Author Topic: KALI YUGA & OUR PLANET  (Read 9281 times)

psylotripitaka

KALI YUGA & OUR PLANET
« on: May 09, 2015, 04:35:12 AM »
"It's not only time, it's almost too late"
- Je Pabongkhapa Dechen Nyingpo

Dear Friends,

This thread was inspired in part by the topic "Is this a bad omen?" which regards the recent Nepal earthquake and a large crack on an important Stupa. I would be very interested to read what others have to share regarding the Kali Yuga, particularly if anyone has links to Buddhist scriptures or predictions made by Lamas regarding our planet, the duration of Buddhadharma, and similar subject matter.

The main point of this thread is to impress upon us a sense of urgency, not only with respect to deepening our meditations and preparations for our death and future lives, but that others will need our help more and more as the difficulties on our planet increase. There are many things happening globally that show a rapidly declining situation - spiritually, politically, socially, economically, environmentally, and so forth. The most important thing we can offer is the cultivation of realization without delay.

To kick things off, here is an interesting albeit dense article about viewing the history of our planet in terms of cycles rather than the limiting linear view typically explained by modern historians:

http://www.grahamhancock.com/forum/DMisraB6.php

When Buddha explains about his previous lives, do you ever wonder where and when exactly he's talking about? He refers to being such and such a prince ages ago on this planet, and the lojong instructions also speak of these things. The linear historic perspectives falls utterly short in explaining what the hell has happened on this planet. The cyclic view gives a much more realistic perspective that helps to shed light on what has happened and is happening on this planet.

Of particular interest will be his mention of 2025 and his general view on what our present environmental activity represents with regards to the cyclic (not linear) life on this planet.

For me, things like this remind me of Je Pabongkhapa's advice in Heart Spoon: Encouragement through recollecting impermanence. The point is, in particular, that by exploring this cyclic history of our planet, particularly the phase we're moving through, we are immediately seized by the realization of how precarious our circumstances are and that our opportunity to go deeply into the Dharma will soon be gone. It also urges us to prepare more vigorously for facing difficulties with realization, the meaning of life.

Please share what you know so that it may assist us in the perfection of effort. Thank you.

psylotripitaka

Re: KALI YUGA & OUR PLANET
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 04:41:01 AM »
Here is the link to the other thread: http://www.dorjeshugden.com/forum/index.php?topic=5439.0

There's only a few posts if you want to follow the progression.

psylotripitaka

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 05:04:07 AM »
Kim Hyun Jae shared this with us:

What is kali yuga or degenerate times? Extracted the meaning of this online from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kali_Yuga:

Kali Yuga, lit. "age of [the demon] Kali", or "age of vice" is the last of the four stages the world goes through as part of the cycle of yugas described in the Sanskrit scriptures, within the present Mahayuga. The other ages are called Satya Yuga, Treta Yuga, and Dvapara Yuga.

Kali Yuga is associated with the apocalyptic demon Kali (who is not to be confused with the goddess K?l?). The "Kali" of Kali Yuga means "strife", "discord", "quarrel" or "contention".

With regard to human relationships, Markandeya's discourse says:

* Avarice and wrath will be common. Humans will openly display animosity towards each other. Ignorance of dharma will occur.
* People will have thoughts of murder with no justification and will see nothing wrong in that.
* Lust will be viewed as socially acceptable and sexual intercourse will be seen as the central requirement of life.
* Sin will increase exponentially, whilst virtue will fade and cease to flourish.
* People will take vows and break them soon after.
* People will become addicted to intoxicating drinks and drugs.
* Gurus will no longer be respected and their students will attempt to injure them. Their teachings will be insulted, and followers of Kama will wrest control of the mind from all human beings.
* Brahmans will not be learned or honored, Kshatriyas will not be brave, Vaishyas will not be just in their dealings.

We can already see that all of these things are happening right now, and when you explore more thoroughly what is going on right now, a picture of rapid decline comes to the foreground. Yes there are many positive and beautiful things in this world, but the general overall global trajectory is degenerative, the dangers are mounting exponentially, the pressure is building.

