Author Topic: Benefits of Boddhicitta  (Read 13379 times)

yontenjamyang

• Email
Benefits of Boddhicitta
« on: July 10, 2015, 08:20:03 AM »
WHAT IS BODHICITTA?
It is the altruistic determination to attain Enlightenment in order to free all beings from suffering.

According to the Lamrim, there are 10 benefits:

1. Teaching that the only way to enter the Mahayana is to develop bodhichitta
2. You gain the name “child of the victors”
3. You outshine the shravakas and pratyekabuddhas
4. You become a supreme object of offering
5. You amass an enormous accumulation of merit with ease       
6.You rapidly purify sins and obscurations
7. You accomplish whatever you wish
8. You are not bothered by harm or hindrances
9. You soon complete the entire path and its levels
10. You become a fertile source of every happiness for other beings.

Dondrup Shugden

Re: Benefits of Boddhicitta
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 03:37:04 AM »
This reminds of one of our refuge vows.  ''Through the virtues I collect by giving and other perfections, may I gain enlightenment for the benefit of all sentient beings".

This very empowering vow means the ability to give of self not only materialistic things but time, efforts and deeds with compassion and kindness to all without conditions and expectations.  How different from the rules of Samsara, whereby the whole game plan is you win, I lose, and I win, you lose. Chaotic is the nearest I can describe such a state of affairs.

cookie

• Email
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 04:59:44 AM »
In the aspiration of becoming a Boddhisatva we become less and less self cherishing. Instead we channel our energy and emotions on helping others. We will detach from our delusions and especially detach from the ""I"" which is the cause of all our sufferings.

yontenjamyang

• Email
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 06:28:18 AM »
In the aspiration of becoming a Boddhisatva we become less and less self cherishing. Instead we channel our energy and emotions on helping others. We will detach from our delusions and especially detach from the ""I"" which is the cause of all our sufferings.

Yes cookie. Essentially, the Buddha taught only one thing. That is the emptiness of the "I" and phenomena. In the Lamrim,

“All yogas are practised through the one.” (p. 729)
That is, the practitioner need not perform a variety of virtuous practices, because they are all included within thoughts of interchanging self and others. When you eat, think “I have already given my body to sentient beings. Thus, in order to work for their sakes, I shall keep it nourished.” And do the same with all your daily routine.

That is the practice of selflessness is the one supreme yoga.

kelly

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 08:05:16 AM »
The less cherishing is very benefit for us because it ease a lot of dissatisfaction in life because we will be focus less on our need and wants that desire is the one that make us very unhappy whereas by cherishing others or helping others it actually shift our focus to others it actually make us more happy and it make our life more meaningful.

eyesoftara

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 10:25:08 AM »
Boddhicitta is generated starting with motivations of the small and medium scope of the Lamrim and then with the benefits to infuse the minds of practitioners to further the practice with the motivations of the Great scope to achieve the mind of a Buddha ie Omniscience. Only with the attaining Omniscience can one truly be of the greatest benefit to others and ultimately the self.
Moving on, one practice the methods of relative Boddhicitta via the Seven-fold cause and Effect and the Seven Point Point Mind Training which includes the 8 Verses of Thought Transformation by Geshe Langri Tangpa and the practice of Exchanging Self with Other or Tonglen. Then by practicing daily and meditating on these methods one gradually realise Boddhicitta. Only with Boddhicitta can one attain the Omniscience of a Buddha, otherwise on attaining the Wisdom of realizing Emptiness one can only attain Self Liberations which according to the Lamrim is not the Ultimate attainment.

fruven

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 04:43:09 AM »
WHAT IS BODHICITTA?
It is the altruistic determination to attain Enlightenment in order to free all beings from suffering.

According to the Lamrim, there are 10 benefits:

1. Teaching that the only way to enter the Mahayana is to develop bodhichitta
2. You gain the name “child of the victors”
3. You outshine the shravakas and pratyekabuddhas
4. You become a supreme object of offering
5. You amass an enormous accumulation of merit with ease       
6.You rapidly purify sins and obscurations
7. You accomplish whatever you wish
8. You are not bothered by harm or hindrances
9. You soon complete the entire path and its levels
10. You become a fertile source of every happiness for other beings.

Good sharing. The Buddha's teachings is for everyone to be free of sufferings and gain happiness, and Bodhicitta is the highest level one can attain.

From the list some of the benefits are having to deal with our own fears, our insecurities. Fears play a large part in our own happiness and sufferings. We view others and us as separate.

Midakpa

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 04:09:45 PM »
For me, the most important benefit of bodhicitta is the the ability to serve others in a selfless manner. Bodhicitta is the "mind of enlightenment" or the bodhimind whose purpose is to benefit all sentient beings. Bodhicitta is at the same time the most important prerequisite of tantra and the most important fruit of this practice. This means that it is necessary to have a  bodhicitta motivation in order to practice tantra and the practice of tantra helps us to develop bodhicitta.

SabS

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2019, 05:01:43 AM »
Boddhicitta sounds so grand and is such a big word to live up to. There are many benefits to practicing Boddhicitta, which is to benefit others but the biggest benefactor is actually oneself. After all, one gains true freedom from the practice of Boddhicitta (one of the conditions for enlightenment).