Author Topic: Penpa Tsering being replaced  (Read 8814 times)

dsnowlion

Penpa Tsering being replaced
« on: November 08, 2017, 12:29:02 AM »
Has anyone seen this? Looks like the evil corrupt Penpa has been let go or the more direct and appropriate word be... FIRED?! Well, let's not forget a few years back how Penpa spoke against Dorje Shugden practitioners to the Tibetan Youths and even made very nasty negative comments about Pabongkha Rinpoche. He will soon receive his own karma from his own doing.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Lobsang Wangyal
McLEOD GANJ, India, 7 November 2017

Education Minister of the Central Tibetan Administration Ngodup Tsering has been appointed as the new Representative of the Dalai Lama to North America in Washington DC, replacing the incumbent Penpa Tsering.

It is unclear where Penpa Tsering will now be posted. He assumed the post of Representative in August 2016.

Speculations are rife that he would be appointed to be a secretary at the private office of the Dalai Lama in McLeod Ganj.

Some had guessed that he would be made the Secretary of the Dalai Lama Trust in the US after the suspension of the previous Secretary Tenzin Dhonden following corruption charges against him.

But sources said this post has been temporarily filled by appointment of Tashi Namgyal as the Secretary. He was a former staff of CTA, as well as the former member of the Tibetan Parliament in Exile representing North America.

Questions to the Kashag Secretary about a new Education Minister and where Penpa Tsering would be deputed didn’t reveal any information.

Speaking to Tibet Sun over the phone, Penpa Tsering said that he received the Kashag’s letter announcing Ngodup Tsering as the new Representative a day ago, and said that the Kashag has terminated his service from the end of this month.

“There were no other details in the Kashag’s letter.”

He said that there has not been any communication to him from anybody with regard to his appointment as a secretary to the Office the Dalai Lama.

“I feel it is important to clarify that I do not have any record of wrongdoing in my capacity as the Representative.”

Ngodup Tsering will take charge as the new Representative from 1 December.

Source: https://www.tibetsun.com/news/2017/11/07/education-minister-ngodup-tsering-appointed-north-america-representative

grandmapele

Re: Penpa Tsering being replaced
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 02:36:52 AM »
Karma bites! Also, the CTA does not like to be made to look stupid. They are doing very by themselves in that department. As for Penpa Tsering being Secretary of the Dalai Lama Trust in the US, well, it'll be like putting a burglar into your vault or a rat into your larder.

And, as Penpa Tsering himself stated that he received his letter of termination without further word of his next posting, if any. Is the Dalai Lama finally tired of all the shenanigans of some of the members of the kashag?

vajrastorm

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 10:13:04 AM »
From "Representative of the Dalai Lama to North America" to "secretary in the private office of
the Dalai Lama", what a drop in status! Furthermore the abrupt and rather impersonal way
in which he had been informed about it means either Penpa Tsering has fallen out of favor with the big guys
or the CTA finally decided they had better clean up their act!

Whatever it is, it looks like karma or justice is being served!

Ringo Starr

• Email
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 03:29:47 PM »
This is just a mere slap on the hand. I believe the rot goes deeper as this game of I scratch your back and you scratch mine has gone on far too long. I wonder who is next on the chopping block. It is high time Tibetans get proper international representation.

christine V

• Email
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 04:27:46 PM »
More news

According to a post on the CTA's official website, now Ngodup Tsering has been appointed as the new Representative of His Holiness the Dalai Lama and the CTA for North America.

He will replace Penpa Tsering from December 1, 2017. "Kalon Ngodup Tsering will take charge as the new Representative of North America from 1 December 2017," the announcement said.

Ngodup Tsering was born on 1 July 1953. He is an alumnus of Punjab University, Chandigarh with a degree in Bachelor of Arts. He was also a former member of the Tibetan Parliament-in-Exile, from 1979-1982. He was appointed as the Education secretary of the CTA again in 2012, and then as Kalon in September 2014 under the 14th Kashag led by President Dr Lobsang Sangay.

He joined the CTA in 1983, on the post of Deputy Secretary. He was initially posted at the Department of Education. In 1987, he was transferred to the Department of Home on the same post. From 1991-1995, he served as the Director of the Tibetan Institute of Performing Arts (TIPA). He was also the recipient of the Best Staff among gazetted officers in 1995, awarded by a Swiss based Tibetan Association.

