliced, rolled, made into cutlets, chunks or links and can be used in lots of recipes. I have used it to make French Dip Sandwiches, vegan “chicken” and “turkey” cutlets, and even Thanksgiving dinner.

6. Jackfruit
Yes, I said a fruit. Jackfruit may be a healthy tropical fruit, but its texture and mild taste make it a wonderful stand-in for meat. If you want the jackfruit to be chewier, just roast it on a baking sheet for 15 minutes. Other than a slight sweet taste, almost like pineapple, the jackfruit is pretty much a blank canvas, so you can use whatever spice and flavor panels you like best – Indian, Mexican, Chinese, etc. It can be used to make pulled “pork” or BBQ jackfruit.

https://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-food/the-ultimate-guide-to-vegan-meats-and-meat-substitutes/