Author Topic: Boy self-immolates, Sikyong is responsible  (Read 13749 times)

DharmaDefender

Boy self-immolates, Sikyong is responsible
« on: July 17, 2017, 05:42:13 PM »
The Tibetan communitys been awash with news about this young chap attempting a self-immolation whilst the Sikyong was visiting his university. Of course, all of the Tibetan media found it necessary to highlight that Lobsang Sangye was NOT responsible for his attempt and the boy is happy with LS and his work. I call bollocks?

First of, in the first 24 hours, it was only the Tibetan MEDIA who published this. After that, it was all sorts of minor news channels. Not on CNN, not on Fox, not on even the Beeb. It really tells you you summit eh, if it doesnt even warrant a mention on the Beeb? The Beeb, our intrepid champion of democracy in the far reaches of our empire, isnt even interested in reporting on the death of Tibetans anymore :-\

Second of yeah, as the article notes, if LS is doing such a fantastic job it means youve got hope. If youve got hope for results in what hes doing, why try and kill yourself? So why even make it a point to emphasise his motivation, that its not Sangyes fault?

The whole affair smells fishier than a trip down to Aldeburgh on a windy day. Poor chap, what a waste of a young mans life and yeah, prayers he recovers soon.

Boy self-immolates, Sikyong is responsible
http://www.dorjeshugden.com/?p=54403

Tenzin Choeying, 20, attempted to self-immolate at the Central University for Tibetan Studies in Varanasi in a protest calling for Tibetan freedom. He did so while the Tibetan Prime Minister Sikyong Lobsang Sangay was at the university giving a speech to the faculty and students. The young man is currently in critical condition in the hospital, with burns on over 60% of his body.

Sad news reached us today of yet another attempted self-immolation. This time, the victim was a 20-year-old man, Tenzin Choeying, who set himself on fire to draw attention to the so-called Tibetan cause. The protest was carried out in Varanasi, during a visit by the Prime Minister of the Tibetan people Sikyong Lobsang Sangay.

Most significant in the reports were remarks that the young man made before he self-immolated. Remarkably, Choeying thanked the Sikyong for the supposedly good job that he is doing. Choeying even had the presence of mind to state that Lobsang Sangay had nothing to do with the protest.

This last statement must surely be something that the Sikyong now takes comfort in, although he knows the failure for a so-called free Tibet and to initiate dialogue with China actually lies with him and his ineffective governance and leadership.

Instead of taking comfort from a 20-year-old’s words however, we request that for once, Lobsang Sangay shows concern for his people. We request that he does not think about assuaging his guilt, and instead focuses on why Tibetans to this day try and kill themselves. In light of this, we ask that the Sikyong Lobsang Sangay and all readers to contemplate this: if Lobsang Sangay was doing such a good job, why would a young man find that it is necessary to attempt to kill himself?Surely people only resort to such extreme measures when they feel they have no hope and this is their last resort to make themselves heard.

The rest is in the article here: http://www.dorjeshugden.com/?p=54403

Matibhadra

Re: Boy self-immolates, Sikyong is responsible
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 03:13:54 PM »
Way more than minuscule Sangay, the evil dalie who has always and brazenly supported self-immolations is responsible.

KarmaRangdrol

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 02:08:17 AM »
If you're intentionally spelling his name incorrectly, why would anyone take your opinions seriously when the core tactic is pettiness? The only person who feels better about his name being spelt that way is you and as far as I can tell, your behaviour isn't convincing anyone on this forum.

Matibhadra

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 03:26:46 AM »
If you're intentionally spelling his name incorrectly,

The only one whose name I spelled in my previous post is minuscule Sangay's. Can you tell me where precisely is the “mispelling”?

why would anyone take your opinions seriously when the core tactic is pettiness?

What's “petty” with calling minuscule Sangay “minuscule Sangay”?

Besides, could you explain how the pettiness within your own mind could influence the opinion of others?

The only person who feels better about his name being spelt that way is you

What is in a minuscule Sangay that so much bothers you?

and as far as I can tell,

How far can you tell?

your behaviour isn't convincing anyone on this forum.

