Author Topic: Why Chinese International Students Hate the Dalai Lama  (Read 5921 times)

Ringo Starr

• Email
Why Chinese International Students Hate the Dalai Lama
« on: March 13, 2017, 02:32:07 PM »
I would suggest readers go to this website and leave well argued comments to educate the students and staff of UCSD who has invited His Holiness as commencement speaker this summer.

The Guardian
University of California, San Diego
By Timothy Deng - March 12, 2017

The warm scent of coffee wafted out of Price Center’s Starbucks as I sat outside in the breezy air, waiting for Yuki Huang, a second year at Revelle College. While we bantered, the name of her home province in China, Fujian, came up and, remarking at my pronunciation, she asked if I could speak Mandarin.

I could; it was the first language I was taught as a child. But as an American-born Chinese, I also lacked the cultural knowledge of my country’s history to adequately explain Chinese international students’ recent outrage over the 14th Dalai Lama speaking at this year’s commencement. Daughter of a doctor and civil servant of the Chinese government, Huang attempted to explain her perspective to me.

“Almost every international student dislikes [the Dalai Lama],” she started off, “because he is to China what Edward Snowden is to America. We all regard him as a traitor.”

I winced, telling her Edward Snowden was a personal hero of mine. Without missing a beat, she clarified to me, “Maybe the Western media portrays him as a spiritual leader who loves peace, but in reality he is definitely involved in all types of politics. He wants to be a dictator in Tibet; he doesn’t really want to liberate Tibet but wants to control Tibet through violence.”

Before I even opened my mouth to say anything about Chinese media, she stopped me. “I’m not brainwashed by propaganda or anything,” she said to me, giggling. “I don’t watch news that often.”

Huang tried to give me a quick history lesson, explaining that Tibet was historically part of China. According to her claims, Tibet under the Dalai Lama had a feudalist system that perpetuated slavery and serfdom, with a small elite in control. The Tibetan government asserted that the serfs’ status was a result of its misdeeds in a past life, preventing them from protesting their living conditions. A war broke out in 1950 between the People’s Liberation Army of China and Tibet; the Dalai Lama, who supposedly wanted to control Tibet through a violent authoritarian regime and was backed with weapons by the CIA, escaped to India. Now, while China attempts to modernize Tibet by sending in workers and eradicating an outdated culture that supports slavery, the Dalai Lama continues to spread propaganda in an attempt to retake control of an independent Tibet.

Facts related to Tibet and China are murky, but much of what Huang told me appeared to have a basis in fact, or at the very least, to be truer than many versions of history I’ve heard. Peter Hessler from the Atlantic, who visited Tibet in the 1990s, claims in “Tibet Through Chinese Eyes” that while Tibet’s claims for independence might be “more compelling than the Chinese version,” China probably has a “stronger historical claim to Tibet than the U.S. does to much of the American West,” citing Chinese rule of the region dating back centuries. Reports of a serfdom in Tibet are also concerns which, while perhaps exaggerated, may not be completely invalid either: While Tibetan scholars in the West are in agreement that there was no historical serfdom, the Chinese assert that “95 percent of the population were hereditary serfs and slaves owned by monasteries and nobles,” as cited by Hessler. Furthermore, the Tibetan government under the Dalai Lama engaged in some human rights abuses of its own: for instance Lungshar, a political figure who challenged the conservative elite in the 1930s, had both eyes gouged out for allegedly plotting a coup. Accusations that the Dalai Lama has been used by the United States to fight the Chinese government are not unfounded either. As tensions between the U.S. and communist regimes ran high in the 1950s, the CIA did indeed support the Dalai Lama with propaganda distribution, intelligence and political espionage to counter Chinese influence in Tibet.

As an English teacher at the Linzhi No. 2 High School two years ago, Huang had personal experience living in Tibet. She was one of many teachers from various provinces sent to Tibet along with others who helped build the region’s infrastructure. Defensively, Huang told me that Tibetans enjoy far more rights than other Chinese citizens and their capital city is developing even faster than her own home province, thanks to support from the Chinese government.

“They can stick with their marriage culture and marry more than one person. The United States doesn’t allow Mormons to do that, but we allow Tibetans to.”

Huang said most of the Tibetans she interacted with seem to be happy with their situation. “When I say I think most Tibetans don’t want to be independent, I mean the Tibetans who live in Tibet, not the Tibetans who live in India,” she clarified. “I have talked to some Tibetans in Tibet, and they regard him as a fraud and a dictator rather than a religious leader.”

For Huang, the invitation of the Dalai Lama to commencement is an insult. Passionately, and despite the fact that she is not graduating, she reminded me that commencement is a time of celebration.

