Author Topic: Interview August 2019 that the Dalai Lama states he WILL be reborn in India  (Read 3749 times)

Harold Musetescu

This is from an article that was written a few weeks ago by "News Intervention"

https://www.newsintervention.com/i-will-be-reborn-in-india-dalai-lama-tells-vijay-kranti/

I WILL BE REBORN IN INDIA: DALAI LAMA TELLS VIJAY KRANTI
Editor's Choice Featured International
I will be reborn in India: Dalai Lama tells Vijay Kranti

4 weeks ago Vijay Kranti

Tenzin Gyatso, the 14th Dalai Lama celebrated his 84th birthday. Three months ago he completed his 60 years of exile in India. A lot of water has flown through Brahmaputra, locally known as Tsangpo in Tibet, since this monk ruler escaped from his China occupied country in March 1959 to save his life from the Peoples Liberation Army that crushed the Tibetan uprising at a cost of over 80 thousand Tibetan lives (as per UN documents). In the meanwhile China has emerged as a military and economic super power and has successfully converted its newest colony into a fortress with a huge network of cantonments, airbases and nuclear stations in addition to a flood of Han settlers who have already outnumbered the ethnic Tibetan population.

Even if Dalai Lama’s ‘government in exile’ at Dharamshala has yet to get its first recognition from any world government, yet Chinese rulers expose their helpless vulnerability on the faintest mention of word ‘Dalai Lama’ or ‘Tibet’ in any world forum or capital. In their over enthusiasm to stamp their final control over Tibet by installing the next incarnation of current Dalai Lama, Beijing’s two religious search committees, each headed by a senior communist leader, have already completed two dry runs by identifying the new reincarnations of Panchen Lama and the Karma Pa over past two decades. They have made innumerable attempts to woo the Dalai Lama to return and settle in Beijing to give the moral and political legitimacy to China’s rule over Tibet that Beijing misses miserably.

Vijay Kranti, a senior journalist, Tibetologist and photographer, has been frequently meeting and interviewing Dalai Lama over past 47 years since 1972 to write about his opinion on various issues related to Tibet, religion, philosophy and Dalai Lama himself. On the Tibetan leader’s 84th birthday he presents an assortment of his questions and answers on some issues which present the Dalai Lama’s thinking about himself and his experience as a refugee over past six decades. For obvious reasons, a few answers reflect his opinion that has evolved differently over this long period.

Vijay Kranti :  How your life as a refugee has affected you personally?

Dalai Lama : Generally speaking, these years have been a sad period.  For the Tibetan nation as a whole this is the darkest period in history. But then difficulties and problems also help you come closer to reality.  They also increase your inner strength. If China had not occupied Tibet then I might have been living in comfort. In that case I may have been a superficial Dalai Lama.

You see, Tibetans never had as many photographs of previous Dalai Lamas as they have of this Dalai Lama. And none of the previous Dalai lamas were ever interviewed by the B.B.C. or  the international  press.  Who did it for me?  The Chinese government! So don’t you think I should be thankful to them (laughs)…. That is why the present Dalai Lama has  become the  most needed, most pivotal personality. But also the  saddest Dalai Lama ever.

Vijay Kranti :  And for Tibet?

Dalai Lama : In early sixties some of our sincere friends expressed fears that the Tibetan issue was dead and that Tibet would disappear forever. But we steadfastly maintained our determination. As a result, Tibet is still alive. The issue is far from dead. Some credit goes to the Chinese themselves.  They were ruthless. That strengthened the Tibetan determination. Tibetans should be thankful to the Chinese for at least this contribution.

Vijay Kranti : Did your Nobel prize help the Tibetan cause?

Dalai Lama : Sure. Tibetans and their cause are now better understood by people who did not know much about Tibet. Everyone now wants to know about Tibet and the  Dalai  Lama. It  strengthened our people’s determination.

Vijay Kranti : But if the Tibetan issue remains unresolved for long,  don’t you think it will frustrate Tibetan youth and they may adopt the path of violence ?

Dalai Lama : My answer is quite simple. If the situation goes out of my hands, or if the Tibetan freedom movement takes a violent turn, the only thing I can do is to quit.  Non violence is the only way.

Vijay Kranti : As 14th Dalai Lama which of the previous Dalai Lamas impressed you most?

Dalai Lama : If I look at the overall personality of each Dalai Lama, the fifth impresses me the most. The most impressive thing about  him was that he was not at  all sectarian. He  was very domineering though. That way I represent a sharp contract. I think I am too soft. I always feel myself a part of the crowd and not someone  who  is the head of a nation, or a  big  man.  That feeling is always there. However, on spiritual ground I especially like the first and the second Dalai Lamas.

Vijay Kranti : Now that Tibet is occupied by China, what will happen  to your reincarnation? China can manipulate the entire affair after your death.

Dalai Lama : I think this is not a big  problem. First, history shows that all Dalai Lamas have not necessarily been from Tibet.  For example the fourth Dalai Lama  was  from Mongolia. The most important thing is that the world is  always  changing. Tibetan  customs, Tibetan institutions, the way  of  living  and thinking  would keep on changing. Presently the institution of the Dalai Lama is like  a symbol  of Tibet. Therefore, some friends of Tibet start  fearing that  without a Dalai Lama the Tibetan nation may not exist.  But the  truth is that any institution, including that of  the  Dalai Lama, may or may not exist, the Tibetan nation is going to  stay. Yes, it will.

Vijay Kranti :  A few years ago you had stated that your may be  the  last Dalai Lama….

