Author Topic: HIGHEST YOGA TANTRA INITIATIONS: sooner than later  (Read 7967 times)

psylotripitaka

HIGHEST YOGA TANTRA INITIATIONS: sooner than later
« on: June 14, 2015, 02:43:31 AM »
According to Buddhas final vehicle - Highest Yoga Tantra, the nirvana/liberation explained in Sutra is not actual liberation because emptiness is realized with a gross mind and the gross mind ceases at the time of death. The realizations of tranquil abiding and superior seeing aspects of the gross mind, even though they are powerful. Actual nirvana/liberation is a direct realization of emptiness with the very subtle mind of clear light. This is explained in various Tantras and in the commentaries and teachings of the lineage Gurus.

Therefore, Sutra practitioners must eventually enter the final vehicle to achieve actual liberation. Our fortune to be able to practice Highest Yoga Tantra is thousands of times rarer than achieving a precious human life which itself is already likened to the rarity of a piece of dry rice sticking to a wall when we've thrown a handful at it. If we constantly impute that we are not qualified and insist on following the long strict path (whose time has passed), we may miss an extremely important opportunity. Then, when we happen to eventually be a bodhisattva in a pure land, we'll remember in the distant past we had the opportunity and we'll kick ourself. It is said that bodhisattvas in pure lands other than Keajra (Kechara) pray to be reborn in the human realm with the conditions to practice Highest Yoga Tantra(hyt). If we truly appreciated how horrifying our samsara is and the real danger we're in, we would consider receiving a hyt initiation sooner than later. I know a special situation where a highly realized Yogi had a conversation with someone who was concerned about not being properly prepared to practice hyt. The Siddha explained that if one can keep the most basic commitment of reciting the 4-line prayer of 6 session Guru Yoga 6 times a day (even all 6 times in less than 2 minutes), and keep a mantra commitment (even promising to recite 1 mantra a day) for the rest of their life, they are a suitable vessel to receive the initiation. By receiving the initiation, the door is opened for them to practice more deeply in time, and that even the most concise Yidam sadhanas contain the entire lamrim practice within them. If we committed to the 3 Jewels, then receiving hyt empowerment gives us the opportunity to begin planting seeds and ripening imprints. Meanwhile, we also meditate on lamrim and lojong and perhaps work on various ngondro practices. If we were to wait to get an empowerment until we have completed ngondro, and achieved powerful realizations of lamrim, most of us would never be qualified in this lifetime. If the time for strict requirements for "qualified" disciples was not passed, Geshe Kelsang Gyatso Rinpoche and other Lamas would not be giving hyt empowerment so openly. It is not only because time is running out, but many people have powerful imprints of practicing hyt in the past that are ready to ripen. Fascination and strong interest in Tantric Yidams does not arise from nothing! It comes from our previous tendencies. So now is the time.

If you wanna discuss the traditional strict approach and the dangers of getting initiation early, I'm happy to discuss this further.

Dondrup Shugden

Re: HIGHEST YOGA TANTRA INITIATIONS: sooner than later
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 03:43:10 PM »
Although I understand what you are conveying, I have no personal preference as to whether I should be initiated in highest Yoga Tantra.  Of course it is the wish of all practitioners to receive as many powerful initiations as possible.

I have a Root Guru and trust that initiation will be granted to me as He thinks fits.

As always, thank you for your message.

psylotripitaka

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 04:42:22 PM »
Dondrup,

Your Guru devotion is wonderful. If I may say though, it is not sufficient to wait for the Guru to decide something because the situation is a dependent-relationship. Knowing that our opportunity will be finished soon, and knowing what predicament we and others are in, our fear and compassion should compel us to (have a 'preference') make offerings and insistently request the Guru for hyt initiation. If we combine our request with and explanation of why we're requesting, this creates a dependent-relationship to ripen the karma for the door of the mandala to open for us.

yontenjamyang

• Email
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 05:20:49 AM »
Dondrup,

Your Guru devotion is wonderful. If I may say though, it is not sufficient to wait for the Guru to decide something because the situation is a dependent-relationship. Knowing that our opportunity will be finished soon, and knowing what predicament we and others are in, our fear and compassion should compel us to (have a 'preference') make offerings and insistently request the Guru for hyt initiation. If we combine our request with and explanation of why we're requesting, this creates a dependent-relationship to ripen the karma for the door of the mandala to open for us.

I agree with Chokyi Dorje that we need to work on the cause for us to be initiated into the HYT. If one already have the Guru, He usually have already given one some kind of practice. Practice that well and report to the Guru always. Don't wait for the Guru to think we are ready. That is not the way. As in anything in the world, we need to go for it and not practice a waiting game and "be patiently Buddhist". That is not wise.

Having said that after having requested and either the Guru do not respond or say no, don't give up. Practice more and request again at another appropriate time. It may take up to 3 requests having done the proper preliminaries. No matter what, always have devotion to the Guru as per the 50 Stanzas of Guru Devotion.

Dondrup Shugden

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 01:35:29 PM »
Thank you both for the kind advices, yes I will definitely practise what is given to me by my Guru and then request for HYT.

Lovely that you have shared so well to encourage and empower me.

Vajra21

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 06:20:00 AM »
Thank you so much Chokyi Dorje la! I am one of those who received an initiation in HYT because the deity kept appearing in my dreams, so when the opportunity presented itself almost at my doorstep, I took it.After which I came to know that I may have  done this without the traditional preliminary preparations,though I have been practicing regularly (the short form of the practice) I sometimes wonder if I have broken some divine law as a result.So I am most relieved to read your post and to know that I have done the right thing as otherwise I know I would not have been able to receive this profound practice in this life time. :)

yontenjamyang

• Email
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 05:18:56 AM »
Thank you so much Chokyi Dorje la! I am one of those who received an initiation in HYT because the deity kept appearing in my dreams, so when the opportunity presented itself almost at my doorstep, I took it.After which I came to know that I may have  done this without the traditional preliminary preparations,though I have been practicing regularly (the short form of the practice) I sometimes wonder if I have broken some divine law as a result.So I am most relieved to read your post and to know that I have done the right thing as otherwise I know I would not have been able to receive this profound practice in this life time. :)

Good for you Vajra 21. I agree with the fact that we need to request again and again for the HYT initiation as this is the rarest of rare chance. Gurus manifest that we need to prove ourselves first but they kind and if what is said in this thread is true (and I think that is the case) then the Guru may refuse initially, but through perseverance we must request again and again. That is in a way to proof our motivation and aspirations.