Author Topic: Inferred Justification  (Read 8963 times)

Zhalmed Pawo

Inferred Justification
« on: February 16, 2010, 12:23:41 PM »
As there are currently here (at DS.com-Forum) many over long posts, some of which even appear in several threads, I will keep this short, eventhough I feel the issue would warrant a long post.

There exists a rather recent socio-psychological study, called "There Must Be a Reason": Osama, Saddam, and Inferred Justification, which points to an interesting psychological mechanism. Taken from the abstract:

One of the most curious aspects of the 2004 presidential election was the strength
and resilience of the belief among many Americans that Saddam Hussein was linked to
the terrorist attacks of September 11. Scholars have suggested that this belief was the
result of a campaign of false information and innuendo from the Bush administration.
We call this the information environment explanation. Using a technique of “challenge
interviews” on a sample of voters who reported believing in a link between Saddam and
9/11, we propose instead a social psychological explanation for the belief in this link.
We identify a number of social psychological mechanisms voters use to maintain false
beliefs in the face of disconfirming information, and we show that for a subset of voters
the main reason to believe in the link was that it made sense of the administration’s decision
to go to war against Iraq. We call this inferred justification: for these voters, the fact of the
war led to a search for a justification for it, which led them to infer the existence of ties
between Iraq and 9/11.

I think most of you, especially the 'forum old-timers', already know, after reading the above quote, where I'm heading in rising this topic here. And for those who do not know, here's a hint: It has nothing to do with the USA or the Middle-East, but everything with the TB-world, both Western and Eastern. Therefore, I'll guess there is no need to say more, for now. Happy readings:

http://sociology.buffalo.edu/documents/hoffmansocinquiryarticle_000.pdf (Hope the link works...)

While the idea and concept of inferred justification develops and forms in your mind during your reading of the study, please try to 'catch' people from both sides; the Dalai'ites and the WSS'ites. I'd say the phenomenon is visible in both camps, although of course there is a difference in magnitude. And please, to make the game a Buddhist one, also try to see if you can catch you yourself.

I shall write more about this after there has been some replies. I do hope there will be some replies.

blessings,
Zhalmed Pawo

Atishas cook

Re: Inferred Justification
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 12:37:14 AM »
interesting...

can you cite examples of WSS inferred justification?  i mean, i know i'm as guilty as anyone of seeking justifications for and proofs of my views, and i consider myself a card-carrying member of the WSS (not that there are any "official" members), but it strikes me that there is a kinda huge body of evidence to support my position on the Dalai Lama and his ban...

emptymountains

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 08:45:21 AM »
I read it too (although it reminded me of the reasons why I didn't go back for graduate studies...)

Nevertheless, it was a fascinating read, and now I do see a lot of "inferred justification" going on on this forum, but like Atisha's Cook, I would be interested in you showing me the mirror of Dharma, reflecting the inferred justification on my part (generally speaking).

P.S. The Dalai Lama's weapon of mass delusion: "I am Avalokiteshvara."
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 08:47:58 AM by emptymountains »

Big Uncle

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 06:11:37 PM »
This is neat! Thanks Zhalmed Pawo!

You have quite an interesting theory here and I can see that people are immediately receptive and also defensive with their replies so far. I admit that I like to buy into views that offer a peaceful approach to things especially regarding the Dalai Lama issue. Honestly, if it wasn't for this incredible website, i would have been readily agreeable to denounce the Dalai Lama and probably any last shard of belief that I have in the existence of Buddhas and in other great Lamas like Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche who tutored and said not to have doubts in the Dalai Lama.

thor

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 06:11:22 PM »
interesting...

can you cite examples of WSS inferred justification?  i mean, i know i'm as guilty as anyone of seeking justifications for and proofs of my views, and i consider myself a card-carrying member of the WSS (not that there are any "official" members), but it strikes me that there is a kinda huge body of evidence to support my position on the Dalai Lama and his ban...

Yes please cite examples of this, I would be interested too

Zhalmed Pawo

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 04:53:59 PM »
Oooohh, why do you ask me to give examples?

You are Buddhists, so you can, or rather should, see it for yourselves. ;D

Atishas cook

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 05:58:16 PM »
um, yeah - but, mate -  that's the problem: i don't see any examples of this and am therefore asking you to provide some to back your assertion that the WSS sympathisers are, as the Dalai Lama sympathisers demonstrably are, also falling into the trap of "inferred justification".

it's your assertion: examples to back it up, please!  i don't see any, but i'm willing to be proved wrong.

Big Uncle

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 09:34:15 PM »
This theory also sound like what we call herd behaviour where people make wrong decisions based upon a common misconceptions. I think all of us to this every single day. We thrive on making assumptions and preconceived notions and hence, we suffer because reality is always much different from our own preconceived ideas. Hence, it is not just WSS people or the Dalai Lama's supporters.