Author Topic: Focus on oneness, not differences: Dalai Lama  (Read 8443 times)

DharmaSpace

Focus on oneness, not differences: Dalai Lama
« on: September 26, 2014, 06:56:25 PM »
Tibetan spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama, on Wednesday called upon people to focus on oneness of humanity as against the differences in society.

“We should focus on the equivalence of one another rather than highlight the differences,” said the spiritual leader while beginning his three-day teaching on 'Shantideva's guide to     Bodhisattva's Way of Life' at Tsuglakhang temple near his abode at McLeodganj.

The teaching, organised at the request of a group of devotees from south-east Asia, is being attended by around 5000 devotees from 62 countries.

The Dalai said that person could not survive solely on his own and the economy of the whole world is also inter-connected.

“We are dependent on each other for our survival. Even for our daily livelihoods, we are dependent on others. However strong, intelligent or wealthy a person is, it is not possible to survive solely on his own,” he said. 

“When one country is in crisis, the effects of that crisis can be felt in other places as well. Therefore, we should think of the world as one and move forward together,” he added.

Speaking on the disastrous impacts of environmental degradation, the Dalai Lama said that the world is facing serious implications of natural disasters due to global warming.

“The destructions caused by natural calamities are being faced by the whole world. Nature doesn't divide us on the lines of religion or whether we are believers or non-believers. Therefore, we should think of each other and be unified in our approach,” said the Noble peace laureate. 
The teaching will conclude on September 26.

NOBEL PEACE SUMMIT

Meanwhile, four Nobel peace prize laureates have announced to boycott the 14th Nobel Peace Summit scheduled to be held in Cape Town, South Africa, in support of the Dalai Lama. The South African Government had denied Visa to the Dalai Lama, who was to attend the summit. 

Tibetan National Congress (TNC), which ran an online campaign urging Nobel laureates to boycott the summit, in a statement here said that Nobel peace prize laureates Jody Williams, Shirin Ebadi, Leymah Gbowee and a representative of the peace prize winner organisation 'International Campaign to Ban Landmines' announced that they will boycott the summit.

The TNC has sent over 6,000 signatures to Nobel laureates, urging them to boycott the Nobel Peace Summit unless the Dalai Lama is allowed a visa to attend it.

If the dalai lama were to apply the 'Onenes' philosophy then we will have peace and unity amongst the Tibetans. And unity can only be beneficial for the Tibetan causes. So why won't the Dalai Lama lift the ban to Dorje Shugden and see no difference between practitioners of Dorje Shugden and the non practitioners?

kris

Re: Focus on oneness, not differences: Dalai Lama
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 07:03:03 AM »
Every now and then, HH Dalai Lama will talk about some ideas and concepts which really puzzle me, when putting them into the context of Dorje Shugden. He openly talks about compassion and peace, then CTA and his students show violence; He openly talks about freedom to practice, yet suppress practice of Dorje Shugden; He openly promotes dialogue between faith, yet denied any form of dialogue with Dorje Shugden practitioners.

Now he talks about oneness and unity, but CTA is discriminating people based on Dorje Shugden practice. Is HH Dalai Lama adding salt to the wound?

In any case, I do pray that Tibetan can unite as one and government should stop separating people based on faith.

Andrea Keating

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 07:18:18 AM »
Thank you for sharing your view Kris! Can't agree with you more!

grandmapele

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 04:19:47 AM »
Kris, you are not the only one confused by the Dalai Lama. Every time I turn around the Dalai Lama is contradicting himself. From a secular point of view his call for peace without boundaries does not sit well with the ban on Dorje Shugden practice.
From a spiritual sense, too it does not make sense to me as he is teaching compassion and non-dual nature and absolute truth and talking of inter-dependence of the various people of this world. With the ban in place, how is any of that possible? Oh dear, I am ever so confused.