An advanced Yogi I know explained that some Lamas such as Lati Rinpoche recorded a list of calamities. As some of those times came and went without incident, this Yogi asked H.E.Zong Rinpoche why nothing happened. Drubchen Zong Rinpoche replied, "Nothing happened?" then proceeded to explain which Holy Lamas passed away on or shortly before those predicted times, and that due to the amount of merit it requires to sustain the appearance of Holy Beings on this planet, sometimes these selfless people practice taking and giving on a global scale by intentionally entering Tukdam. In so doing, they remove the conditions for the calamity by giving the massive merit required to keep them appearing to our minds.

So consider this, as the number of highly realized people declines, the number of opportunities for such taking and giving becomes very small, and so, the calamities occur. I believe the Nepal earthquake is one such event, and that it heralds a shift into a new phase of the Kali Yuga, much the same as the atomic bombing of Japan and 9/11 for example ushered in new eras in global consciousness. Nepal is an international hub or spirituality, so for a vibrant symbol of virtue to be decimated like that is not an auspicious sign.

Dondrup Shugden

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 04:28:08 AM »
http://www.grahamhancock.com/forum/DMisraB6.php. 

The above article is a dry read but what stood out very clearly for me is that we are living in the last period of the Yuga cycle which consists of the following periods:

Krita Yuga: which is the pure Golden age.  During this period, it is said that there is only one religion and all men are saintly with equality among all. When all are equal, there is no negative afflictions nor emotions, but compassion and kindness.  This period was to have lasted for 4,800 years ago.

Treta Yuga: which is the Red Silver age.  During this period the virtues of Krita yuga period is lost by 25% and men start to seek the truth and practise religion so as to hold onto the virtues.  This period was to have lasted for 3,600 years.

Dwapera Yuga:  which is the Yellow or Bronze age.  Virtuousness and religiousness declined by 50%.  and the truth becomes deluded.  This period is to have lasted 2,400 years.

Kali Yuga:  which is the Black times.When it began and when it will end was not confirmed by the article but is supposed to last 1,200 years. The definition of this era is worldwide collapse of civilization and severe environmental catastrophies

The speculation from the researchers is that Kali Yuga began 3000 BC.  From simple calculation, Shakyamuni Buddha came 500years BC and as such Buddhism and the Dharma occurred during this extreme degenerate times and been around for over 2,500 years.

I have also been told that the world soul will degenerate within 5,000 of Buddhas arrival and as such we will have another 2,500 years of degeneration to go.

The question arises from my level of calculation and the so called facts from the researchers have we reached the end of Yuga cycle which is the measurement of the World Soul and its degeneration.

I like to believe that the Kali Yuga of complete destruction is held back because of the compassion of the Buddhas and as such great Buddhist Masters keep telling us life is short, we need to practise for enlightenment. THEREFORE THE URGENCY TO PRACTICE FOR ENLIGHTENMENT IS NOW.

I suppose enlightened beings will be able to be released from the sufferings of the yuga cycle.

In the same way, how enlightened beings overcomes the suffering of vicious cycle of birth, suffering and death and on and on.

In conclusion, what is happening to Nepal and the numerous disasters in the world is a what we call degenerate times. 

Once again practice Dharma and realise impermanence is of great urgency for the salvation of the World Soul.

vajrastorm

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 07:41:26 AM »
Chokyi Dorje, I agree with you that "the general overall global trajectory is degenerative, the dangers are mounting exponentially, the pressure is building".

Whether the Nepal Earthquake is a harbinger of the grave destruction that is to come, my view is what is stated repeatedly in Pabongkha's "Liberation in the Palm of Your Hand": death is inevitable but the time when it happens is uncertain. it could be even tomorrow or in our next breath. Hence we must make optimum use of our precious optimum human rebirth.

Hence, we need to heed Pabongka Rinpoche's advice(p.535) -" We are like the crippled child riding the wild ass: now is the time to work hard!" This is the story as told by Pabongka(p.737. Note no.70)  : Once a crippled child slopped and rolled down a hill, landing by fantastic coincidence on the back of a 'kiang', the Tibetan wild ass. The 'kiang'  ran away, but the crippled child hung on grimly. Everyone yelled to him to let go, but the child shouted back , " A cripple like me will get to ride a 'kiang' only once. Now is the time to 'enjoy' it!".

