Author Topic: RIP Robin Williams  (Read 17170 times)

bambi

RIP Robin Williams
« on: August 14, 2014, 01:01:57 PM »
It is really heartbreaking to see people giving up on everything when they have no where to turn. I have read many stories like this and it reminded me of me when I was depressed but I had the chance/merits to meet with the most beautiful thing in the world, Buddha's teachings.
It is sad that many people dont talk about it and they get worse and in the end the only solution for them, death. We must cherish those around us, take time to talk to them, understand them and help them in any way we can before its too late.

(CNN) -- Robin Williams -- who first made America laugh and eventually touched "every element of the human spirit" in a remarkable range of performances -- died at his Northern California home Monday.
Williams apparently took his own life, law enforcement officials said. He was 63.

"He has been battling severe depression of late," his media representative Mara Buxbaum told CNN. "This is a tragic and sudden loss. The family respectfully asks for their privacy as they grieve during this very difficult time."

Coroner investigators suspect "the death to be a suicide due to asphyxia," according to a statement from the Marin County, California, Sheriff's Office.

Williams married graphic designer Susan Schneider in Napa Valley, California, ceremony in October 2011.
"This morning, I lost my husband and my best friend, while the world lost one of its most beloved artists and beautiful human beings. I am utterly heartbroken," Schneider said.

"On behalf of Robin's family, we are asking for privacy during our time of profound grief. As he is remembered, it is our hope the focus will not be on Robin's death, but on the countless moments of joy and laughter he gave to millions."

President Barack Obama's statement sent from the White House summed it up:
"Robin Williams was an airman, a doctor, a genie, a nanny, a president, a professor, a bangarang Peter Pan, and everything in between.  But he was one of a kind. He arrived in our lives as an alien -- but he ended up touching every element of the human spirit.  He made us laugh.  He made us cry.  He gave his immeasurable talent freely and generously to those who needed it most -- from our troops stationed abroad to the marginalized on our own streets."

Marin County deputies responded to an emergency call from Williams' home in unincorporated Tiburon, California, at 11:55 a.m., reporting "a male adult had been located unconscious and not breathing," the release from the sheriff said.

Williams was pronounced dead at 12:02 p.m., it said.

Williams was last seen alive at his home, where he lives with his wife, at about 10 p.m. Sunday, the sheriff's statement said.

"An investigation into the cause, manner and circumstances of the death is currently underway by the Investigations and Coroner Divisions of the Sheriff's Office," the sheriff's statement said.
"Coroner Division suspects the death to be a suicide due to asphyxia, but a comprehensive investigation must be completed before a final determination is made."

maricisun

• Email
Re: RIP Robin Williams
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 02:44:02 PM »
Robin William will be deeply missed. I remember my first 'encounter' with him was the popular 'Mok and Mindy' show. I've enjoyed the sow then and all other shows he had made to this date.
The passing of his death serves to remind us that all that is glamorous is not what it appears to be. To be suffering from depression and maybe no one to talk to is something very sad indeed.
To have some dharma knowledge may be helpful at times like this. There are more to life than this. Wish you had taken some other way out of your depression instead of death.
You will be missed and remembered forever.

X

• Email
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 03:29:52 PM »
That day when I woke up in the morning, I got the message from my friends saying that Robin Williams had passed away. It gave me a shock, Im sad at the same time as Robin Williams reminds me a lot of my childhood. Memories from all the good movies he’s acting in. Robin Williams will be missed! A great comedian! RIP Robin Williams, have a good rebirth.  :'( :'( :'(

Tenzin Malgyur

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 03:44:16 PM »
Robin Williams will surely be missed by many. Who would not remember being entertained by this late actor? All the cheer and smiles that he have brought to so many people all over the world. It is just too bad that no one could bring the cheer to him when he needed it.
The least we could do now to repay the cheer he have brought to us is to leave his loved ones and families to grieve and not speculate on the causes that lead to Robin's untimely death.

RedLantern

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 04:00:19 PM »
Laughter is the best medicine.Robin Williams talent helped people laugh and feel better. A huge loss to the world and will be truly missed.There will never be anyone that will make me laugh as much as you did.
Rest in peace. May you have a good and swift rebirth.

Kim Hyun Jae

• Email
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 04:10:50 PM »
Most of us may have grown up watching Robin Williams's movies and the way he made us laugh in them. His acting is hilarious and we learned to laugh at ourselves.

The sad thing is Robin Williams's private life is completely alien to us. I am not able to understand how a person who makes the world laugh and is brilliant would destroy his own life like that? Perhaps Robin Williams has inner demons that was brought in by his childhood that eventually led to taking his own life. His life must have been quite unbearable to leave behind his wonderful family. This is so sad. If only he became a Buddhist to learn to save himself.

Klein

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 05:05:05 AM »
It is very sad that Robin Williams couldn't get the help he desperately needed. According to the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, the following is a brief summary of depression.

1. Over 60 percent of all people who die by suicide suffer from major depression. If one includes alcoholics who are depressed, this figure rises to over 75 percent.

2. Depression affects nearly 10 percent of Americans ages 18 and over in a given year, or more than 24 million people.

3. More Americans suffer from depression than coronary heart disease (17 million), cancer (12 million) and HIV/AIDS (1 million)

4. About 15 percent of the population will suffer from clinical depression at some time during their lifetime. Thirty percent of all clinically depressed patients attempt suicide; half of them ultimately die by suicide.

