Author Topic: Dalai Lama Recognizes the Bön  (Read 10742 times)

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
Re: Dalai Lama Recognizes the Bön
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2014, 04:15:21 AM »
Yes i often think of the Emperor who has no clothes  :D. With regard to the Dalai Lama, i know that there are many people who have different views of the Dalai Lama on this forum alone. Personally, i deal with the conundrum this way: if he is not enlightened, he will be subject to karma, and the karma of schism is one of the heinous crimes so he will pay for his actions on banning Dorje Shugden. In that sense, none of us need to condemn the Dalai Lama, but instead have compassion for him because he will suffer greatly the karma of insulting a Buddha, dividing the sangha, endorsing violence, lying, creating so much suffering.

Regardless of karma however, we cannot simply let evil be perpetrated, so we need to work hard to bring down this ridiculous ban and restore balance in this world.
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

kelly

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2014, 08:41:05 AM »
I think is very unfair for DS practitioner and all the Tibetan who are devoted to this practice . I personally do not know much about this Bon religion but wherever is this I think Dalai Lama should not ban the DS practices and condemn the pure practice .
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 12:13:02 PM by vajratruth »

MoMo

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2014, 02:45:44 PM »
This is clearly a politically motivated move; traditionally Bon had been classified as Shamanism practice by Tibetan Buddhist scholar. Why does DL need to seek friendly diplomatic relationship with the Bonpo, Nyingmapa, Kagyupa and Shakya?
DL had been 79 years old by age, as we know, there are no influential scholars from his institution for him to pass the baton down to. In political front with China after his passing, if there is one reincarnation being recognized by his institution, China could retaliate by having another one or more!
Domestically within the Tibetan Buddhism sects(the nangpa) , the rift between Gelugpa and the other three sects and been long on going especially with the Kagyupa during the reign of the Great Fifth, which resulted 7000 monks, abbot and scholars of the Kaygu linage being prosecuted except the Karmapa and his attendant. Leading to the Karmapa went into exile for the next 30 years.
Within Gelug institution, His series of political moves recently in allying and reconciling with the Shakya,Nyingma and Kagyu in major events and now bringing in the Bon into the “nangpa”(the insider) was just to alienate what deem as a threat to his reign of power, the Shugden practitioner and their linage masters!
Since the Fifth DL, this had been the practice to seize absolute power from within the Gelug institution by appointing who should be Gaden Tripa and his regent Sonam Choephel was assign to take charge of secular affair.
 The current DL appointment of CTA on secular affair while he acts as spiritual leader is similar to that of the Fifth era. This causes so much of disharmonies among the Tibetans, to the extent of waging war against each other.
“Before that the Dalai Lama were spiritual lineage tulkus of the Lama Tsongkhapa's direct disciple, Gendun Drup. But since he is the one who appoints the Ganden Tripa ie the seat of Lama Tsongkhapa doesn't that make the Dalai Lama "higher" than the Ganden Tripa?”
To my opinion, this was akin to as saying who and how Je Tsongkapha should be and DL had even putting his hand into the process of recognizing candidates of reincarnation of Karmapa!
Before more damages being allowed to continue, it is the urgency that we Shugden practitioners stay united to lift the ban immediately to restore harmony within Vajrayana Buddhism so that each can practice their respective linage doctrines freely.

RedLantern

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2014, 04:21:18 PM »

H.H.Dalai Lama's action is truly puzzling! As a Buddhist we are to only take refuge to Enlightened Beings but this practice of Bon which is recognized by H.H. Bon is a shamanic indigenious  practice.
The pure practice of Buddha Dorje Shugden,who is the emanation of Buddha Manjushri was banned and it's practitioners were discriminate, how sad!This truly shows the degeneration period of Tibetan Buddhism.

fruven

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2014, 12:23:56 AM »
This is really going out of hand. Why would the Bön need to be recognised as part of Buddhism? Is it to gain more acceptance and followers? The Tibetan Buddhism today is still carrying the lineages from Buddha Shakyamuni, unbroken. Even Pabongka Rinpoche has stated that the Bön religion should be taken as refuge.

Blueupali

• Email
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2014, 03:00:27 AM »
Fruven,
  It is recognized because the Dalai is a politician, not someone's example we should be following.  He wants to get publicity doing things that don't really matter to his small personal power sphere--- which is his (ex) Gelugpa lineage and also anyone else Tibetan--- he doesn't CARE if people worship spirits-- he worships spirits--- he just wanted to schism the Gelugpa and make less powerful people like his teachers--- Trijang Rinpoche in the former and current incarnations... in the Kagyu he did NOT want to deal with someone he perceives as a rival from a past life--- the 16th Karmapa, so he pretends the real 17th one doesn't exist, and this fake China Karmapa is fine--- he doesn't CARE about Buddhism.   He only cares about his own power base--- he doesn't care what happens to people's religion--- I think he is confused because as a child he was this like unenlightened little boy and they told him he knows everything and everything he does is compassionate.... ???

Ringo Starr

• Email
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2014, 07:38:47 AM »
--- he doesn't CARE if people worship spirits-- he worships spirits--- he just wanted to schism the Gelugpa and make less powerful people like his teachers--- Trijang Rinpoche in the former and current incarnations...

Blueupali,

Here you go:

http://www.dorjeshugden.com/all-articles/features/nechung-the-state-oracle-of-tibet/

"It is very interesting His Holiness the Dalai Lama a monk, scholar, erudite master and a very down to earth and logical person also consults ancient oracles for his decision making.

The first deity he consults through the oracle is Nechung, who is known to be an unenlightened being. This is very fascinating also."

Gabby Potter

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2015, 08:09:47 AM »
There must be a reason why His Holiness allows and recognises other spirit worships but only disallows Dorje Shugden's practise. I would actually take it as His Holiness and Dorje Shugden are actually working together to protect and spread the Buddha Dharma, there's no harm in believing this anyway.

eyesoftara

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2015, 09:07:54 AM »
There must be a reason why His Holiness allows and recognises other spirit worships but only disallows Dorje Shugden's practise. I would actually take it as His Holiness and Dorje Shugden are actually working together to protect and spread the Buddha Dharma, there's no harm in believing this anyway.

Yes of course there is certainly no harm in believing this. But there are others like Ringo Starr above who saw that the Dalai Lama is just doing it to dilute the power of his Guru i.e. Trijang Rinpoche. Still there are other views that the other schools, especially the Nyingmas are behind the decision of the Dalai Lama for the ban. Who knows. The Dalai Lama is silence on these and insist the reason is that Dorje Shugden in a spirit, which is illogical as many articles and topics in the site has logically presented.

So we are left with 2 other options. Either the Dalai Lama is not the true Dalai Lama i.e. Avalokitesvhara or He is lying for a higher reasons. The former can be negated as no Lamas has ever said that. So the only choice left is that the Dalai Lama is lying for a greater cause. So we are left to play the Dalai Lama's game of samsara and Nirvana (by other Lamas) and pane out the karma of the beings of this age.

fruven

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2015, 05:25:09 PM »
If you're already practicing Bon I don't think you need HH Dalai Lama's further approval, unless you want Bon to become popular because a name was associated with it.

What does the approval do? To get people who are not practicing to practice Bon? It doesn't make sense from the common Buddhist point of view.