Blueupali

• Email
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 04:38:08 AM »
Guys, sorry, but this is really not that confusing at this point.
  Okay.  Let me break this down:
 1. The Dalai Lama is a liar.
 2. Liars lie.
 3. Therefore the Dalai Lama lies, you see.  Nothing new about that:
a. Pretends to be peaceful-- but accepts CIA guns and has a little guerilla army against China
b. Pretends to be the Buddha of Compassion--- is really completely demonstrating no compassion toward DS practitioners, Kagyupas (he picked this like communist boy to be Karmapa, even though the legit Karmapa is NEVER chosen by Dalai Lamas but rather by Kagyu lineage head--- who disagreed with the DLs interference
  Okay, so that is it the basic stuff.  Now why is anyone confused?  The man (yes man, not Buddha people, is a liar).  The U.S. government used him in their propaganda war on Chinese communism.... I argue that this was unnecessary as Chinese communism already demonstrates its own propaganda against itself--- like doesn't let Hong Kong have a say in nominations--- doesn't like people protesting, you know, pretty much the oppressive stuff we find among the imperialists and communists both....

Dondrup Shugden

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 02:13:45 PM »
"1. 'The Dalai Lama is a liar.
 2. Liars lie.
 3. Therefore the Dalai Lama lies, you see.  Nothing new about that:
a. Pretends to be peaceful-- but accepts CIA guns and has a little guerilla army against China
b. Pretends to be the Buddha of Compassion--- is really completely demonstrating no compassion toward DS practitioners, Kagyupas (he picked this like communist boy to be Karmapa, even though the legit Karmapa is NEVER chosen by Dalai Lamas but rather by Kagyu lineage head--- who disagreed with the DLs interference
  Okay, so that is it the basic stuff.  Now why is anyone confused?  The man (yes man, not Buddha people, is a liar).  The U.S. government used him in their propaganda war on Chinese communism.... I argue that this was unnecessary as Chinese communism already demonstrates its own propaganda against itself--- like doesn't let Hong Kong have a say in nominations--- doesn't like people protesting, you know, pretty much the oppressive stuff we find among the imperialists and communists both...." quote from Blueupali.

Impermanence is what we Buddhist are taught and if practised well will stablise our mind and decrease craving, attachments and remove much of the 3 poisons.

Maybe lying is a form of impermanence?  I do not mean it to be funny but really, I do not get it.  The nice things that Dalai Lama says does not match the way things have resulted and done by Him and in His name.

prodorjeshugden

• Email
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 02:25:00 PM »
What the Dalai has taught is highly contrary to what he is encouraging now.
The Dalai lama told us to focus on oneness not differences, yet he is clearly emphasizing that we should focus on differences, but actually there wouldn't have been any difference if the Dalai Lama and the CTA had not implemented the ban. Had the CTA and the Dalai Lama not implemented the ban we would all be united as 1, as Buddhist. But because of the ban we are divided, we are starting to look like Catholic Christians and Protestant Christians.

The Dalai Lama is always preaching about kindness and compassion, but seeing that he encourages the segregation of Dorje Shugden practitioners and non Dorje Shugden practitioners he is far from practicing what he preaches.

grandmapele

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 03:10:41 PM »
"Tibetan spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama, on Wednesday called upon people to focus on oneness of humanity as against the differences in society"

If the Dalai Lama walks the talk, he'd be lifting the ban on Dorje Shugden. This one move will cement his call for "oneness in humanity". But, instead, the call for "oneness in humanity" is a mockery. No offence, but I cannot reconcile the two sides, so I'm skeptical.

fruven

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 12:22:46 AM »
Unity of Tibetans except Dorje Shugden practitioners. Outsiders would find it strange but to Tibetans who pray to Dalai Lama as their god this is absolutely correct. No bad karma when we fight against enemy, as Dorje Shugden practitioners are the enemy, China are the enemy, anyone who doesn't agree with Dalai Lama is the enemy. There is only with us or the enemy.

grandmapele

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2016, 09:16:53 AM »
Ultimately, there is no good or bad? ultimately, as Buddhist, we have to see beyond politics and learn the wisdom of the Manjushri and the truth as taught by the Buddha Shakyamurni? Ultimately, it is about compassion and wisdom?