We are the crippled child, in our lack of dharma knowledge, realizations and wisdom. We have 'landed',by the sheer force of our merits, in a centre, with a spiritual guide; we have received Mahayana Dharma in the Lamrim. So we should work hard, gain attainments and realizations of the dharma to serve us well for our journey beyond this life and on to countless future lives - to serve us well, even if the collective end comes.

Kim Hyun Jae

• Email
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 02:21:41 PM »
Kali Yuga period is scary and since we live in this period, that should not stop us to continue making aspirations that we can be the cause for a better world ahead our future. What future? The future where our mind continuum will be reborn again.

Like what Vajrastorm said, the time is NOW for us to stop dreaming, and start NOW to learn the dharma, practice and instill wisdom and compassion and imprints in our mind for future, if we collect enough merits, to be born in a country where dharma exists, where a guru is there and dharma to practice.

It is sad when I read that the enlightened beings have to enter into early Tukdam to absorb the negativeness of the world to prevent world disasters from arising.

psylotripitaka

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 11:54:39 PM »
Thank you for the replies.

Vajrastorm, I hear you about impermanence realization, but unlike you, grasping at permanence is normal for me, so when there are big events, or someone close to me dies, it is like being shocked out of my stupor, and for a time the realization of impermanence is quite fresh. Then, my mind goes stale again and start thinking samsara is a pleasure garden.

Because Nepal is not outside our mind, and the spirituality that vibrates there is a precious symbol inside the collective consciousness of this planet, it's destruction is very symbolic of a major downslide.

Dondrup Shugden, the article actually states the ascending Kali Yuga cycle will come to an end in 2025 followed by major cataclysms, and that the present increase in more violent weather and disasters is indicative of things to come in the very near future. The 2012 thing was misunderstood in our society to mean the Mayans predicting the end of the world. That was the end of a cycle, and if you check you see that there has been a significant increase in strange weather and violent disasters. Similarly, we also see a significant increase in resource depletion, contamination of the environment, corruption and increased tensions with global and local governments, etc etc.

Knowledge of these world cycles, and the end of the ascending Kali Yuga being 2025, are an inspiration, and a warning.

Dondrup Shugden

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 09:30:11 AM »
Thank you, Chokyi Dorje for pointing the my misunderstanding of the time 2025. 

On reading the comments on this article, it really does not matter the periods nor the times or even the dates.  The important thing to know, is that death is inevitable and unpredictable, so do not waste this life but to practice and aspire for enlightenment.

Otherwise even reborn in the human realm, there is no escape from this era and the catastrophes.

yontenjamyang

• Email
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2015, 11:01:39 AM »
Pabongka Rinpoche in the "Liberation in the Palm of your hand" Lamrim discourse never mentioned any kind of "Yuga Cycle" or planet alignments but focus on the impermanence of phenomena, particularly of our fortunate rebirth. This the most practical approach to our practice or not practice. This means what is the most important is that we use our fortunate rebirth to practice that Dharma to at least gain one of the 3 scopes of the Lamrim.

For me, what happened in Nepal may or may not be an indication of the end of times but personally it is impractical. Nevertheless we can regard what appears to be the degenerating world to be an impetus to our practice as the sufferings of samsara is more apparent. However, just by seeing the coming and going or people in the streets we can see clearly the sufferings of samsara already in my humble opinion.

Dondrup Shugden

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015, 06:56:59 AM »
Dear yontenjamyang, that is how I feel but with great sympathy to what has happened to Nepal.  It is not about what is being indicated or perceived but the very sadness and sufferings that had been induced by the earthquake on a nation which is ancient with many sacred places and so many poor souls who send their youth overseas to work under strict conditions.

I just read that some of the Nepalese are not even permitted to return home to grieve nor to help their families.  For that it is very saddening.

psylotripitaka

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2015, 08:23:42 PM »
My thanks to you all for all the wonderful Dharma advice. Very meaningful conclusions.