Author Topic: We should not follow the Dalai Lama's Contradictory Teachings  (Read 5104 times)

michaela

We should not follow the Dalai Lama's Contradictory Teachings
« on: August 09, 2017, 12:59:35 AM »
The Dalai Lama mentioned that if we find contradictions in the Dalai Lama’s teachings, we should not follow the teachings. Does this apply to his contradictory statements re Dorje Shugden practice?

*Dalai Lama denounces ethical misconduct by Buddhist teachers*
BY SAM LITTLEFAIR| AUGUST 8, 2017

The Dalai Lama said that when a teacher commits ethical misconduct and disregards Buddhist ethics, students should make the misconduct public.

In a talk last week, the Dalai Lama addressed recent allegations of misconduct in Buddhist communities. In July, famed Tibetan Buddhist teacher Sogyal Rinpoche was accused of longstanding abuse of many students. In response, Sogyal said he would be “taking a step back” from teaching. The Dalai Lama addressed Sogyal Rinpoche in his talk, saying “Sogyal Rinpoche, my very good friend. Now he is disgraced.”

His Holiness attributed ethical misconduct in Tibetan Buddhist monasteries to the influence of Tibet’s traditional feudal system. He advised Buddhists not to indiscriminately accept whatever their teacher says. “That is totally wrong.”

His Holiness advised students to investigate teachings, and, if they find the teachings to be harmful, “You shouldn’t follow the lama’s teachings. Even Dalai Lama’s teachings. If you find some contradiction, you should not follow my teachings.”

When misconduct occurs, the Dalai Lama advised, Buddhists should make the misconduct known. “These people do not follow Buddhist advice, Buddhist teachings. Only thing you can do is make public — through newspaper, through radio. Make public.” His Holiness said that where abusive teachers may not pay heed to Buddhist teachings on ethical behavior, they will likely take notice if their face appears in the media.

https://www.lionsroar.com/dalai-lama-denounce-ethical-misconduct-by-buddhist-teachers/

Ringo Starr

• Email
Re: We should not follow the Dalai Lama's Contradictory Teachings
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 09:59:32 AM »
Sure, of course it applies in all circumstances.

Here's the video link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wP4rsM7AZQ&t=5s

Dondrup Shugden

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 09:25:46 AM »
Be careful with what the Dalai Lama is saying.  The Dalai Lama had publicly announced that His teacher was wrong with the practice of Dorje Shugden propitiation.  Is He really giving freedom to denounce our Teachers when he had done so. After all the Ban on Dorje Shugden worship is still on and not lifted.

Sad to be so suspicious of the Dalai Lama, but then I am no Buddha and I just make logical conclusions to the teachings of the Dalai Lama.

Can Lamas abuse their students due to feudalistic minds of Tibetans? All depends on the motivation of the Lama. Are there no scriptures that teach that when a Lama punishes his students, it had been proven to remove obstinate obscurations of the students' mind and they have realisations for their spiritual path.

All in all, when the students are ready, they will have most realisations from their Guru's teachings otherwise it will pearls thrown at swines and no appreciation will be awarded the Guru.

kris

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 09:57:37 AM »
If we find contradictory teaching from Buddha Himself, does it mean we should abandon Buddha's teaching and take up other faith? Or is it because we do not have the wisdom to understand Buddha's wisdom? If we so easily give up Buddha's teaching just because of our wrong view of contradiction, does it really make sense? Does it mean that Buddha have to give us teaching which we cannot perceive as wrong?

michaela

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 05:45:08 PM »
If we find contradictory teaching from Buddha Himself, does it mean we should abandon Buddha's teaching and take up other faith? Or is it because we do not have the wisdom to understand Buddha's wisdom? If we so easily give up Buddha's teaching just because of our wrong view of contradiction, does it really make sense? Does it mean that Buddha have to give us teaching which we cannot perceive as wrong?

You brought up an interesting point. I think by saying that if we find contradiction if the Dalai Lama's teachings we should not follow the teachings, His Holiness is encouraging us to apply our inquiring and investigative mind in trying to comprehend the teachings and not merely applying blind faith. 

I do think that even if our teacher manifested something contradictory, we should not dismiss his advice immediately because we lack clairvoyance. Instead we have to investigate further so we can have a better understanding. because with understanding, our faith will grow and won't be easily shaken.

Matibhadra

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2017, 04:47:18 AM »
I think by saying that if we find contradiction if the Dalai Lama's teachings we should not follow the teachings, His Holiness is encouraging us to apply our inquiring and investigative mind in trying to comprehend the teachings and not merely applying blind faith.

Of course. As much as excrement encourages bacteria to decompose it.

Indeed, our analytical mind is like the beneficial bacteria decomposing the nauseating waste of lies and violence which are the actual “teachings” of your cult leader, the evil dalie.

michaela

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2017, 09:59:03 PM »
Dear Matibhadra,

I hope you'll watch your language and refrain yourself from saying improper world like calling the Dalai Lama "evil" I am a Dorje Shugden practice and not associated with the Dalai Lama. But it does not mean that he is evil. I don't agree that the ban and I hope the ban will be lifted one day very soon.

Michaela