Author Topic: Most Futuristic Cemetery in the World  (Read 7582 times)

icy

Most Futuristic Cemetery in the World
« on: April 07, 2015, 01:26:45 PM »
This Is Probably The Most High-Tech Cemetery In the World

The Ruriden columbarium, operated by the Koukokuji Buddhist Temple in Tokyo, is as futuristic as the capital of Japan itself. Believe it or not, this is a cemetery.

The Ruriden is home to 2,046 small alters, with glass Buddha statues that correspond to drawers storing the ashes of the deceased. People can visit their beloved lost ones with the help of a smart card which grants access to the building and lights up their corresponding statue.

The Ruriden took two years to build and the ashes are stored for 33 years before being buried below the Ruriden. Currently 600 alters are in use—and another 300 are reserved.

http://gizmodo.com/this-is-probably-the-most-high-tech-cemetery-in-the-wor-1696153589?

Dondrup Shugden

Re: Most Futuristic Cemetery in the World
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 08:31:20 AM »
Thank you Icy, this is really a very nice columbarium.  So calm and serene.  An real eye opener.

pgdharma

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 01:30:26 PM »
This is the first time I have seen such a nice and modern columbarium. Thank you, Icy, for sharing.

kelly

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 03:57:26 AM »
Wow! Nice never see such a high tec cemetery, thank you for sharing.

Q

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 09:35:48 PM »
This is very nice... but honestly speaking, I do not understand why people would put so much effort into where their urns will be kept after they have passed away.

fruven

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 11:40:01 PM »
It is very modern but I feel it is too electric. The dark background feels gloomy to me.

eyesoftara

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 09:15:07 AM »
It is very modern but I feel it is too electric. The dark background feels gloomy to me.

I think this opens up many options. This is just one of the possibilities. My vision is that one day our ashes can be returned to the stars from which a supernova is from. All material and elements heavier than hydrogen and helium  basically comes from a supernova explosion.

That would be the ultimate of "returning home".

Anyhow, this is just for the fun of it. In Buddhism we focus on the mind and our body and ashes are just "Earth" or the physical vehicle of a life.

angelica

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 03:26:17 PM »
Why they need such a high tech cemetery? By placing the urns in such a place, will it help the deceased for a swift and good rebirth or achieve enlightenment?

I think what is important is for us to do our practice till we achieve enlightenment. To practice while we still have our healthy human body.

cookie

• Email
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2015, 09:13:51 AM »
Seems so strange to have so much pomp to store ashes of deceased. Just seems like extending one's attachment to reputation, status and luxury, even after death. What is more important is a good rebirth after death, which can only be secured when alive; when methods taught by the Buddha is adhered to successfully.

fruven

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2015, 08:05:37 PM »

I think this opens up many options. This is just one of the possibilities. My vision is that one day our ashes can be returned to the stars from which a supernova is from. All material and elements heavier than hydrogen and helium  basically comes from a supernova explosion.

That would be the ultimate of "returning home".

Anyhow, this is just for the fun of it. In Buddhism we focus on the mind and our body and ashes are just "Earth" or the physical vehicle of a life.

true, it is up to the individual as each person could have different preferences.

Seems so strange to have so much pomp to store ashes of deceased. Just seems like extending one's attachment to reputation, status and luxury, even after death. What is more important is a good rebirth after death, which can only be secured when alive; when methods taught by the Buddha is adhered to successfully.

Why they need such a high tech cemetery? By placing the urns in such a place, will it help the deceased for a swift and good rebirth or achieve enlightenment?

I think what is important is for us to do our practice till we achieve enlightenment. To practice while we still have our healthy human body.

The fact that the people are still honouring the deceased is still praise worthy though.