Author Topic: Tattoo on Angelina Jolie  (Read 11732 times)

icy

Tattoo on Angelina Jolie
« on: July 31, 2014, 03:30:19 PM »
I wonder if the tattoo on Angelina is for beauty, trend or protection.  Does anyone know the answer?

Angelina Jolie's tattoo is the Buddhist Pali incantation she has inked on her left shoulder blade. Angelina Jolie's shoulder tattoo was inked by tattoo artist Noo (a.k.a. Sompong) Kanhpaiin in Khmer script, the language of Cambodia, and translates to:

"May your enemies run far away from you.

If you acquire riches, may they remain yours always.

Your beauty will be that of Apsara.

Wherever you may go, many will attend, serve and protect you,

surrounding you on all sides."

Jessie Fong

Re: Tattoo on Angelina Jolie
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 07:02:10 AM »
Regarding the tattoo on Angelina Jolie's left shoulder blade,

http://tattooangelinajolie.com/ mentioned that :

The coordinates shoulder tattoo marks the latitude and longitude of each of her six kids’ birthplaces, and the Buddhist incantation inked in the native Cambodian language, called Khmer, is a prayer meant to protect herself and her eldest son Maddox, who was adopted from Cambodia.

There are 5 types of tattoos:
-- natural tattoos resulting from injuries
-- amateur tattoos
-- professional tattoos
-- cosmetic tattoos
-- medical tattoos

RedLantern

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 02:54:32 PM »

Didn't know she had all those tattoos,seems like an addiction.Regardless to that,I admire her for being a humanitarian. An amazing actress and graceful mother to five children.

Tenzin Malgyur

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 05:16:48 AM »
I have learnt that the tattoos on Angeline Jolie serve as a protection to her. In this modern age, many people like to have tattoos on their body as a statement to their love for someone or their beliefs. In the Thai community, tattoos served as a protection amulet given by a holy teacher to his students/disciples. They are meant to protect from physical and spiritual disturbances from one's enemies. Just as with any religious beliefs, one have to have a good and clean relationship with the teacher for the tattoos to have such power.
Here is another image of tattoo on Angelina Jolie.

Klein

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 08:46:53 AM »
This is what I found online regarding her religion and her tattoo in http://www.religionfacts.com/celebrities/angelina_jolie.htm

"Angelina Jolie does not identify herself with any single religion, nor has she declared herself an atheist (contrary to the claims of some atheist websites {5}). The subject of religion has not often come up in her interviews, so her beliefs about such things as God and the afterlife are not well documented.

The most direct statement Jolie is known to have made on the subject was reported by the website A.V. Club (associated with the online magazine The Onion), which asked a number of celebrities the question, "Is there a God?" and published the answers from 52 of them in a September 2000 feature story. Angelina Jolie gave the following answer:

Hmm... For some people. I hope so, for them. For the people who believe in it, I hope so. There doesn't need to be a God for me. There's something in people that's spiritual, that's godlike. I don't feel like doing things just because people say things, but I also don't really know if it's better to just not believe in anything, either. {6}

So at least in 2000, Angelina Jolie had no specific religious beliefs, didn't personally feel the need for a God and disliked authority-based religion, but was not willing to go so far as atheism and expressed hope that there might be a God for the sake of those who dedicate their lives to religious belief.

Angelina Jolie regards Buddhism as an important part of her son's Cambodian heritage and considers him a Buddhist. She has said, "We spend a lot of time [at our house in Cambodia]. And I’m learning about Buddhism and I’m teaching him what I can. He spent a lot of time in temples with monks and he's learning." {7}

Shortly after adopting Maddox, Angelina tattooed a prayer for protection for him on her upper back in Khmer script (left). She said, "I asked for it to be done in Buddhist Sanskrit, which is part of (Maddox's) history." {8}
Angelina Jolie in Pakistan
Jolie with earthquake survivors in Pakistan, November 2005.

Some have speculated that Angelina Jolie is now a Buddhist (rumor also has it that Angelina and Brad had a Buddhist marriage ceremony), but she has not indicated a commitment to Buddhism more than any other faith. In fact, she seems to take a United-Nations inspired approach to her family, and perhaps, to her religion. She is reported as saying,

"I have a Buddhist son and I'd like a Christian and a Muslim child, too." {9}"

bambi

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 02:09:15 PM »
Yantra tattooing, also called sak yant, is a form of tattooing practiced in Southeast Asian countries including Cambodia, Laos, and Thailand. The practice has also begun to grow in popularity among Chinese Buddhists in Singapore. Sak means "to tap [tattoo]", and yant is Thai for the Sanskrit word yantra.

Sak yant designs are normally tattooed by Ruesi, wicha (magic) practitioners, and Buddhist monks, traditionally with a long bamboo stick sharpened to a point (called a mai sak) or alternatively with a long metal spike (called a khem sak).

Yantra tattoos are believed to be magic and bestow mystical powers, protection, or good luck.

