Author Topic: A Tibetan Red Sox!  (Read 5663 times)

Ringo Starr

• Email
A Tibetan Red Sox!
« on: September 24, 2017, 01:59:45 AM »
Contrary to the mess the CTA has put Tibetans into with regards to their citizenship, passport and opportunities in India and internationally, we now have a Tibetan Red Sox, courtesy of China's MLB Development Center!

Congratulations to Jampa Rigzin (Chinese: Justin Qiangbarenzeng)!
Make Tibetans proud!

Boston Red Sox signs first Tibetan baseball player
[Friday, July 21, 2017 20:20]
By Tenzin Monlam

DHARAMSHALA, July 21: Major League Baseball (MLB) team Boston Red Sox has signed a Tibetan teen named Jampa Rigzin (Chinese: Justin Qiangbarenzeng) making him the first Tibetan to be signed by a top-tier professional baseball team.

A product of China's MLB Development Center, the 16-year-old has become the third baseball player from the center to join the US-based big league. Following his official signing with the team he said, “It's a great honor to sign with the Red Sox and I also know more difficult times await me, but I believe I can succeed. Being lucky also means you have to work harder, and that's what I will do.”

Xu Guiyuan signed with the Baltimore Orioles in 2015, and two months ago pitcher Gong Haicheng signed a deal with the Pittsburgh Pirates.

“I will train even harder than before because I have changed to catcher, which means more effort,” Jampa said, who has recently changed his position from second base to catcher.

"He has an outstanding work ethic, and I'm sure that's what the Boston Red Sox have seen. He's very adaptable. Just two months ago he seamlessly switched positions from second base to catcher and the switch was crucial in our decision to sign him,” said Red Sox scout Louie Lin.

Born in 2001 to a working-class family in Meldroghongkar (Maizhokunggar) County, East of Lhasa, provincial capital of Tibetan Autonomous Region, he joined the Beijing Dacheng School baseball at age 6.

He is set to leave for the US by August end and will train with the Red Sox’s Gulf Coast League, a rookie level minor league affiliate with the team in Florida.

Source:
http://www.phayul.com/news/article.aspx?id=39310

michaela

Re: A Tibetan Red Sox!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 02:01:13 PM »
Under China - Tibetans prospers and achieve something. Under the CTA the Tibetans were surpressed and segregated

grandmapele

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 03:46:33 AM »
China is working at moving with the times and giving opportunities to all within her borders. Very different from the CTA in India who are still trying to keep the Tibetan refugees in stasis.

Celia

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 06:39:52 PM »
This is but one success story and there plenty others such as those highlighted in http://www.tsemrinpoche.com/tsem-tulku-rinpoche/current-affairs/why-are-these-tibetans-successful-without-the-cta.html

Based on such positive examples of the success of Tibetans in China, it is just factually correct to say that the quality of life and the welfare of Tibetans in China are way better than those under the purview of the Tibetan leadership. After all, what has CTA done which has significantly improved the lives of Tibetans in exile? They fared no better than how they were when they first arrived at Dharamsala as refugees, if not worse.

Accepting that Tibetans have much more freedom to develop their abilities and opportunity to use them to their fullest in China does not mean one is agreeable to the manner Tibet was historically engulfed by China. Those are 2 separate issues and should not be mixed to deny the truth of the situation.

grandmapele

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 02:53:02 AM »
The comparison here is that the west especially the US of A has poured funds into the CTA and yet, there's not much to show for it. Where are the opportunities for the young Tibetans to shine and claim their place in the world? China, for all her faults, has given the opportunities and platform for the Tibetans to shine and produced shining examples in various fields.

Is China a saint? I doubt. Are you a saint? i doubt. We are human here on this earth. We can all try to be a little kinder and mean it, not be two-faced about it.  Do not speak with forked tongue. Do not say different things to different quarters. Say what you mean and mean what you say. That is called integrity. That is what the Buddha taught. That is what Buddhists practice - mindfulness of body speech and mind. Tibet is known as a devout Buddhist nation. So, portray that in daily lives and every action taken.

vajrastorm

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 01:47:27 PM »
China'a Baseball League trains up a Tibetan with big dreams who is fast realising his dream!Sixteen year-old Jampa Rigzin (Chinese: Justin Qiangbarenzeng)has been signed on by the Boston Red Sox! It is his outstanding work ethics and ability to meet the challenge of switching from one position to another with ease that caught the eye of the big American League. A stark contrast to the dearth of opportunities for young Tibetans in the Tibetans in Exile communities in India to chase their dreams. The CTA does not even bother to seek potentials among the young to groom them for succession in Leadership!

Pema8

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2017, 03:02:46 AM »
This is again an example how the CTA has suppressed the Tibetans. Tibetans can succeed in many ways such as this young man who got the chance to improve himself and succeed.

This is what a country/leadership should do for the younger generation - improve their chance, not keeping them low for their selfish reasons, which are going nowhere.

Great! Keep it going, Jampa Rigzin!