Author Topic: Dorje Shugden fire pujas?  (Read 4594 times)

Ganden_follower

Dorje Shugden fire pujas?
« on: September 28, 2014, 06:20:17 AM »
Hello,

Does anyone know if fire puja sadhanas for pacifying/increasing/controlling/wrathful actions exist for Dorje Shugden? I am assuming so since I have seen pictures of some Dorje Shugden fire pujas. I am guessing if they do exist it was something composed by Je Phabongkhapa or Dagpo Rinpoche and done in conjunction with some extensive retreat practice.

If anyone has any info let me know, I am curious :)

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
Re: Dorje Shugden fire pujas?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 12:50:42 PM »
Yes, there are fire pujas for all 4 activities- peaceful, increasing, controlling and wrathful.
I have two different texts on Dorje Shugden fire pujas: One for the first three types of fire pujas and one specifically for wrathful fire pujas. Both texts were written by Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche.

Ganden_follower

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 03:37:36 PM »
Excellent... if you get a spare moment, would you be able to list the titles of these texts? Would they be found in Trijang Rinpoche's sumbum?

psylotripitaka

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 04:51:56 PM »
Dear Losang Tenpa,

Are these available in English yet?

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 01:45:40 AM »
The names of the two texts are:

"The Playground that Shines with the Light of a Thousand Lamps of Attainments," being a Recitation Text of Instructions for the Performance of Three Different Kinds of Fire Offerings in the Practice of the Dorje Shugden.

"The String of Lightning Flame," being a Ceremony for Performing a Wrathful Fire Offering for the Protector, Dorje Shugden.

These texts are in Tibetan and have not been translated into English as far as I know.

Ganden_follower

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 01:53:37 AM »
Thank you so much, Losang Tenpa!  :D This is very helpful.

yontenjamyang

• Email
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 08:20:44 AM »
The names of the two texts are:

"The Playground that Shines with the Light of a Thousand Lamps of Attainments," being a Recitation Text of Instructions for the Performance of Three Different Kinds of Fire Offerings in the Practice of the Dorje Shugden.

"The String of Lightning Flame," being a Ceremony for Performing a Wrathful Fire Offering for the Protector, Dorje Shugden.

These texts are in Tibetan and have not been translated into English as far as I know.

Thank You Losang Tenpa for the information. I have heard from people who attended such fire pujas in the distance past and hence I can verify its existence. These pujas are done by highly qualify monks who naturally have received the Protector Sogtae. However, I am not sure about other qualifications needed. A lot of offerings were made I was told and even the ashes from the offering burn during the puja are holy and are collected as holy items that can bless others and as protection.
I rejoice that the fire pujas exist and will continue to be practice to benefit others.

psylotripitaka

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 10:13:00 AM »
Yonten Jamyang,

We need to get rid of this idea that only 'highly qualified monks can perform such offerings'. Any practitioner whether lay or ordained, male or female, who gathers the appropriate conditions can perform fire pujas. Perhaps the way you wrote that did not have the meaning I interpret, but there is definitely a cultural holier-than-thou perception passed around that is not in touch with the reality of the situation, which is that you do not have to be ordained with a high rank or tons of traditional ritual knowledge to be a qualified practitioner who has accessed the lineage blessings.

From what I've read, in order to perform the burning offerings of Dorje Shugden, it is usually required that the practitioner receive life entrustment, Vajrabhairava initiation, and complete a Vajrabhairava close retreat including the subsequent fire puja. I can't remember if it was also required to complete a Migtsema close retreat and a Dorje Shugden close retreat as well, but hey, I'm sure you couldn't go wrong adding those to the list. Though these requirements were mentioned in the transcript I read, it is probably best to ask our Lama what is required, then make offerings and request instruction and to receive blessing that we may gather the conditions to complete these things, so that we may destroy samsara at the root.

DharmaSpace

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 05:59:17 PM »
@psylotripitaka yes more and more practitioners be qualified to do fire pujas for everyone's benefit. No matter what race, nationality or spiritual background. This can only be a good thing.