In 1996, he was promoted to the post of Secretary and appointed as the new Education Secretary of the CTA. In 1999, he was transferred to the of home department as the home secretary. From 2001-2008, he served as the president and the Director of various Tibetan associations in the United States.

The Office of Tibet was established in 1964 to raise the issue of Tibet at the United Nations. Since April 6, 2014. The Office has relocated to Washington, D.C. on 17th Street in the Farragut North area.

The Office represents His Holiness the Dalai Lama and the Central Tibetan Administration in North America. Its major responsibilities include mobilizing support from the US and Canadian governments in the U.S. Congress and Canadian Parliament, educating the U.S. and Canadian public on Tibet and the CTA, coordinating and preparing the visits of His Holiness in North America, maintaining relations with & providing services to the North American Tibetan Diaspora and strengthening and enhancing relationships with Tibetan Buddhist Dharma Centers.

I hope Penpa Tsering won't mind that he just being replaces without any pre-notice but by a letter . Not sure it is norm of CTA to practice fire people in sudden by letter. Just like how they did to Dorje Shugden's ban, just put a signage outside hospital to ban Dorje Shugden's practitioners for seeking treatment without any explanation.

Celia

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 07:38:17 AM »
As much as I would want this to be the case of CTA cleaning up their act, call, me cynical, but based on the questionable characters with similar skeletons which are still helming CTA, it is more likely the case where it was Penpa Tsering has overstayed his welcome. In addition, for all the shenanigans including allegations with criminal connotations which he “got away” with, just being abruptly dismissed is actually quite a good deal on his part.

grandmapele

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 08:07:41 AM »
How about this? Might go to explain a bit of what's happening with the letter of 'release". He might have been stomping on many toes!! When it comes to money, one has no friends?!?!

CTA’s refusal to give answers about Penpa Tsering’s ousting raises more question
http://www.dorjeshugden.com/forum/index.php?topic=5977.0

Belinda Mae

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2017, 03:06:18 PM »
What is happening to Tibetans and also the CTA? I think their KARMA is catching up on them and they still does not realize their own wrongdoings.

grandmapele

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 07:43:54 AM »
Looks like Penpa Tsering is not going to go down quietly. So, now an already splintered people is yet to be splintered again. And, then we wait for Lobsang Sangay to retaliate and the rest of the world sit back and watch them destroy each other and the Tibetans in exile.

The real victims are the poor Tibetans who thought they had "escaped" to a better life outside China's Tibet. My sympathies are with them. May they be able to purify their negative karma and go on to live a harmonious and peaceful life.

Celia

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2017, 04:37:55 AM »
Obviously, Penpa Tsering is not going to relinquish the power and ability to get his share of the money easily. After instigating his followers and playing on the emotions of Tibetans, there was many who protested against the CTA, and to boycott events related to the Sikyong, leading to the Tibetan leadership now cornered to provide an explanation for Penpa’s sacking.
https://www.tibetsun.com/news/2017/11/18/kashags-clarification-on-decision-to-replace-north-america-representative

The sad and painfully obvious truth is that the Tibetan leadership, a self-professed democratic government never operated with transparency and drastic measures had to be taken before they would be open about their operations.

In addition, such explanation itself is very telling of the convoluted situation within the Tibetan leadership where interests of Tibetans are clearly ignored by all these elected Tibetan officials and instead the priority is furthering self-interests, politicking, constant infighting and petty bickering.

Then again, the silver lining from this fiasco is that it is apparent that pressure from the Tibetan people is something the Tibetan leadership are wary off and will respond to. Hence, it is really high time for Tibetans to start holding the Tibetan leadership accountable if they want any shot at improving their situation and livelihood.

Belinda Mae

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2017, 03:44:19 PM »
In my opinion, there is no use to fire and put someone else to replace the previous officer. This is the because the CTA's name has already been tarnished and nothing can be done to undo it. The CTA will just have to face their own KARMA of what they did to the people.

Richardlaktam

• Email
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2017, 06:25:42 PM »
Oooo..... Someone scared the bad apple in the basket will affect the rest of the apples, that's why throw him out of the basket. Whatever CTA doing now is covering their ass. Things have already gone bad, in order not to look worse, someone has to sacrifice. But Lobsang Sangay is stupid that he thought by saking Penpa Tsering can cover his ass, he's so stupid that he doesn't know the whole world has already known what he's doing and watching him acting now? Yet, this Penpa Tsering still can say it out loud, "I do not have any record of wrongdoing..." Then you're stupid Penpa Tsering.

dsnowlion

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2017, 12:32:07 AM »
Here is the latest development.... looks like Penpa seeking revenge!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kashag’s charges unacceptable: Representative Penpa Tsering

By Lobsang Wangyal

ON THE WEB, 19 November 2017

Penpa Tsering refused to accept the Cabinet’s ten charges against him, and said he will challenge all of them after he leaves office on 30 November.

