Author Topic: HH the Dalai Lama hints he could be the last – and Beijing isn't having it  (Read 3195 times)

Ringo Starr

• Email

yontenjamyang

• Email
I strongly believe that technically the present Dalai Lama has the "final" say in this issue. if he officially says there will be no further Dalai Lama, then it should be final and any Dalai Lama chosen by whoever and by whatever means would not be recognize by Tibetan Buddhism.
However, there can be exceptions. If the Dalai Lama do not officially announce his decision, then one can always argue that the Dalai Lama did not actually say it and proceed to chose a new Dalai Lama. Then is the Lamas in India does the same, then chaos will ensue.
Also, even if the Dalai Lama announce officially his decision that this will be the last incarnation, still there can be some way for any party, after the Dalai Lama's passing, announce a certain high lama has a dream or was told by the Dalai Lama to chose a new Dalai Lama.
From these scenarios, it seem to me that the only way to avoid chaos is that the Dalai Lama announce, he will incarnate in Tibet and let the Chinese choose the new incarnation and instruct the exiled Lamas to accept this. This is the only logical way to avoid chaos. Strange scenario but true.

What do everyone think?

MoMo

I strongly believe that technically the present Dalai Lama has the "final" say in this issue. if he officially says there will be no further Dalai Lama, then it should be final and any Dalai Lama chosen by whoever and by whatever means would not be recognize by Tibetan Buddhism.

What do everyone think?

The title “Dalai Lama” was conferred to Sonam Gyatso by Mongolian King Altan Khan in 1578. Since it is only a title, if the current Dalai Lama Tenzin Gyatso announced that his mental continuum will not takes another reincarnation there will be many others more than willing to take up the title and even more people will support and follow the new “Dalai Lama”.

On the basis that not all Lama who passed away immediately reincarnate back the following year but will wait for the right conditions to arise for their reincarnation to come back to fulfill their promise.
The Chinese government could have some high Lamas in China/Tibet to announce years later when the issue had been cooled down, that it is time now for the Dalai Lama to come back to resume his role and his reincarnation happen to be reborn in Chinese rules territory!
It seems to me that the Dalai Lama is fighting a losing war either reincarnates or not!