Author Topic: Contemplations on 'The Four Seals'  (Read 5820 times)

Ratna Shugden

• Email
Contemplations on 'The Four Seals'
« on: March 17, 2016, 08:05:28 AM »
Contemplations on 'The Four Seals'

The Four Seals
(1) All products are impermanent
(2) All contaminated things are the nature of suffering
(3) All phenomena are selfless
(4) Only #nirvana is peace

Application on #sleep
1. The high level of #energy which the consciousness is conscious of after waking up is impermanent. This energy depletes as I work.
2. The #happiness from sleep is a form of 'Changing suffering', it's not true happiness.
"The suffering of change is that which is pleasant when arising, pleasant when remaining, but painful when ceasing.”
3. There's no 'me' who sleeps & wake to experience (1) & (2). The non-self physical body demands sleep.
4. After attaining nirvana, I don't need sleep anymore & happiness from nirvana is true happiness.

Application on eating & drinking
1. #Satisfaction & happiness from consumption is impermanent.
2. The happiness from consumption is a form of 'Changing suffering', it's not true happiness. We eat & drink to assuage our never ending #hunger & thirst. Hunger & thirst will arise again, recreating the need to eat & drink again.
"The suffering of change is that which is pleasant when arising, pleasant when remaining, but painful when ceasing.”
3. There's no 'me' who consumes & enjoy. The non-self physical body demands food & drink.
4. After attaining nirvana, I don't need to eat & drink anymore & happiness from nirvana is true happiness.

Pema8

Re: Contemplations on 'The Four Seals'
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 12:28:10 AM »
This is good to contemplate about. We put so much importance on things that seem to bring us happiness.
"Sleep is just another form of suffering" - we sleep too much or not enough - same with food!

Thank you for sharing!