“International students have to celebrate their graduation, and they will invite their parents. They will fly all the way from China to the U.S., and when they are so happy, they’ll see this guy who tries to split their country giving a speech here.”

Read Also:
Dalai Lama to Speak at Commencement || Lauren Holt, News

Why I Won’t Accept the Dalai Lama as Commencement Speaker || Ruixuan Wang, Op-Ed

Some students, especially online, have attempted to silence Chinese international students by telling them they have no place to complain about commencements speakers in a school where they are “guests.”

“This is discrimination,” Huang said angrily. “Just because we’re foreigners, we’re not treated as part of the UC community. Our voices deserve to be heard.”

???

The next week at the same Starbucks, I talked to Yuxiao Fang. Since it was a drizzly day, we sat inside. Fang, a junior cognitive science major from Xian, China, was quieter than Huang but talked rapidly. Like Huang, he started off with an analogy about the Dalai Lama splitting his home country.

“You don’t want anyone to split [your country] in any way, just as you wouldn’t want Texas to be an independent country from now on.”

I grimaced at the analogy, personally knowing plenty of people at UC San Diego who sure wouldn’t mind. Sitting up, I ask him what he thinks when people suggest the Dalai Lama inciting violence is Chinese propaganda.

“You say it’s Chinese propaganda, but it might be international propaganda against China,” he said nonchalantly. “Every coin has two sides. Check both when you make a decision.”

As a junior, Fang, like Huang, won’t actually be attending commencement, and he knows that it is unlikely that UCSD will uninvite the Dalai Lama as speaker, citing damage to our school’s reputation, since we invited him first. Instead, his goal is to start a conversation between students and administration. He hopes that UCSD will consider students’ opinions when making decisions—especially, he claims, when wrong decisions can be hurtful to their future career prospects.

“I’ve heard of a college that had the Dalai Lama come to commencement, and afterward, one of the Chinese students came back to China to look for work. During [this process], his HR just said, ‘I heard your college commencement speaker was the Dalai Lama so I can’t give you a chance.’ Not only is it hurting our feelings, it’s hurting our professional careers. That’s a rare case, but I mention it as a possibility.” Though the Dalai Lama indeed spoke at Tulane University in 2013, a source could not be found to verify this anecdote.

???

Huang and Fang both vehemently support free speech. Fang cited it as the reason he is making his voice heard. He explained that if UCSD can invite the Dalai Lama to commencement, then students can tell everyone how they feel about the event. Huang wished that UCSD invited the Dalai Lama to a different event instead, so that students could choose whether to attend. Of course, graduating seniors can indeed choose to not attend, but who wants to miss commencement?

At the end of the day, I was still left confused by what the facts were. Pages about these controversies are long and dense, and fact-checking this article proved to be nearly impossible. For example, simply checking if slavery existed in Tibet was difficult: Sources supporting China claim that Tibet, prior to 1959, had a population that was 95 percent serfs. This is the same viewpoint Huang and Fang tried to give me. Other sources, such as Heidi Fjeld’s Commoners and Nobles, argues that the situation in Tibet was more analogous to a caste hierarchy, or that the Chinese government did not improve the situation by invading and that Tibet was well on its way to reforming itself. These sources contend that China’s imposition of their communist regime on Tibet has resulted in worse human rights violations and the suppression of Tibet’s buddhist tradition. I still don’t know what the truth is. But you don’t have to have a strong opinion on the affairs of Tibet and China to lend an ear to other students who have something to say about it.

Other sources to read:

Friendly Feudalism: The Tibet Myth, by Michael Parenti. Published January 2, 2007

This Was the Perilous Trek to Tragedy, by Frank Bessac. Published in LIFE, November 13, 1950

Human Rights Violations in Tibet, Statement by Elliot Sperling. Published by Human Rights Watch, June 13, 2000

Source:
http://ucsdguardian.org/2017/03/12/why-chinese-international-students-hate-the-dalai-lama/#comment-84203

grandmapele

Re: Why Chinese International Students Hate the Dalai Lama
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 03:59:54 AM »
Agreed that the students have a right to freedom of speech and to voice their protest against the university's choice of speaker at their commencement. As Yuxiao Fang said  “Every coin has two sides. Check both when you make a decision.” The idea is to listen to both sides with an open mind and make an informed decision. Don't make decisions that will please the powers that be that happen to control your purse strings.  That is taught by the Buddha as well. Question and learn with an open mind which is also what universities are suppose to teach.

Glad that these students are applying what they learnt and are able to think with clarity. May the Tibetans learn to do as well. Don't let loyalty turn them into cultists rather than practitioners.