He also hinted at filing a case in the exile Tibetan Supreme Justice, saying the charges are unacceptable as he hasn’t committed any mistake.

In a clear demonstration of the power of the people, the Cabinet of the Central Tibetan Administration (CTA) finally issued a clarification as to why Penpa Tsering had been terminated of his duties as North America Representative. Ten reasons were given, but each would surely be scrutinised and analysed.
Details of warnings remain unclear

Penpa Tsering’s sacking was announced on 7 November. As the news shocked the Tibetan world, the demand for reasons of the ousting mounted on the Cabinet. Questions asked by journalists received no comments from the Cabinet and the President of the Central Tibetan Administration.

Due to popular demand from the press and the public, a press conference was convened after two days. At the conference, the officiating President of CTA Karma Gelek said that Penpa Tsering was sacked due to “dereliction of duty”, and stated that three warnings had been sent to him in the last one year, with the last one being sent in July. Gelek refused to say what the warnings were about.
On 18 November, CTA President Lobsang Sangay during his visit to Norway said, without giving any details, that the revelation would paint a bad image. He added that it was not required for the Cabinet to reveal the reasons for the ouster, as it was the Cabinet’s prerogative to appoint and suspend any staff subordinate to it.

As pressure from the public mounted, Kashag came out with the ten-point explanation. However, the ten reasons given didn’t seem to support the severe picture painted by Sangay.
The nature of the warnings still remained unclear, as well as the specific rules Penpa Tsering was supposed to have violated.

*Penpa Tsering clarifies his stand*

When contacted for explanation about the ten points, Penpa Tsering said that the Kashag has hacked together these ten points so they could say that there were ten reasons to dismiss him.

Sticking to his claim of not having committed any mistake, he said, “I still stand by my earlier statement that I haven’t committed any mistake, and I do not accept any wrongdoing. But I am leaving office because that’s what Kashag (Cabinet) has ordered.”

“I cannot publicly discuss the issue now as I am still bound by the rules. I will be free to speak after 30 November, and I will challenge all the ten points one by one,” he said by phone.

He claimed that he received only one letter from the Cabinet that was stated as “the last warning” in July, which concerned the information that the USD 1.5 million dollars from Tibet Fund used to purchase DC office building was a loan.

He said that as reported in Tibet Sun, the issue of the 1.5 million dollars came up during the meeting of the representatives after the 5/50 Conference. “There is no truth in how Kashag has framed the charges, but I will explain about the details after leaving the office.”

“I didn’t get any any other warning letters. And the letter that said ‘last warning’ only mentioned about the loan issue. And now there are ten points accusing me of dereliction of duties. All the points they have mentioned were events that happened before the ‘last warning’ they sent.”

However, he said that he did receive two letters from the Department of Information of the International Relations, but they were not warning letters.

“One was about the appointment of Chinese liaison officer Kunga Tashi at the Office of Tibet in Washington, DC. I clarified that he would be appointed upon approval from Kashag, rather than I announce him as having appointed.

“Let alone any warning about that issue after I clarified, there was no follow up on that.”
With regard to the second letter, he said, “The other letter that I received from the Department was about a group of Shugden followers welcoming President Xi Jinping to the US in April. I was questioned about not sending a report about that. I replied to that, and if I clarify, it takes time to find out the details about who the people. But we send a report after we got all the information we could gather.”

https://www.tibetsun.com/news/2017/11/19/kashags-charges-unacceptable-representative-penpa-tsering

Celia

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2017, 08:16:05 AM »
Here is the latest development.... looks like Penpa seeking revenge!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kashag’s charges unacceptable: Representative Penpa Tsering

By Lobsang Wangyal

ON THE WEB, 19 November 2017

Penpa Tsering refused to accept the Cabinet’s ten charges against him, and said he will challenge all of them after he leaves office on 30 November.

He also hinted at filing a case in the exile Tibetan Supreme Justice, saying the charges are unacceptable as he hasn’t committed any mistake.

