Author Topic: Dr Thupten Jinpa-translator to H.H. the Dalai Lama  (Read 12823 times)

mountains

• MAY THE DALAI LAMA LIFT THE BAN AGAINST SHUGDEN
Dr Thupten Jinpa-translator to H.H. the Dalai Lama
« on: December 31, 2007, 11:36:40 AM »
Dear friends,

Can anyone fill me in on the background of this wonderful translator to H.H. the 14th Dalai Lama, Dr Thupten Jinpa??
1. Where is he from?
2. He was a monk?
3. From what Monastery?
4. Who are his teachers?
5. And any other background information please. thanks

Alexis

Re: Dr Thupten Jinpa-translator to H.H. the Dalai Lama
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 11:45:57 AM »
He now lives in Montreal and sometimes teaches at Mcgill University, here.

He used to be a monk yes, but he disrobed and is now married to a french canadian.

He is from Ganden Shartse monastery.

His main Guru used to be Song Rimpoche but now I guess it must be HHDL.

He used to practice Dorje Shugden but I guess he must have stopped if he's translating for HH.

Enough gossip.

beggar

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 02:56:50 PM »
dear Mountains,
from what i've read Dr. Jinpa, now translator to HH the Dalai Lama, was (= is or no attainments) (also) a disciple of Kyabje Zemey Rinpoche - the author of the now infamous 'yellow book'...
Far more than gossip, these informations show just how intricately and inseparably all is interconnected in this here little knitting circle of ours...
yours, beggar

mountains

• MAY THE DALAI LAMA LIFT THE BAN AGAINST SHUGDEN
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 03:08:38 PM »
Thank you for your info. But why is it gossip??  I have good intents for finding out his background. It involves translation work. So the more i know, it would be easier to approach for work. Please be careful with your assumptions.

Alexis

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 09:49:37 PM »
Yes, that's it...a disciple of Zemey Rimpoche, sorry!

Mountains, the gossip comment was directed towards my speech not you legitimate inquiry!

Rowntree

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 04:14:20 PM »
Before he disrobed, he told those Geshes with potentials according to his judgment to leave the monastery in India to overseas. He claimed that there is no future in the monastery, in another word, educating and training monks to preserve the dharma teachings is not his concern. It is no wonder he disrobed, got married and earn lots of money translating Buddhist texts. He was an ex-Geshe and I wonder what he realized from the Buddha teachings. What I see now not only is he a coward who dare not stand up for Dorje Shugden, a practice his root Guru held to his heart, in order to continue to make good money under the shadow of His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama's fame.

dsnowlion

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2018, 11:06:20 PM »
Before he disrobed, he told those Geshes with potentials according to his judgment to leave the monastery in India to overseas. He claimed that there is no future in the monastery, in another word, educating and training monks to preserve the dharma teachings is not his concern. It is no wonder he disrobed, got married and earn lots of money translating Buddhist texts. He was an ex-Geshe and I wonder what he realized from the Buddha teachings. What I see now not only is he a coward who dare not stand up for Dorje Shugden, a practice his root Guru held to his heart, in order to continue to make good money under the shadow of His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama's fame.

If this is really what he said and thinks, then it is a clear sign of someone who has degenerated. Yes indeed it is sad that he would rather choose money and being politically correct, I guess for his livelihood which means money again is far more important than keeping his samaya with his Gurus. Very sad indeed. Enjoy now, but there is karma. 

Drolma

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2019, 07:14:17 AM »

If Thupten Jinpa wants to leave the monastery, just leave. Why make such comment that might affect the mind of the monks? If they also decide to disrobe after hearing what Thupten Jinpa said, he will accumulate so much negative karma.

What he has said about not having a future in the monastery shows he does not have faith in Dharma and Buddha's teachings. Dharma and what he has learnt when he was in the monastery become a money earning for him. It is a pity that something so precious is used to satisfy one's greed.

It is sad to see some Buddhist practitioner has degenerated to this level. If we apply Dharma in our lives, our lives and our mind will get better. We will be able to deal with problems more skilfully. We will become happier.

Tracy

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2019, 06:31:34 AM »
I also read that Thupten Jinpa was only following his guru's (Zemey Rinpoche) instruction to serve the 14th Dalai Lama. This is similar to the case of Samdhong Rinpoche, it was said that Samdhong Rinpoche's guru, Trijang Rinpoche told him to serve the 14th Dalai Lama.

These people claimed they have given up Dorje Shugden practice. They cut ties with Dorje Shugden followers and sometimes they condemn Dorje Shugden practice openly. If it is their gurus' instructions to serve the 14th Dalai Lama and the 14th Dalai Lama has told them to give up Dorje Shugden practice, do they have to follow?

In the case of Thupten Jinpa and Samdhong Rinpoche, does serving another person means following all the instructions even though the instructions seem to go against what their gurus? Will they accumulate any negative karma?