Pema8

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 11:55:44 AM »
It is sad that Tibet cannot find peace within China. It is clearly up to their government to make a better future for the Tibetans. China is slandered all over the world because of Tibet but on the other hand, people start to learn about the Dorje Shugden ban, they see that many are speaking up against the discrimination between Tibetans themselves.

It is obvious that the Tibetans themselves got some clear issues with human rights and the freedom of religion. Not enough with that, families and friends are separated, cannot get jobs, even children and the sick have to suffer segregation and are not treated in hospitals for example, only because they practice Dorje Shugden!

When does the CTA practice human rights themselves? China got more religious freedom than the CTA gives to the Tibetans!

DharmaSpace

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 08:03:38 AM »
I hope the Chinese Students can make their voices heard, all over the world to highlight some of the grievances of the Tibetan people and the problems that CTA has been perpetuating.

The situation with Tibetans in exile is like a market on a Sunday morning. Tibetan community, has never been split like this before, along the lines of politics and spirituality as well. These are the lives of Tibetans in exile we are talking about and the CTA has made a mockery of it.

Can people really live like this? Seems like things are getting from worst to bad for Tibetans in exile.

Dondrup Shugden

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 08:08:17 AM »
Wishing that the Chinese International Students will have more "say" in who attends and gives speeches at their commencement is indeed important.

But more importantly is for the International Universities administration to realise their graduating students may have adversity in getting a job in their home country, China, if the Dalai Lama is present at the commencement celebrations.  Indeed which University would like their students to be discriminated by a mistake they make.

Out of compassion for these students and operating from a heart of compassion, I hope that the Dalai Lama will not accept such invitations even though the publicity can serve him well. 

In Buddhism, we need to sacrifice for the bigger benefit of others. 

grandmapele

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 11:17:19 AM »
Dondrup Shugden, I agree with you that the Chinese International Students should have more say in who speaks at their commencement. The university administration should steer clear of figures who have even a hint of controversy. Just like Pope Francis, who is facing a lot of controversy within the church has no need of more controversy and thus declined to meet the Dalai Lama.

The administration should really, really try to be neutral in all matters in the academic circle.

Matibhadra

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 04:46:36 PM »
The administration should really, really try to be neutral in all matters in the academic circle.

They should not, because such administration is paid by their master sponsor, the Jewish terrorist financier George Soros, precisely *not*  be impartial. It is unrealistic to expect something different from them.

Richardlaktam

• Email
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2017, 05:00:56 PM »
While the Dalai Lama supporter shouting Dorje Shugden practitioners are China cult, China propaganda, in the same time, at China side, Chinese international students are shouting that Dalai Lama is dictator. Well, this is politics. From the politics point of view, yes, Dalai Lama banned Dorje Shugden, causing the Tibetan in exile living in suffering, separated from their family, can't admit hospital, can't stay at hotels bla bla bla...... And the government he's leading ban Lukar Jam, ban anyone that they thought is against Dalai Lama even they didn't. From this, Dalai Lama really does look bad in many countries' eyes.
But from the spiritual point of view, Dalai Lama sacrifice his name, in order to spread Dorje Shugden. We all know that whatever Dalai Lama says no, China will say yes. With that also, indirectly China fork money to develop Tibet, maybe this is what Dalai Lama wants? From our layman's eyes, yes, maybe all the things that he did and he does is against China, rumours saying that he even intend to end the Dalai Lama title by his own hand. If that really so, then Panchen Lama will take over the position. We all also know that the current Panchen Lama is recognized by China from Tibet. Thus, he's actually indirectly helping his own lineage to grow, and better still, back in Tibet.
So, which side is helping who? We don't know. We don't even know why H.H The Dalai Lama, the reincarnation of the great compassion Chenrezig, is doing this for. It's too soon to comment.

Big Uncle

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2017, 10:06:13 PM »
I am actually quite amused by this article and I do find that an overwhelming amount of mainland Chinese as well as overseas Chinese predisposed towards China'a propaganda. I am not here to say that Chinese are wrong about the Dalai Lama and that he is a saint. When they talk of the political agenda of the Dalai Lama, it seems to come across as contrived and overly exaggerated.

What I find interesting is the fact that they do not use the Dorje Shugden issue to further incriminate the Dalai Lama. I find this to be a particularly valid point to use against the Dalai Lama because it is true and backed up by various evidences that are especially documented here on this website.

Matibhadra

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2017, 11:34:43 PM »
When they talk of the political agenda of the Dalai Lama, it seems to come across as contrived and overly exaggerated.

Which is likely because of your own predisposition towards Western anti-China propaganda, a mere awareness of which you show little signs of.

What I find interesting is the fact that they do not use the Dorje Shugden issue to further incriminate the Dalai Lama. I find this to be a particularly valid point to use against the Dalai Lama because it is true and backed up by various evidences that are especially documented here on this website.