5. The best way to prevent suicide is through early detection, diagnosis and treatment of depression and other mood disorders.

6. Depression is among the most treatable of psychiatric illnesses. Between 80 percent and 90 percent of people with depression respond positively to treatment, and almost all patients gain some relief from their symptoms. But first, depression has to be recognized.

It is very important that we study and practise the dharma because it helps us focus less on ourselves and more on others. When we focus outwards, we create less afflictive emotions. When we generate more merits while practising the dharma and follow our Guru's instructions, we will be able to avert these unfortunate states of mind.

eyesoftara

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 05:24:29 AM »
I am a fan of Robin Williams. He was a most versatile actor. He was good in comedy and drama but I like him best in roles that were almost like it was created for him in movies like "Dead Poet Society" and "Good Will Hunting". Didn't like "BiCentennial Man" as the movie didn't do justice to the Isaac Asimov's book which was a classic sci-fi novel.

Anyhow, it is sad for a "successful" person like him to waste his precious life by committing suicide. I read that there were many suicides especially among comedians. Somehow, for a comedian to be a successful, one has an intense personality that needs to be fed on all the time. When they are "less successful" in the interim, they tend to take drugs and alcohol to "forget" the perceived "failure".

The lesson is that, in samsara, unless we study the Dharma and practice it well, we do not understand the workings of the mind and let it dictate us and we feed this "ignorance' of the mind until we snap resulting in sadness, anger, depression and even suicide. If we lead our lives this way; which the majority of human do; we  are just wasting the precious human rebirth.

Practice the Dharma now, please.

May Robin William have a Good Rebirth! Om Mani Peme Hum. Om Ah Ra Ba Zha Na Dhi!

MoMo

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 03:07:53 PM »
Just a glance of his smile in this posted photo reminded me of the laughter he brings to us during our childhood days. Who would think that such a funny and cheerful guy will takes his own life due to depression? I would rather believe he lifted many solemn souls when they’re at their lowest.
It is truly sad to see him succumb to his own “ignorance” by thinking death will be the “end it all” solution.
But then again, even this remark would be an “ignorance” one as it is very difficult to put ourselves in his shoe to see the suffering that he had to experience.. Therefore, it is best to learn and to protect our mind when we’re at the peak of our mental health and not frantically search for solutions in the Dharma when at the influence of afflictive emotion. Practice Dharma now, before we are powerless against Mara attack!

pinecone

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2014, 03:10:56 PM »
What causes depression? There’s no simple answer as to why people become depressed. It’s often a combination of things and it varies from person to person. We do know that some people are more likely to become depressed than others. Depression can also be triggered by a difficult situation in your life, or it can build up over many years. Sometimes there’s no obvious reason or neither can one be able to know or understand the kind of unpleasant disturbances or feelings a depression patient will be encountering and battling, or even he could take his own life? It’s really sad that we have lost another talented and remarkable comedian cum performer, the late Mr Robin Williams. RIP Robin Williams and may you have a good and swift human rebirth .

sandra

• Email
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2014, 06:35:34 AM »
We are in the current samsara whereby full of challenges or life pressure. When we are unable to overcome the challenges or pressure that comes worry and caused depression. Buddhism teaching is serve as antitode to all these kind problems. How grateful if more and more people can understand the important of teaching and appreciate it and use the teaching as antitode to overcome our life problem. We really need to bear in mind commit suicide is not the way to solve problem. The problem will not simply end but maybe lead to the other problem. However, may Mr Robin Williams will rest in peace and has a good human rebirth.

pgdharma

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2014, 07:44:13 AM »
Robin Williams will be missed by many. He is a hilarious person who brings laughter and joy to the lives of others. Who would have imagined that he himself was facing depression which led to his tragic death? Robin Williams is a famous and celebrity, yet this material wealth cannot compensate the lack of inner peace and happiness. If only he understood dharma, his life would have been different. May he be blessed with a good rebirth!

Jessie Fong

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2014, 09:14:49 AM »
Robin Williams was a very well known accomplished actor and comedian.  I remember him from his Mork and Mindy days, and he went on to establish himself as a very great actor in many other films.

It is unfortunate that wealth and fame could not buy him the anti-dote to his troubles.

angelsherfield

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2014, 11:53:44 AM »
I am so shocked when saw news about Robin Williams death. It is sad that we have lost someone who has bring a lot of joy and happiness through the movies he acts.

Whenever i am stressed, I love watching his movie. It always cheers me up with his smile and act of "happy go lucky". And It reminds me to choose to live happily in life. Things may not happen as what we expected. But it is part of life. Why not choose to be happy while we are still alive in this world. Always care and help others who needed.

May Robin Williams rest in peace. We will always remember the happiness you have brought to this world. :'(

kris

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2014, 08:25:33 PM »
It is indeed very sad to hear the news of Robin Williams decided to end his life :( He has brought so much fun to us through his acting, and depression never seems would have anything to do with Robin.

We are now living a world where are very connected, for example it is so much convenient to video call family and friends overseas; it is easier to connect to friends through whatsapp etc. but yet we are not happy with what we have.

We really need to be alert that if our family or friends or kids are being affected by depression. We must stop the depression before it is too late. I have heard that Lama Tsongkapa's migtsema is very good to counter depression. If you know of people who have depression, please remember to introduce them to recite migtsema daily before it is too late...