Author Topic: Dalai Lama cancels all major schedules overseas for 2018  (Read 7196 times)

DharmaSpace

Dalai Lama cancels all major schedules overseas for 2018
« on: January 14, 2018, 04:47:49 PM »
Dalai Lama cancels all major schedules overseas for 2018
Phayul[Wednesday, January 10, 2018 18:56]
By Tenzin Dharpo

File photo: Phayul photo- Kunsang Gashon
File photo: Phayul photo- Kunsang Gashon
DHARAMSHALA, Jan. 10: The Tibetan exiled leader His Holiness the Dalai Lama has cancelled majority of his overseas schedules including a visit to the city of Raleigh in North Carolina, United States, sources said.

The Dalai Lama’s Secretary Tenzin Taklha in a letter to the Raleigh city mayor Nancy McFarlane stated, “It is with deep regret that I inform you of a change in His Holiness the Dalai Lama’s schedule, obliging him to cancel the majority of his travels abroad, including the United States of America.

“We understand that there are many plans already in place to support Raleigh’s Compassionate City designation, and His Holiness looks very much forward to support these wonderful initiatives.”

Mayor McFarlane responded with hope for the Tibetan leader’s visit to her city in 2019. She wrote that she and her city respects the, “decision to delay all visits to the United States until after 2018. We remain hopeful you will grace us with your presence at a future date and are committed to making such a visit an enriching experience with lasting benefits.”

While there is no reason for the cancellation of the trips, the Dalai Lama earlier during an interactive event with foreign students in November said that he was unable to recover quickly from the long flights especially to United States as he grows older. The Tibetan leader will be 83 in July.

In August this year, the octogenarian Tibetan leader cancelled his trip to Botswana in Africa citing exhaustion and his physician’s advice not to undertake long journeys.

One can really hope, the best possible outcome of this, further warming of relations between China and Dalai Lama. There were some signs showing that the Chinese were pleased that the Dalai Lama employed a few key envoys to represent him overseas. 

And the Dalai lama not going for more tours is offering an olive branch to the Chinese.

PrajNa

Re: Dalai Lama cancels all major schedules overseas for 2018
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 05:28:34 PM »
I think what you said could be the direction that His Holiness is heading to, in order for further warming of relations between China and Dalai Lama.

In October last year, the China warned that it would consider as a “major offence” if any country or foreign leader hosts or meets the Dalai Lama as it deems the Tibetan spiritual leader a “separatist” trying to split Tibet from it. This could be the Dalai Lama complying to China's wish, to not meet any leader. Coupled with Samdhong Rinpoche's recent visit to China, I think the Dalai Lama is working on ways to achieve the Tibetan cause of autonomy, and doing his best for his Tibetan people.

The Dalai Lama cannot visit China/Tibet and all his policies, ideas and methods did not bear any fruit since they started in exile. Although the Dalai Lama traveled all over the west to gather support for Tibet to gain independence or autonomy, it has failed. Only China can say yes or no, and I think the Dalai Lama wants to go in this direction of following China's demand and wishes.

This is a very good article: http://www.dorjeshugden.com/all-articles/confirmed-dalai-lamas-envoy-samdhong-rinpoche-visited-china/

Brian Little

• Email
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 06:56:39 PM »
I think it's a smart move. There are lesser and lesser countries that The Dalai Lama are welcomed anyways. No disrespect but this is also due to the economic power of mighty China and nobody would want to incur that sort of economic backlash like Mongolia suffered. At the same time I felt Dalai Lama could be fed up by CTA too. The reason Dalai Lama goes around partly is to highlight the plight of Tibetans and diplomatic trips but seeing what is happening within the CTA camp might have push HH further and further away.

Celia

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 04:33:26 AM »
Undeniably the rise of China as a major player in the world economics has prompted many countries being less accommodating of the Dalai Lama’s visits. After all, China has long taken a tough stance toward countries that invite the Dalai Lama or approve his visits on the basis of China’s position that Tibetan issues are a matter of internal Chinese affairs.

However, the idea that such cancellations form part of a strategic play to facilitate the Dalai Lama's return to Tibet and as an extension of olive branch is quite plausible too. More so if Samdong Rinpoche’s purported trip to China did take place. As much as the political sympathies towards the Tibetan plights are waning, the Dalai Lama at this juncture still has significant influence which China might just be interested to capitalise on.

Lineageholder

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 01:52:44 AM »
I don’t think you understand. The Dalai Lama is seriously sick with prostate cancer that has spread. He is weak and needs constant treatment and is maybe close to death.

That’s why his trips have been cancelled.

Dondrup Shugden

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 09:22:21 AM »
I rather like to believe that the cancellation of the Dalai Lama's official overseas visits is due to His Holiness wish to clear all obstacles so that He can return to China.  When the Dalai Lama stops official visits, it may also mean the cancellation of His previous endeavour to garner support for Tibet's freedom.  Now that the Dalai Lama has announced His wish to go back to China, it seem politically correct that He changes his agenda.

It is correct that no other international organisations can give permission for Dalai Lama's visit to China except the Chinese Government and it seems wise that the Dalai Lama is now considering to be aligned with Chinese policies.

I hope that the cancellation is not due to prostrate cancer as I wish no suffering to His Holiness. 

vajrastorm

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2018, 08:14:15 AM »
I also would like to think that the Dalai Lama's cancellation of all major trips overseas for 2018 is directly related to his efforts to 'toe the line' with regards to the policy and attitude of China towards his trips to foreign countries.  The Dalai  Lama has a very strong wish to return to China and to Tibet. Hence, he will endeavour to do all in his power to see the fulfillment of this dream . The first step in the right direction is to seek a rapprochement in relationship between him and China, and between Tibet and China.

Belinda Mae

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2018, 02:45:55 PM »
I wonder why is His Holiness Dalai Lama cancelling his trips to overseas. Perhaps he is already too old to travel abroad so often or he is planning something exciting in the future for Tibetans with China.

Richardlaktam

• Email
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2018, 05:10:08 PM »
Dalai Lama cancelled all his oversea major schedule due to two possibilities. One is maybe really due to his health issue. He is already 82 years old, CTA still uses him as their tools to get donation from other countries. Maybe Dalai Lama start to fed up of what CTA does. Second is Dalai Lama starts to comply what China required. Remember what China did to Mongolia when Mongolia government ignore China's warning and welcome Dalai Lama to their country? Dalai Lama starts complying it is because he wants to go back to Tibet. CTA, do u see that? I think you should stop talking about Rangzen and start packing.