Actually, much more interesting is how many so-called Shugdenpas restrict their criticism of the evil dalie merely to the Shugden issue, as though apart from such issue everything else would be nice and dandy.

This shows how much such self-styled Shugdenpas have been thoroughly brainwashed by Western anti-China propaganda, and how much they have to learn from the very Chinese students they try to put down.

Matibhadra

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2017, 09:37:24 AM »
While the Dalai Lama supporter shouting Dorje Shugden practitioners are China cult, China propaganda, in the same time, at China side, Chinese international students are shouting that Dalai Lama is dictator.  Well, this is politics.

Except that the dalaite cult is indeed a fanatical cult, and that the evil dalie is indeed a dictator.

Trying to equate such radically different things as hysterical dalaite witch-hunters and their anti-Shugden shoutings, on the one hand, with the outraged, but reasoned, protest of the Chinese students against the honor offered to a dictator who is the very leader of those witch-hunters, on the other hand, says something not only about your anti-China hatred, but also about your love for Western supported dictators and cult leaders.

Your equation is an eloquent testament to the power of Western relentless propaganda, which both deifies criminals such as the evil dalie (not to mention many others), and demonizes independent, uncompliant, self-reliant countries such as China (not to mention many others).

It is also a testament to the vulnerability of human mind, which allows itself to be brutalized and idiotified by such propaganda.

From the politics point of view, yes, Dalai Lama banned Dorje Shugden, causing the Tibetan in exile living in suffering, separated from their family, can't admit hospital, can't stay at hotels bla bla bla......

Since you see mere “politics” and “blablabla” in the suffering imposed by your beloved cult leader, the evil dalie on Shugdenpas, it is quite obvious that your ostensible “pro-Shugden” stance is just a fakery.

But from the spiritual point of view, Dalai Lama sacrifice his name, in order to spread Dorje Shugden.

What do you call “spiritual”? To dismiss the suffering of others, as you nonchalantly do?

Besides, according to your logic the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were very good, because they helped to spread the anti-nuclear movement, right?

We all know that whatever Dalai Lama says no, China will say yes.

Wrong. China accepted the evil dalie's Karmapa.

With that also, indirectly China fork money to develop Tibet,

China forks money to bring social and economic development everywhere in the country, and even abroad, and Tibet is no exception.

maybe this is what Dalai Lama wants?

What a joke. Since when Western backed puppet-dictators want any kind of development? If the evil dalie wanted development he would go back to China and support China's efforts, as the Panchen Lama does.

From our layman's eyes, yes, maybe all the things that he did and he does is against China, rumours saying that he even intend to end the Dalai Lama title by his own hand.

Which is a ridiculous intention, as the Dalai Lama title was not created by any Dalai Lama, but by Tümed Mongols who became Chinese vassals, and is conferred by China, not by CNN.

If that really so, then Panchen Lama will take over the position. We all also know that the current Panchen Lama is recognized by China from Tibet. Thus, he's actually indirectly helping his own lineage to grow,

The evil dalie has no lineage, as his disparages his root gurus and does everything to disrupt the Gelugpa.

And just what grows around the evil dalie are bloody racist riots, self-immolations, medieval witch-hunts, and the usual bunch of disgruntled feudal landlords, ex-slave owners, corrupt politicians, and assorted CIA operatives all too eager to receive Western money.

and better still, back in Tibet.

Back in South Tibet, as in Tawang, donated by the evil traitor the 13th dalie lame to his British puppet masters, you mean, in order to inflame the rift between India and China, and therefore serve his Western puppet-masters' interests.

So, which side is helping who? We don't know.

Of course we know. China is helping Buddhism, as it does for centuries, and the West is harming Buddhism, as it does for centuries.

And the evil dalie, as an anti-China Western puppet, is always harming Buddhism, as he does leading the destruction of the Gelugpa, the anti-Shugden witch-hunt, supporting Muslim al-Qaeda jihadists against Buddhists in Myanmar and Sri Lanka, and so forth.

We don't even know why H.H The Dalai Lama, the reincarnation of the great compassion Chenrezig, is doing this for.

As a blind dalaite cult follower, you are indeed not supposed to know anything, because such cults operate precisely on the basis of the ignorance of their blind followers.

It's too soon to comment.

As a blind dalaite cult follower, you are not supposed to “comment” on anything, you are just supposed to obey and shut up.

Matibhadra

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2017, 09:45:56 AM »
With that also, indirectly China fork money to develop Tibet,

Suggesting that China forks money to develop Tibet “thanks to the evil dalie” is akin to say that someone cleans their toilet thanks to the dirty inside it.