Author Topic: Labrang Monastery in NW China  (Read 8206 times)

DharmaSpace

Labrang Monastery in NW China
« on: July 30, 2017, 05:01:36 PM »
These are some pictures of Labrang Monastery, that had undergone renovation.

More pictures from this monastery
https://www.theguardian.com/world/gallery/2017/jun/27/xiahe-chinas-tibetan-monastery-town-in-pictures

A more recent video on Labrang Monastery
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0JiiFtkuQk

I did not see so much signs of Dorje Shugden practiced here. Yet this place does not have the presence of Chinese soldiers. So many people have said the Chinese favour Dorje Shugden people and lamas, but here I don't see the trace of Dorje Shugden practices and the Tibetans have much freedom to do as they please, I could be mistaken. This area opens up to tourists as well.     

In the pictures and videos, many Tibetan architecture shine through. 

Rowntree

Re: Labrang Monastery in NW China
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 07:58:37 AM »
This monastery area looks very clean and well maintained. The surrounding looks serene and peaceful also. Many must have supported the good works and activities here allowing the dharma to flourish. The image of the monastery is a reflection of the practitioner and their practise. I rejoice fully to see the image of this temple and hope that it will continue to grow and bring more benefits to more and more people. It is now a trend to practise Buddhism in China and more and more young Chinese people are seeking Buddhism as a spiritual anchor in China, the competitive and fast-changing society we see today. This is a video to share with everyone https://youtu.be/tjKV1YFRPDc

dsnowlion

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 08:32:14 AM »
China has come very far to be where it is today as the number 1 superpower nation of the world. 

The fact that these new monasteries, as well as old monasteries, are being preserved, although they may be watched, is actually very good. With more and more monasteries being built or restored, it means more people will get to receive the Dharma!

This also means more people will be able to get to know Dorje Shugden, what His Holiness has done from banning the practice, has pushed the practice to China. Don't forget if Dalai Lama did not ban Dorje Shugden and said that it causes danger to the Tibetan cause and His life, China would not have given any attention to Dorje Shugden. So if we think about it deeper... Dalai Lama has basically promoted Dorje Shugden to China! 

michaela

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 10:03:53 AM »

I did not see so much signs of Dorje Shugden practiced here. Yet this place does not have the presence of Chinese soldiers. So many people have said the Chinese favour Dorje Shugden people and lamas, but here I don't see the trace of Dorje Shugden practices and the Tibetans have much freedom to do as they please, I could be mistaken. This area opens up to tourists as well.     

I think China unofficially favor Buddhism in General and not only Dorje Shugden practice. Other than Labrang Monastery in NW China, the Chinese government has restored many other monasteries that were destroyed during the cultural revolution, and not all of them are associated with Dorje Shugden (e.g., Samding Monastery, Shugseb Monastery). I think we will see the golden age of Buddhism in China very soon where all sects are equally respected as long as they don't pose harm to the society.

christine V

• Email
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 05:01:57 PM »
Labrang Monastery (Tibetan: ?????????????????????, Wylie: bla-brang bkra-shis-'khyil) is one of the six great monasteries of the Gelug school of Tibetan Buddhism. Its formal name is Genden Shédrup Dargyé Trashi Gyésu khyilwé Ling (Tibetan: ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????) The monastery was founded in 1709 by the first Jamyang Shêpa, Ngawang Tsondru. It is Tibetan Buddhism's most important monastery town outside the Tibetan Autonomous Region.

Most of the photos do not showed the Statues that contains inside the monastery. I think it is because it is not allowed to take photos in the monastery. Thus, whether is there any Dorje Shugden's statue, unless we been there, else it is hard to say