Author Topic: The Dalai Lama Will Not Return to Lead Tibet  (Read 9790 times)

Dondrup Shugden

Re: The Dalai Lama Will Not Return to Lead Tibet
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2015, 08:43:43 AM »
Reading this what comes to my mind is the controversy of the Karmapa.  There are 2 recognised Karmapas, one by the Dalai Lama and the other by the late Sharmapa.  Who then is real? 

Logically the choice of Sharmapa, who by traditional seeks and finds the incarnate Karmapa, is the real one.  And the one chosen by or endorsed by the Dalai Lama is questionable?

Is this same story to be replayed of the Karmapa, Panchen Lama to be for the 15th Dalai Lama.

DharmaSpace

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2015, 01:42:06 PM »
I agree with bonfire's stance that the institution of the Dalai Lama that wielded political power could be at its end. It was out of necessity that the Dalai Lama assumed the head of the spiritual and political head of the Tibet.

Had the 5th Dalai Lama been worldly ruler or conqueror, he would have purged all the other Tibetan Sects that had lost the conflict, but he did not go that far being a spiritual leader. The war that erupted during the Great 5th's time was threatening the survival of the Gelug order and that had to be answered. Then Je tsongkhapa's tradition was still confined to a geographical location within tibet and surrounding nations, if Lama tsongkhapa's tradition was snuffed out in Tibet, where else could Je Tsongkhapa's tradition take root until the modern times? Unlike today Je Tsongkhapa's tradition could be found across the globe in this day and age.

Mahasattvas have full control of where they go and I think the Dalai Lama even though he gives up the mantle of being the protector of Tibet, will go where he can go where he can do even much more benefit.

fruven

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2015, 12:58:35 AM »
China would think otherwise. They have made 'plans' that the next Dalai Lama will be coming from China. Tibet is already part of China. The next Dalai Lama could come from the Tibet. It wouldn't surprise me if it such is the case.

gbds3jewels

• Email
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2016, 02:59:40 AM »
It is always easier to criticize and give opinions when it cost us nothing than just opening our mouths or type on a keyboard. Mother Teresa, Dalai Lama, Martin Luther, Gandhi, any great leaders of the world received numerous criticisms one way or another.

Abraham Lincoln supposedly quoted "You can please some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time."

What the 14th Dalai Lama has done in handling the invasion of Tibet by the Chinese, in leading the exile of Tibetans, in rebuilding the Tibetans monasteries in India, in bringing Tibetan Buddhism to its popularity in the West and rest of the world, these are incomparable and more than any Tibetan or single monk has done.

The incarnations of high lama have always been about what work they can carry out to benefit sentient beings. If returning to lead Tibet is no longer deem beneficial then it should be no surprise that the incarnation line will stop. One of the most basic teachings of Buddhism is impermanence, as such incarnation lineage is no exception. I believe no matter who and where the Dalai Lama chooses to incarnate in his next life, it will be to benefit countless sentient beings just as all his past lives have done.