Of which you are not convinced yourself, so much you need to argue about my statements.

dsnowlion

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 01:59:20 PM »
Really poor boy... he died for the wrong reasons and wrong person! Where is Dharma and Buddhism in a society that represents it? WHY are Tibetans so attached? India is already giving them citizenship, passports etc... you would think having another chance at life would be the main goal. Why would you want to self-immolate when China is just going to laugh their heads off and feel happier when the population kills itself and dwindles down. How silly.

Poor boy, of all the people on this planet, he praises Sikyong Lobsang Sangay? What has the Sikyong done for them? I cannot believe that the CTA is just gonna stand there and watch them burn. Why won't they say anything? The only people who care is only the Tibetans and those who need to be on the Dalai Lama's camp. As a spiritual head, the HHDL needs to actually discourage taking one's own life. It is supposed to be bad karma to do so, isn't it?

AshRao

• Email
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 09:34:32 PM »

It’s really sad to see that this young boy thought that the Sikyong was doing a good job. That unfortunately is a not true. The CTA and Sikyong travel the world looking for funding for themselves and the Tibetan people in exile but when they do get the funds, there is no accountability where this money goes. So most often, this would surely get eaten up by those in power.

You hear nothing of the Sikyong being successful in his attempts to further the very cause that he receives funding for, that the Tibetans are poor exile refugees who want to get their country back somehow. There is even no dialogue with the Chinese authorities, let alone any progress in achieving either meaningful autonomy or even complete independence. But he still harps on again and again about the issue in order to raise funds which his government eats. They are ineffective, and that’s all there is to it.

Coupled with this is the governments lack of compassion for their own people. They sit by and let innocent people, like the boy above, try to kill themselves to get Tibet back. First off, the official stance of the Central Tibetan Administration is the middle way policy, so why would they not say something to stop the self-immolations by people who want a free Tibet. But on a more humane note, what sort of person would sit by and allow people to kill themselves, especially a person who is claiming to be a Buddhist? Shameful.

Pema8

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2017, 09:10:12 PM »
Another young person felt so much distress towards the situation of Tibet that he immolates himself. I cannot imagine the pain that the Tibetans go through because of their situation and their government does not move ahead in making their burden lighter.

When will the CTA befriend China and find ways to give a home to the Tibetans in Tibet. As we can see, the Tibetan Cause gets less attention and things do not improve. Stop these self-immolations and give the Tibetans, and especially to the young Tibetans, hope and future!

Big Uncle

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 10:15:40 PM »
Realistically speaking, how does self-immolation help anybody? I know it brings attention to the Tibetan cause because there are people who are so desperate that they would set themselves on fire for it. But what happened to the scores of people who self-immolated in Tibet? Did the deaths of those people change the dynamics between the Tibetan leadership in Dharamsala and China?

In fact, China has cracked down harder on the Tibetans and they have progressed no more than when they first started. It's a shame because so many Tibetans have lost their lives this way but it did not make a difference at all. Since that is the case, why allow more people to self-immolate and not issue statements to discourage people from further attempts at self-immolation.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

DharmaSpace

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2017, 05:00:53 PM »
The Tibetans in exile are desperate there is no doubt about that at all.

But there is an alternative return to Tibet, the homeland. Yes there are some freedoms curtailed naturally, but Tibet has opportunity with all the development happening there. China does not really want to oppress or suppress the Tibetans anymore than they need to. In India there is no growth nor opportunities, under CTA.

In this case better the devil you don't know.

DharmaSpace

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2017, 05:03:23 PM »
Oh Yes, CTA and Lobsang Sangay for not speaking out against this useless immolation, another young life is snuffed out. Being snuffed out and creating no mileage is just a pure waste of human life, time and resources.

He could have lived at least another 30-40 years productively. This is the silence of the CTA. CTA are responsible for this young man taking his life. 

michaela

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2017, 04:20:40 AM »
It is sad that a 19-year-old boy had to self-immolate himself for a Tibetan cause. Over the years, I have always wonder how can the administration of a group of people who consider themselves as Buddhist can encourage self-immolation? It is wrong to kill oneself - and being a 19- year-old, I don't think he is fully informed of the consequences of self-immolation.

Too bad that he had to die for the hopeless free Tibet cause.

michaela

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2017, 02:02:28 PM »
This is the result of the CTA encouraging self-immolation. More casualties this month.