In Cambodia, the tattoo is used for self-protection. Cambodians believe a yantra has magical powers that ward off evil and hardship. The tattoo is particularly popular amongst military personnel. The tattoo supposedly guarantees that the person cannot receive any physical harm as long as they observe certain rules.

There are many traditional types and designs of Yantra Tattoos, but some of the most well-known and popular include:

Ongk Phra (Thai: ??????? translation: Buddha's body) - one of the most commonly used elements in Yantra tattooing but can also be a more complex standalone design. Meant to provide insight, guidance, illumination, etc.
Ha Thaew (Thai: ?????? translation: five rows) - Typically tattooed on the back left shoulder. Each of the five lines relates to a different blessing for success and good luck.
Kao Yord (Thai: ??????? translation: nine spires) - typically tattooed on the center top of the back in various sizes and levels of complexity. Simple version pictured at the top of this article.
Sii Yord (Thai: ?????? translation: four spires) - to influence the feelings or actions of others and protect the bearer.
Paed Tidt (Thai: ?????? translation: eight points) - represents protection in the eight directions of the universe. Round shape; typically tattooed on the center of the back. Pictured in gallery below.
Sip Tidt Thai: ??????(translation: ten points) - a version of Paed Tidt but protects in ten directions instead of eight.
Mahaniyom (Thai: ??????? (translation: great preference) - to grant the bearer favor in the eyes of others. Round shape; typically placed on the back right shoulder.
Yord Mongkut (Thai: ???????? translation: spired crown) - for good fortune and protection in battle. Round shape; typically tattooed on the top of the head.
Bpanjamukhee (translation: five Deva faces) - intended to ward off illness and danger.
Suea (Thai: ???? translation: tiger) - typically depicts twin tigers. Represents power and authority.

maricisun

• Email
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 02:36:06 PM »
The tattoo on Angelina Jolie's shoulder is a sign of love for her six children. A great mother not only to her children but to all other children in the world. - A great humanitarian whom everyone admire.
Never knew she had this tattoo in her.  Must admit she is one great mother.

pinecone

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 01:01:34 AM »
Why are tattoos so popular in today’s society? Most people who have tattoos will say that they got it for a specific time or person in their lives that they will never forget. Is it the latest trend or fashion or does one feel more confident and at ease to have a tattoo on? For some people, tattoos make them feel different from other people. For me, a tattoo on my body will be a big No, no. I personally feel that the tattoo on a superstar like Angelina Jolie’s left shoulder blade has degraded her beauty status. Further, tattoos are meant to be permanent and the process of removing a tattoo is messy and will also cause scars.

pgdharma

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2014, 11:34:13 AM »
Angelina Jolie has a love for tattoos. She has at least a dozen tattoos over her body and she also has quite a lot of experience with tattoo removal and each of the tattoos has a special meaning. Her love with the art work bears a long and eventful history. She got the tattoos on many  occasions in her life and even got some of them removed to replace them with something new.  She falls in and out of love with the designs  but the tattoo love has remained unchanged. For her it is more of a serene and spiritual exercise that she loves to indulge in.

MoMo

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 10:05:21 AM »
.... For me, a tattoo on my body will be a big No, no. I personally feel that the tattoo on a superstar like Angelina Jolie’s left shoulder blade has degraded her beauty status. ....
Everyone is entitled to their choice on subject to be tattooed on parts of their body. Some are plain subject of samsaric attachment, some Dharmic and inspiring quote. It’s their ways of expressing their personal believe and ideal.

I truly like the verses on her shoulder that read:
  "May your enemies run far away from you.
If you acquire riches, may they remain yours always.
Your beauty will be that of Apsara.
Wherever you may go, many will attend, serve and protect you,
surrounding you on all sides."

It was in line with the karmic result of upholding the Virtue and having put Bhagavan’ teaching into practice. That you will gain fearlessness , Buddha, Bodhisattava, Brahma and the like will lend you a hand… In future you will be reborn with these 8 endowments 1. Long life 2.Great beauty 3.affluent family  4. Great wealth  5. Eloquent speech 6. Great power and fame 7. Being a male/ independence and freedom  8. Strong body and mind. 

eyesoftara

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 08:22:35 AM »
Angelina Jolie is a new age mother, celebrity and ambassador of the human race that propagate action oriented work that helps people directly. Through her fame she is able to help people where it is most needed from Africa to Asia and it enables people who have the means to contribute to these cause. Hence, she help the "haves" to help the "have nots". In this way, she is a true boddhisattva in her activities, all the while, remaining fabulous and attractive to her audiences; friends, fans and beneficiaries of her work alike.
I really admire her for her perfect actions.

happysun

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2014, 03:47:35 AM »
Thank you for sharing this post to us. I feel quite interesting that a superstar like Angelina Jolie also believed that put on Buddhism prayers tattoo on body to seek for protection. According to some of the information, her tattoo is protection of herself and her son.  :)

As a famous artist like her, seem like truly believed the power of Buddhism. It is good to let more people know. Buddhism is powerful. Thank you for Angelina to show us that the power of Buddhism prayer it's powerful no matter what is going on happen.