Author Topic: Next Dalai Lama - Very attractive female?  (Read 4499 times)

kris

Next Dalai Lama - Very attractive female?
« on: September 27, 2015, 04:12:35 PM »
By now, most people would already heard the famous interview on HH Dalai Lama about His successor: "I mean, if female Dalai Lama come, then that female must be very attractive, otherwise not much use."

Watch the video here: http://qz.com/511091/the-dalai-lama-says-any-female-successor-would-have-to-be-very-attractive/

HH Dalai Lama is now under a lot of fire for making this remarks which is considered sexist, and come under a lot of attacks.

What do you think about this? Do you think HH Dalai Lama means "charming" than "physically attractive"? Or what other reasons do you think HH Dalai Lama make such seemingly sexist remarks?

grandmapele

Re: Next Dalai Lama - Very attractive female?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 08:37:10 AM »
Doubt if the Dalai Lama means 'charming' rather than ' "physically attractive". His command of English isn't that bad. Besides, he has his own translator, surely he can't make that kind of mistake. I Think he means exactly what he said.

I remember reading somewhere that Tenzin Palmo once asked the Dalai Lama about the 'glass ceiling' for nuns and didn't get any answer. Is this the Dalai Lama's answer so many years later? But, then again, why a  "female must be very attractive," line?  Guess only enlightened beings can answer that question!

Midakpa

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 03:27:34 PM »
Personally, I don't think His Holiness made a sexist remark. I think the remark has been taken out of context. Firstly, for a Buddhist monk to wish to be born female is proof that he is not biased against the opposite sex! In Buddhism, one is traditionally encouraged to wish to be reborn as a male but of course this has become outdated in modern times, and the Dalai Lama himself is open-minded about this. We do not have the power to see into the future nor the wisdom to understand why His Holiness has such a wish so we should not make any judgements.

People do take rebirths sometimes as males and sometimes in female form. Here is an account given by Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo who received information about her previous lives from her guru Khamtrul Rinpoche:

"I think I had been a monk for many lifetimes and that my relationship with Khamtrul Rinpoche started a long time ago. That's why when we met again it was a matter of taking up where we left off. I think I was his attendant monk, or something like that."

"Khamtrul Rinpoche did say that we had been very close for many lifetimes. He also commented that because this time I had taken female form far away from him in the West it had been difficult for us to be together but that in spite of this he'd always held me in his heart."

Later, more specific information of her past lives was revealed. Tenzin Palmo suspected that in one lifetime she had been a yogi, very close to the sixth Khamtrul Rinpoche, who lived earlier this century. (From Vicki Mackenzie, "Cave in the Snow")

In this lifetime, as a woman, Jetsunma has benefited many people, especially women. And I must say she is very "attractive"!

I wouldn't be surprised if H.H. the Dalai Lama came back in female form. He must have his reasons. And it would help if the reincarnation is "attractive", endowed with all the good qualities of body, speech and mind, and is able to attract sentient beings to the Dharma, for that would be the main objective.

eyesoftara

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 05:47:09 AM »
I agree that the Dalai Lama is not a sexist but perhaps he may have intentionally made the remark to assassinate his own image. I know many have said his English is not good, but I think definitely he cannot make mistakes as I don't regard him as an ordinary being. Anything he does is to benefit others.

Hence, whatever that has gone viral now, on the surface seemed to be that his image has been tarnish somewhat, we got to think in what way it will benefit others. I only can conclude that perhaps that there will not be a future incarnation that will be effective. That is perhaps his intention.

Shugden Library

• Followers of Dorje Shugden
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 02:26:23 PM »
This interview was one of many the Dalai Lama has given over the past few years where he makes sexist and derogatory remarks against women.
In this short video compilation, witness for yourself - three interviews, three Continents, same sexist attitude. In the last video, the scene in which he appears to fondle imaginary breasts is just weird!

https://youtu.be/SHPcBq4k0pI

kelly

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 07:45:44 AM »
I do not think Dalai Lama is sexist either form male or female is no an issue the most important is the reincarnation will be benefits others sentient beings, in this modern age I think being attractive in a good way is not a bad thing because he or she can attract people to Dharma in amore positive way.