Author Topic: Cash-Rich Vatican to Launch Hostile Takeover Bid for Buddhism?  (Read 3952 times)

icy

Cash-Rich Vatican to Launch Hostile Takeover Bid for Buddhism?
« on: December 20, 2014, 10:14:30 AM »
Can some one explain how this is possible?

Friday 5 December 2014 by Neil Tollfree

The Vatican has announced that it is considerably richer than it previously thought after discovering several million euros ‘tucked away off the balance sheet’.

It claims that the newly discovered funds will be used to extend its portfolio of religion by acquiring Buddhism.

“Well, we’ve had our eye on a number of other religions for a while now,” said Cardinal George Pell, who heads the Vatican’s Secretariat for the Economy.

“Sikhism, and Hinduism were considered. The Jehovah’s Witnesses were deemed too mental, even for us.”

“In the end we settled on Buddhism.”

It is thought to be the first time a major religion has acquired another since Christianity’s disastrous attempt to take over Islam during the crusades.

“It’s a terrific little religion, a good solid pedigree of several centuries experience, and some lovely temples.”

Catholics around the world were broadly welcoming of the plan.

“Yeah, sounds alright,” said Simon Williams.

“I mean, it’s a lot of sitting about and chanting and that isn’t it? I don’t mind a bit of a chant.”

“As long as I can still harbour an irrational hatred for homosexuals and birth control, I’m okay with it.”

It was put to Cardinal Pell that perhaps a better use of the previously unaccounted millions might be to give it to the poor.

However, he was left too convulsed with laughter to give a coherent response.

http://newsthump.com/2014/12/05/cash-rich-vatican-to-launch-hostile-takeover-bid-for-buddhism/?

eyesoftara

Re: Cash-Rich Vatican to Launch Hostile Takeover Bid for Buddhism?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 10:06:55 AM »
This is a joke and I think should remain that. Seriously it is not possible for one religion to take over another in this age where war is no more the practical way for evangelism and force conversion. This is the age of materialism and strangely the new spiritual age where more esoteric religion like Buddhism thrive. That is why Buddhism seems to be the fastest growing religion in the world.

angelica

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 03:33:04 PM »
Eyesoftara, you are right, this is a joke. Vatican want to buy Buddhism from who? Dalai Lama?

Employees are the asset of the company, when company A acquire company B, employees of company B will come together with the package. Employees have to follow instruction and culture of the new company, cos new boss is paying their salary.

But in religion, this is not the same. The practice we choose is something we believe in and follow willingly. Even Vatican can pay money to acquire it, will the practitioners follow?

MoMo

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2014, 10:30:41 AM »
To my humble opinion, this acquiring plan is real and very real indeed. Just week ago I accidentally  purchased a book for the price close to dirt , titled “ Peoples of the Buddhist world” by Paul Hattaway at local books sales. Thinking that it was about general Buddhism in places around the world for casual reading.
The content turned out to be detailed information mapped out about the culture background of Buddhist around the world, their numbers and their economic status.by priest of Christian missionary for future missionaries groups planning to disseminate Christianity in these area.

With the extra cash in hand, troupes of missionaries will be sent to all these targeted places to covert the poor local peasants by helping them with materials aids, building basic infrastructures, setting up schools for their children’s education and etc .

When all these happened, the local Buddhist temples will be emptied of it followers, leaving the lone monk with his “ suffering and its causes…” hence, the success of acquiring by Vertican!  Therefore as a Buddhist from relatively rich country we should always have constant awareness of extending monetary aids and support to Buddhist groups that actively operate in the remote area around the world.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6544203-peoples-of-the-buddhist-world

kris

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 11:02:53 AM »
@MoMo, the news is indeed intended to be a joke, however, what you said is quite real as well. There are indeed many books published by Christian missionaries about Buddhism with the main purpose of converting them to Christianity. I have read some of these books myself. Most of the books will point out the "faults" of Buddhism, and made comparison and put down Buddhism. So Christians (some of them whom I know) use it as a tool to "debate" with Buddhists and will try to win them over.

While it is not the teaching of Buddha to convert others, it is perfectly acceptable to convert people into Christianity. That also explains why Christian is the religion with the biggest population.

There is no right or wrong, just different approach. Personally I would prefer the "accept others and live harmonious" kinda concept.