Dalai Lama : Yes, I did say that if  the institution  of  the Dalai Lama does not serve the  interests  of Tibet,  then there is no need of maintaining it. I had also said  that whether  this institution should continue will completely  depend upon the wishes of the Tibetan people.

However, current circumstances show that it is necessary that there should be another Dalai Lama after me. And here I want to make it very clear that the reincarnation, or rebirth of the present Dalai Lama will never fall into Chinese hands because the Dalai Lama – I mean the present Dalai Lama – deliberately left his country because of pressing circumstances.  This fact makes one thing very clear that if the present Dalai Lama takes rebirth, his reincarnation will be for a very specific purpose.

Because his predecessor left his own country Tibet deliberately, and for a specific purpose, to live in India, then his reincarnation will also definitely reappear in that area and not in Chinese  hands.  That is definite, otherwise there is no logic behind my coming into exile and working for Tibetan freedom.

Vijay Kranti :  But what prompted you to say that you could  be  the  last Dalai Lama?

Dalai Lama : There were political reasons behind that. At that time, and even now, the Chinese government has been trying desperately to show  as  if the entire Tibetan problem is limited  only  to  the Dalai  Lama  as a person, or the institution of the  Dalai  Lama. This was a very clever attempt to divert the world’s attention from the real Tibetan issue. That is why I always say that the actual issue is not Tenzin Gyatso, the 14th Dalai Lama,  or  for that  matter,  the  next Dalai Lama. The real issue is the six million Tibetans, their future, their identity, their welfare and happiness.

Whether the institution remains or not, my own rebirth will continue. It is a different matter whether people designate him  the  next  Dalai Lama.  In one of my daily prayers I always  say  that as long as space remains, and as  long  as  the living beings’ sufferings remain, I shall be there to serve  them and to dispel their misery.

Vijay Kranti :  And  now I ask you just the opposite  question.  If Tibet becomes free in your life-time what role have your thought of for yourself in the new Tibetan government?

Dalai Lama :   In  1963  our government-in-exile  adopted  a  draft constitution  for Tibet. In this constitution I had made it very clear that the powers of the Dalai Lama can be abolished by  a two-third majority vote among the Tibetan people’s deputies.  Our idea has been quite clear that the future Tibet should be a genuine democracy.

I would then live peacefully like an old monk. Wearing thick glasses and walking with the help of my stick (laughs)…. And if my friends provide me a helicopter, I would love to move around in my country meeting people (laughs again)…. The main thing is that I should remain outside of power. Like Mahatma Gandhi,  I too should not hold any public office. He remained  there as  long as he was needed in the national independence  movement. Once it was achieved, he moved away. That is a great thing.

Vijay Kranti : How long do you intend to fight for freedom for your  country?

Dalai Lama : Like any other nation, Tibet and Tibetans are also  entitled to  human  rights, including the right to preservation  of  their separate  identity  and way of life. To achieve this goal they would  continue to struggle as long as they remain under  foreign military  occupation. Free will is the only real basis of determining the destiny of our six million people. Until this right is restored to my people, there shall be no peace in their hearts and minds. Tibetans have endless faith in themselves as well as in the righteousness of their struggle. We won’t stop till the goal is achieved.

Vijay Kranti : Do you think there could have been a better way of  handling the situation during the 1950s in Tibet?

Dalai Lama : No, no. I think whatever we should have done between  1951, when  the  Chinese forced the 17-point agreement on us,  and  the uprising of 1959, was done. That was the best that could have been done in the given conditions. But it seems that things had gone wrong much before that. I always feel sad about that.

Vijay Kranti : Would you please elaborate?

Dalai Lama : I will give you a simple example. When India got Independence, our Tibetan government should have acted properly. In view of our centuries-old ties and for being the most friendly neighbour, rather a brother country, we should have sent the biggest delegation to participate in the Independence celebrations of India.  If they thought I was too young, a 12-year-old boy, then the Tibetan  delegation should have been headed by  the  Tibetan Regent.  They should have also met Mahatma Gandhi, Pundit Nehru, other  India  leaders and freedom fighters. This would have, at least, registered our independent status as a nation.

Vijay Kranti : Do you still think that leaving Tibet in 1959 and going into exile was the right decision ?

Dalai Lama : Yes. Because that was the only way left. I still believe so. Some of my own friends, including a member of my cabinet, the ‘Kashag’, had doubts about the wisdom of this decision. It was only when the Cultural Revolution started that he admitted in one  of our meetings that till that day he had some doubts whether it was really necessary for the Dalai Lama to leave Tibet. I have never had any doubts about it.

Vijay Kranti : The Chinese government has been inviting you to return  and stay in Beijing. What is your reaction?

Dalai Lama :  They believe that once I return on their terms the entire Tibetan problem would be solved. That is why they have been insisting that I should return and settle down in Beijing. But as any  other  self-respecting human  being I also regard the freedom of thinking, movement  and speech  as  more important than any personal  comfort.  Here  in India I have these freedoms. Therefore, I would prefer to live as a poor refugee with these freedoms than live in luxury in Beijing as a puppet without freedom. I am very clear about it.

Vijay Kranti : Some Tibetans believe that India has not done much for  the cause of Tibet. Do you agree with that?

Dalai Lama : No. I don’t agree with that. If any Tibetan think so, it  is not out of anger but because of his affinity with India, sense of belonging,  and greater expectations. When you live in a  family, you  can  expect  something  more than  what  you  can  get.  You sometimes complain without bothering about the other problems  of the family.  India  has really done a lot for us. The government of India has done everything that could have been done within its limitations.
Unquote