*Tibetan Self-Immolates in India in Second Burning This Month*

An unmarried Tibetan man set himself on fire and died in the northwest Indian hill town of Dharamsala on Saturday in a protest calling for the long life of exiled spiritual leader the Dalai Lama, Tibetan sources said.

Dhondup, aged 48 and a painter employed by the Norbulingka Institute—a center for the preservation of Tibetan culture and art—self-immolated at about 3:30 p.m. on July 29 in a wooded spot called Lhagyal Ri where local Tibetans perform religious rites, witnesses to the burning said.

“When I arrived, his body was mostly burnt, but there was nothing I could do,” one witness to the protest, Tenzin Dorje, told RFA’s Tibetan Service.

“I immediately went to call others [for help], including the Tibetan Youth Organization, and when we returned we found an umbrella, a small Tibetan flag, two to three thousand Indian rupees, and a small note about the 80th birthday of His Holiness the Dalai Lama,” he said.

Another witness, a woman named Ama Phurkyi, told a press conference after the protest that she had been walking along a path that circles the area, “when I suddenly heard the sound of fire burning.”

“When I looked back, I heard a man calling out for the long life of His Holiness the Dalai Lama while engulfed in flames,” Ama Phurkyi said. “I was so frightened that I ran away so that I could inform others.”

Gyurme Dorje, another witness to the burning, said he also heard Dhondup call out for the Dalai Lama’s long life, he said.

“I was impressed by his faith and devotion for His Holiness,” he said.

A sincere worker

Speaking to RFA, Norbulingka Institute employee Nyima Gyalpo said that Dhondup, who sources said had arrived in India from Tibet in 1991, was proficient in the Tibetan language and a regular reader of Tibetan newspapers like the Tibet Times and Tibet Express.

“He did his work sincerely and always reported on time,” Gyalpo said, adding that Dhondup tended to avoid going out with others and preferred going places on his own.

Dhondup’s protest was the second self-immolation by a Tibetan living in India this month, and followed the July 14 self-immolation of Tenzin Choeying, a Tibetan college student living in Varanasi who died of his burns more than a week later.

Self-immolation protests by Tibetans living outside Tibetan-populated areas of China are rare, while a total of 150 have now set themselves ablaze in Tibet and Tibetan-populated counties in western China.

Most protests feature demands for Tibetan freedom and the return of the Dalai Lama from India, where he has lived since escaping Tibet during a failed national uprising in 1959.

Reported by Sangye Dorje and Lobe Socktsang for RFA’s Tibetan Service. Translated by Karma Dorjee. Written in English by Richard Finney.

http://www.rfa.org/english/news/tibet/burning-07312017145025.html

dsnowlion

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2017, 03:12:52 PM »
Such a shame! Another boy dies for WRONG PEOPLE, WRONG REASONS and WHY hasn't the Tibetan leaders said anything? Do they realise that all this violence is heading nowhere, except maybe less Tibetan population?

Do they realise that not saying anything mean they condone and encourage their own people to die? They should really stop these youth and they should encourage a more positive, peaceful way of protest?

If your own government doesn't say anything and allows you to burn yourself and die, what does it tells you about the government? Definitely NOT for the People but their own pockets! Shame CTA, shame Dharamsala, Shame you let your people die for YOUR FAILURES!

DharmaDefender

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2017, 12:55:47 AM »
“I was impressed by his faith and devotion for His Holiness,” he said.

That is just sick. Who dedicates death to anyone? If he was so faithful and devoted, he should of not killed himself. He should of stayed alive and inspired others to faith and devotion through his thangka painting. Thatd been a better use of his talents than bloody burning himself to death. Im sorry hes gone in such a horrible way but that was such a warped way of thinking and it just goes to show you badly Dharamsalas educated their people. Their valuing the wrong things and undervaluing the right ones. How many more lives need to be lost before the CTA bleeding wake up and realise wots going on with their people?   :-\

pemachen

• Email
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2017, 04:22:07 AM »
It is a shame that the CTA does not do anything to stop this because every self-immolation, in Tibet or in exile is a chance for the CTA to get some publicity. On their own, they have not accomplish much that is news worthy for Tibetans.

It is sad that India has to speak up for Tibetans in exile and the CTA while nothing much has progressed. Nine rounds of talks had taken place between the China and Tibet (in exile) since 2002, but had not produced any break through in the Tibetan issue, and since 2010 the talks had stalled. It has been 7 years.