Author Topic: Ashoka Mukpo infected with Ebola in Liberia  (Read 5712 times)

TARA

Ashoka Mukpo infected with Ebola in Liberia
« on: October 04, 2014, 09:16:23 AM »

American NBC cameraman with Ebola is 'reincarnation of Tibetan teacher' whose English aristocrat mother married Buddhist guru when aged 16
NBC cameraman Ashoka Mukpo, 33, has been infected with Ebola in Liberia
He is the son of Buddhist monk Chögyam Trungpa Rinpoche and Lady Diana Judith Mukpo
However, his biological father is Dr. Mitchell Levy, whom Lady Diana had been sleeping with at the time
Ashoka's mother married the Tibetan Buddhist lama when she was just 16
Trungpa identified Ashoka as a 'tulku', a reincarnation of a Tibetan teacher
NBC's Dr Nancy Snyderman and her crew have quarantined themselves for 21 days over fears they they might have contracted Ebola, as well
Ashoka will be flown to a special CDC facility in Nebraska on Monday

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2779257/NBC-cameraman-Ebola-reincarnation-Tibetan-teacher-mother-married-Buddhist-guru-16.html#ixzz3FAEgrDex
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Klein

Re: Ashoka Mukpo infected with Ebola in Liberia
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 04:47:45 AM »
I don't think it is an accident that Ashoka Mukpo contracted ebola. Let's see what Ashoka Mukpo does with the illness. A tulku has a compassionate state of mind. Whatever they do is for the benefit of others.

Good news is 2 persons are cured from ebola in Europe. Click here to read more.

http://news.yahoo.com/french-nurse-cured-ebola-contracted-liberia-001646108.html 

dondrup

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 08:18:06 AM »
Ashoka Mukpo has reincarnated and been recognized as a tulku in this life.  He still has the interests of others in his heart even though he has no intentions to be a Dharma teacher and a monk.  Ashoka Mukpo had said in the 2009 documentary Tulku, 'I still think I can be of some kind of benefit to somebody. And that's what being a Buddhist, I think, is about.'  I believe in time, the seed of bodhchitta in him will ripen and Ashoka Mukpo will continue the enlightened deeds of his past incarnation i.e. Khamnyon Rinpoche, the 'Mad Yogi of Kham' to benefit many more sentient beings.  May Ashoka Mukpo recover swiftly from the Ebola infection.

angelica

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 04:40:25 PM »
When Mukpo was  months old, he was recognized by another Buddhist lama as the ninth Khamnyon Rinpoche, a spiritual leader, a role he chose not to pursue. But he still do a lot of work that benefit others such as work for the nonprofit Human Rights Watch for three years and join a nonprofit working on land rights in Liberia. May Mukpo recover swiftly and continue to benefit more people in his own way.

Tenzin Malgyur

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 08:32:05 AM »
I like the attitude of Ashoka Mukpo. Even though he was born to a renowned family, he did not spend his life despondently. Of course, being recognized as a tulku at birth, he would be of great benefit to all if he were to trained as a Dharma teacher or to become a monk. Nevertheless, he still chose to bring benefit to people by doing nonprofit works to bring relief to others. Hence the reason that brought him to Liberia, where he contracted the Ebola virus.
I pray that Ashoka Mukpo would be strong to recover from this deadly sickness that have claimed the lives of so many.

bambi

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 03:08:56 PM »
Well, looks like Ashoka Mukpo is in his way to recovery in the latest news! How wonderful! Wishing you a speedy recovery and continuing your journey to give back to others like what you wanted.

Ashoka, like his brother, Gesar, leads a secular life, working in the U.S. division of Human Rights Watch. Although he has not adopted the life of a Buddhist tulku, he has a thangka wall-hanging portrait of his previous incarnation, Khamyon Rinpoche, in his apartment. Ashoka was enthroned as a tulku in Tibet, and found the experience, as well as the expectations of others, very intense and at times uncomfortable. He feels his path is not to be a teacher, wearing monk's robes, but rather to help others and give back in ways appropriate to his location and culture.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ebola-virus-outbreak/ebola-stricken-nbc-news-freelancer-ashoka-mukpo-tweets-his-thanks-n225161

MoMo

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 06:20:31 AM »
When the name Ashoka Mukpo as mentioned it was immediately link to Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche, one of the very first Tibetan Lama who brings “esoteric” Tantric Buddhism to the west during the 60’s. Chogyam Trungpa ways of disseminate the teaching earned him great deal of controversy issues which still of a much talk about even until today.
Only those who had keen eyes and benefited from Chogyam Trungpa works will truly know as how a true teacher wouldn’t hesitate to change and adapt to the time and conditions in order to attract students to stay close to him to learn Dharma.
As for why most of the western reincarnate Tulku didn’t take up the role of teaching from the throne the orthodox way IMHO was that due to the conditions in the west now didn’t warrant for them to do so and could be counterproductive. 

angelica

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 03:31:55 PM »
Latest update on Ashoka Mukpo - he was declared Ebola Free and discharged from Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha, Nebraska. May he be fully recover as soon as possible and benefits those that need him.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ebola-virus-outbreak/exclusive-ebola-survivor-ashoka-mukpo-speaks-nbc-news-n231686

rossoneri

• Email
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 07:56:30 AM »
Good to know that Ashoka Mukpo is clear of this deadly virus and being a 'tulku' although he do not learn and teach the Dharma but yet is participating with all the charity work and helping people in his own way. I wish him well and who knows one day he might pick up a Dharma book and start teaching again.