Author Topic: Can HH Dalai Lama still effectively represent the Dharma?  (Read 4977 times)

Ringo Starr

• Email
Can HH Dalai Lama still effectively represent the Dharma?
« on: July 16, 2016, 10:03:10 PM »
I recently came across this opinion piece which encapsulates the massive dichotomy with regards to HHDL.

HHDL's religious-political nature is slowly but surely degrading HHDL's effectiveness in spreading the Dharma.

Sri Lanka’s hostile attitude towards Dalai Lama
By NS Venkataraman
CHENNAI, India, 11 July 2016

https://www.tibetsun.com/opinions/2016/07/11/sri-lankas-hostile-attitude-towards-dalai-lama

Indeed many of HHDL past actions actions, including the ban of the Dorje Shugden practice, has divided rather than united and this is evident in the present situation with regards to Sri Lanka too.

When is HHDL going to drop it?

SabS

Re: Can HH Dalai Lama still effectively represent the Dharma?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 09:37:25 PM »
Personally I think that Mr. NS Venkataraman was a little hard on Sri Lankan government as naturally concern for the prosperity of the country, they would not wish to offend their trade partner, China. Although they may respect the Dalai Lama as the "Buddhist Leader", due to the Dalai Lama's political stance, they would not be able to entertain his presence in Sri Lanka. Sri Lanka being 70% Buddhist would probably take the non-confrontational approach to avoid political problems. And who's to say that the Dalai Lama will not "create any unrest in the country or cause any harm to the well-being of Sri Lanka". With the ban on Dorje Shugden imposed by the Dalai Lama and CTA, the controversy had affected many countries who had Buddhists amongst their citizen. Even a neutral country like Singapore who practises religious freedom, signs refusing entry to Shugden practitioners had been displayed. I am sure that Sri Lankan government decided to practise foresight rather having to correct mistakes on hindsight.

Celia

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 06:13:18 PM »
Basically, it is more like politics at play rather than to look at this as a gauge of the Dalai Lama’s effectiveness in spreading the Dharma.

As much as the actions of the Dalai Lama to date, (with regards to the ban) paints him in a bad light at this juncture, it is undeniable that regardless of the manner in which it was done (which we deemed to be in a less than desirable manner), the Dorje Shugden practice has undeniably been made known worldwide and many people that would not otherwise know about Dorje Shugden is able to receive and connect with this practice.

Also, perhaps it is just me but I am inclined to take heed of Trijang Rinpoche’s prediction in the 60s that we should not have wrong views of both Dorje Shugden and the Dalai Lama because both of them are working for the benefit of sentient beings and the growth of the Dharma.

Rinchen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 01:10:52 AM »
I believe that Sri Lanka denying the visa for H.H. Dalai Lama because of more political reasons. I believe that it is a way that pleases China and to form good relationship ties with China that is why they do not let HHDL from entering into their country.

Just like it was mentioned, even countries like Singapore do not let HHDL in due to the political effects that might happen. And Singapore is a country that has religious freedom and allow anyone to practice whatever that they deem correct.

I do not wish to see countries not welcoming HHDL to their land. In fact, I wish that more countries will open their doors to HHDL. But until the ban is removed and also for HHDL to reform their ties with China, I do not think this will happen very soon due to the growing economic strength of China.

grandmapele

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 10:18:41 AM »
Since the Dalai Lama became the head of the Tibetan state, he became the political head. As with any politics, Sri Lanka and other countries have to be politically correct and on the right side of the world economic powers. So, they would rather avoid any confrontation with China over the Dalai Lama issue. So, the Dalai Lama and the CTA has to solve this issue and obtain a dialogue with China. More countries will follow in Sri Lanka's footsteps, and the Dalai Lama may find himself very unwelcomed in a lot of countries.

So, the Dalai Lama and the CTA will have to show their genuine and good intention to China to turn the tide.

As for the Dorje Shugden issue, CTA and the Dalai Lama will have to reconsider. Their confrontational attitude is not going to get them anywhere except maybe look good in the Tibetans eyes. Also, as I've always maintained, it is nothing but a spin to distract the poor Tibetans from the real issue which is the inability of their government in exile to do anything to bring them home to Tibet.

Tenzin Malgyur

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2016, 01:38:28 PM »
Outwardly it looks like the denial of visa to HHDL by the Sri Lanka's government as a factor of not wanting to offend China. After all, why jeopardize a good economic relationship with a superpower which would bring in revenue that would benefit its citizens and country.
Also, with the news of the discrimination of Shugden practitioners by the CTA coming into the attention of the world, I think the Sri Lankan government had made the right decision re visits by HHDL. Could it be a gentle message from the Sri Lanka government that they do not agree with the illegal ban of Shugden practice, since many Sri Lankans are Buddhist.

grandmapele

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2016, 05:14:08 PM »
Secularly, many countries and heads of religious traditions are giving the Dalai Lama a free pass. They have to appease China as China, right now, wields the economic power. Others, may just want to stay away from any hint of controversy. They have their own tight rope to walk. So, is the Dalai Lama going to go out for a walkabout and see what's been happening within the Tibetan communities? and really be more liberal?

pgdharma

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2016, 10:47:23 AM »
China has grown economically powerful and has its influence to dissuade world leaders from welcoming the Dalai Lama and one of them is Sri Lanka, a Buddhist island that still depends on China for major development, investments and loans has to abide in order not to antagonize China. It is sad and disturbing that Sri Lanka, which is home to some of Buddhist most sacred sites has denied visa for the Dalai Lama who is much respected by Buddhist around the world.

The ban of Dorje Shugden practice has to end. This controversy has affected many Buddhist countries around the world.  It has divided rather than unite the Buddhists and the Dalai Lama visit may create unrest or cause harm to the well being of Sri Lanka.

grandmapele

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2016, 08:09:09 PM »
The day the Dalai Lama called for the segregation of the Dorje Shugden practitioners and non-practitioner, he has effectively divided the Tibetan BUddhist. Saint or sinner will be decided by a formal debate. But the Dalai Lama has chosen to ignore the issue.

The real reason behind the band is not within our comprehension.  All we can do is help the Dorje Shugdener in India by raising awareness of their plight.