In a clear demonstration of the power of the people, the Cabinet of the Central Tibetan Administration (CTA) finally issued a clarification as to why Penpa Tsering had been terminated of his duties as North America Representative. Ten reasons were given, but each would surely be scrutinised and analysed.
Details of warnings remain unclear

Penpa Tsering’s sacking was announced on 7 November. As the news shocked the Tibetan world, the demand for reasons of the ousting mounted on the Cabinet. Questions asked by journalists received no comments from the Cabinet and the President of the Central Tibetan Administration.

Due to popular demand from the press and the public, a press conference was convened after two days. At the conference, the officiating President of CTA Karma Gelek said that Penpa Tsering was sacked due to “dereliction of duty”, and stated that three warnings had been sent to him in the last one year, with the last one being sent in July. Gelek refused to say what the warnings were about.
On 18 November, CTA President Lobsang Sangay during his visit to Norway said, without giving any details, that the revelation would paint a bad image. He added that it was not required for the Cabinet to reveal the reasons for the ouster, as it was the Cabinet’s prerogative to appoint and suspend any staff subordinate to it.

As pressure from the public mounted, Kashag came out with the ten-point explanation. However, the ten reasons given didn’t seem to support the severe picture painted by Sangay.
The nature of the warnings still remained unclear, as well as the specific rules Penpa Tsering was supposed to have violated.

*Penpa Tsering clarifies his stand*

When contacted for explanation about the ten points, Penpa Tsering said that the Kashag has hacked together these ten points so they could say that there were ten reasons to dismiss him.

Sticking to his claim of not having committed any mistake, he said, “I still stand by my earlier statement that I haven’t committed any mistake, and I do not accept any wrongdoing. But I am leaving office because that’s what Kashag (Cabinet) has ordered.”

“I cannot publicly discuss the issue now as I am still bound by the rules. I will be free to speak after 30 November, and I will challenge all the ten points one by one,” he said by phone.

He claimed that he received only one letter from the Cabinet that was stated as “the last warning” in July, which concerned the information that the USD 1.5 million dollars from Tibet Fund used to purchase DC office building was a loan.

He said that as reported in Tibet Sun, the issue of the 1.5 million dollars came up during the meeting of the representatives after the 5/50 Conference. “There is no truth in how Kashag has framed the charges, but I will explain about the details after leaving the office.”

“I didn’t get any any other warning letters. And the letter that said ‘last warning’ only mentioned about the loan issue. And now there are ten points accusing me of dereliction of duties. All the points they have mentioned were events that happened before the ‘last warning’ they sent.”

However, he said that he did receive two letters from the Department of Information of the International Relations, but they were not warning letters.

“One was about the appointment of Chinese liaison officer Kunga Tashi at the Office of Tibet in Washington, DC. I clarified that he would be appointed upon approval from Kashag, rather than I announce him as having appointed.

“Let alone any warning about that issue after I clarified, there was no follow up on that.”
With regard to the second letter, he said, “The other letter that I received from the Department was about a group of Shugden followers welcoming President Xi Jinping to the US in April. I was questioned about not sending a report about that. I replied to that, and if I clarify, it takes time to find out the details about who the people. But we send a report after we got all the information we could gather.”

https://www.tibetsun.com/news/2017/11/19/kashags-charges-unacceptable-representative-penpa-tsering

Somehow that is not unexpected. Penpa would not go down so easily given his vindictive tendencies. Not to mention his loss of access to and share of the easy unaudited monies.

Then again, if one is to be objective about this matter, the clarification from Lobsang’s side about Penpa’s firing does suspiciously look like something weaved up and lack real substance. It is riddled with vague accusations and even includes hearsays, in particular, petty statements made to a female kalon. Even for one who doesn’t support Penpa will be able to see presence of unfairness. Take for example, it is rather a bit too much to use failure to take steps to protect the Dalai Lama from Dorje Shugden (Dolgyal) ‘threats’ during the Dalai Lama’s planned visit to the USA in June 2017 as one of the main basis to warrant the termination, especially when there were no real threat or issue at all.

That being said, both sides are just as bad considering that both have been known to have their own twisted interpretation of reality. It also doesn’t help that both sides have a history of blatantly ignoring facts and evidence but persist on their own version of their story. A classic example, their denial of the existence of Dorje Shugden ban when evidence of discrimination are aplenty.

Bottom-line is, the more this drama unfolds, the more it is obvious that the Tibetan leadership are just a bunch of crude, unprofessional, narrow-minded and a nickel-and-dime outfit of self-serving politicians.