Unfortunately, there are factions that are keeping the real teachings of wisdom and compassion from the Tibetans. The politicians are dividing to conquer and stay in power. Sad that the world is going down that road.

SabS

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2016, 08:27:08 PM »
Once again the Dalai Lama had shown his contradictory nature. As many comments mentioned, how could he be preaching on "oneness, not difference" when his own ban on Dorje Shugden is a focus on difference? CTA is certainly playing up this difference to segregate and persecute all Shugden practitioners, especially within their own Tibetan-In-Exiles communities. Other citizens practicing Dorje Shugden are called "Chinese dogs". So how does the Dalai Lama reconcile what he talk about with what he had caused? All his talks/teachings are very nice and compassionate on the surface but as they say "actions speak louder than words". So far the actions of the Dalai Lama causes much sufferings with the ban and had refused dialogue with Shugden practitioners to resolve the issue. With his refusal, then why would he expect the Chinese Government to even have dialogue with him on autonomy? Would China want a trouble causing element to generate more animosity amongst their citizens? It is really sad that the Anti-Shugdens are blindly following someone so contradictory without understanding Buddha Sharkyamuni's teachings. May the Dalai Lama see light and manifest his compassion to lift the ban immediately.

grandmapele

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2016, 09:34:39 PM »
Are we seeing the Dalai Lama as a very secular head, or rather ex-head of state? The problem is the Dalai Lama title was given way back in antiquity by the Mongolian Khan in 1578 to the 3rd Dalai Lama. The Dalai Lamas headed the Tibetan governments.  The post was a very secular and political one.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalai_Lama

The Dalai Lama was not even the spiritual head of the Gelugs of which he is from. The spiritual head of the Gelugs is the Gaden Tripa or Throne Holder established after the passing of Lama Tsongkhapa and is an appointed office.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganden_Tripa

After the Tibetan diaspora, the Dalai Lama has been confused by may to be the head of both which is where the problem started till today. So unless and until this is resolved, there will be confusion for many as the objectives of the church and state are different. So, the Dalai Lama will continue to confuse people by speaking in contradiction.

James Bond

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2016, 07:30:13 AM »
I have just commented on the article about how people assume Ling Rinpoche and Trijang Rinpoche and Demon worshippers because they practive Dorje Shugden. And I have mentioned that that is a good argument against anti-Dorje Shugden practitioners. However this is also a good point. If the Dalai Lama is insisted that his policy of 'Oneness' is to be followed he should life the ban so that everyone would realise that Dorje Shugden practitioners and other Buddhists are the same and should not be criticised for what they believe in. Just my thoughts.

grandmapele

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2016, 09:38:25 PM »
The Dalai Lama is just confusing. He says one thing and does another. I may go to hell for saying this, but he is true to his post as political head of state. Historically the title came with a political role rather than spiritual. So, here the main agenda is politics of staying in power by whatever means. 

Spiritually, that political agenda is taking a lot of people to the hell realms. There is no longer any kindness, compassion or mindfulness of speech. There is anger, violence, hatred and vulgar speech.

It's been very hard to try to find any sense in the Dalai Lama's action. He's guru to my guru, just as Kyabje Pabongka Rinpoche is guru to his guru. He's showing me that I can condemn him just as he condemn his gurus.

What is becoming of Buddism?

pgdharma

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2016, 06:43:40 AM »
“Tibetan spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama, on Wednesday called upon people to focus on oneness of humanity as against the differences in society.“

If the Dalai Lama propagates this, he should lift the ban so that all Buddhists can practice in harmony. Why does he have to segregate Dorje Shugden practitioners? Where is the oneness of humanity? If the Dalai Lama practiced what he preached and accept all as one, then he should lift the ban so that Dorje Shugden and non-Dorje Shugden practitioners can pray in harmony. As it is now, there is so much hatred, anger and violence towards Shugdenpas.