Author Topic: 10 Most Spectacular Golden Pagodas Around The World  (Read 14882 times)

Jessie Fong

10 Most Spectacular Golden Pagodas Around The World
« on: August 03, 2014, 02:56:30 PM »
The Huffington Post has an article about Spectacular Golden Pagodas:

Many religious buildings around the world are gloriously decorated with intricate mosaics, stained glass windows, beautiful art, and soaring arches, but these golden pagodas may outshine them all.

Most of the pagodas serve as places where holy relics are kept, as well as houses of Buddhist worship. Myanmar's Shwedagon Pagoda, one of the largest such structures in the world, contains strands of the Buddha's hair inside the shrine. It is covered with gold plates, some of which have been donated by the people of Myanmar. The stupa's top is encrusted with 4531 diamonds; the largest of which is a 72 carat diamond.

Perhaps the most precarious pagoda is Kyaiktiyo Pagoda, also called The Golden Rock, which is located in Myanmar as well. The stupa rests on top of a giant boulder, perched on the edge of a cliff. According to lore, the only thing that keeps it from rolling off the edge is a strand of the Buddha's hair.

Matibhadra

Re: 10 Most Spectacular Golden Pagodas Around The World
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 04:19:39 AM »
The first thing Western- and Saudi Arabia-sponsored Muslim terrorists would destroy in Myanmar, if only Buddhists would allow them to, to the satisfaction and applause of the faithful-to-his-Muslim-roots terrorist and Myanmar-hater, the evil dalai.

bambi

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 04:10:22 PM »
Wow! Such an amazing looking pagoda! I didnt know that there is one so beautiful in Myanmar! And to see it balance on another rock like that is jaw dropping! Hence, I did some reading...

Legend
The legend associated with the pagoda is that the Buddha, on one of his many visits, gave a strand of his hair to Taik Tha, a hermit. The hermit, who had tucked it in the tuft of his hair safely, in turn gave the strand to the king, with the wish that the hair be enshrined in a boulder shaped like the hermit's head. The king had inherited supernatural powers from his father Zawgyi, a proficient alchemist, and his mother, a naga serpent dragon princess. They found the rock at the bottom of the sea. With the help of the Thagyamin, the king of Tawadeintha Heaven in Buddhist cosmology, found the perfect place at Kyaiktiyo for locating the golden rock and built a pagoda, where the strand was enshrined. It is this strand of hair that, according to the legend, prevents the rock from tumbling down the hill. The boat, which was used to transport the rock, turned into a stone. This is also worshiped by pilgrims at a location about 300 metres (980 ft) from the golden rock. It is known as the Kyaukthanban Pagoda or stupa (literal meaning: stone boat stupa).

Legends also mention that pilgrims undertaking the pilgrimage by trekking from the Kinpun base camp three times consecutively in a year will be blessed with wealth and recognition.

maricisun

• Email
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 02:50:58 PM »
Simply amazing. And it looks stunning too. This is one holy spot to visit when in Myanmar. Would be so blessed too as it contains holy relics and the stand of the Buddha's hair is what keeps if from rolling off the edge
Just by looking at this photo is already so blessed..

X

• Email
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 03:30:28 PM »
Stupas are really beautiful, it never fail to amaze me, stupas represent the buddha’s holy mind. Everytime I see a stupa, it give me a feeling of warmness and calmness for some reason. I like places like Nepal, India, Thailand, etc where they have stupas everywhere, and also the energy projected by all the people who is chanting mantras and doing prostrations. I hope that in the future there are more and more stupas around the country to bless all sentient beings and bring the good energy everywhere.

angelica

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 04:06:09 PM »
Thank you Jessie Fong for sharing the photo of this beautiful Golden Pagoda and Bambi on the legend of the Pagoda. It is really amazing that a strand of Buddha's hair can keep it from rolling off the edge. May the beautiful Pagoda bless the people of Myanmar and those that see it.

eyesoftara

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 05:53:49 AM »
Pagodas or Stupas are a blessings for the environment and the beings in the surrounding areas. It is said in the Lamrim, even an worm that accidentally circumambulate a Stupa got a rebirth as a god.  Stupas are called Pagados in Thailand, Myanmar and China. Notice  however,there is one Pagoda among the 10 in the list from India ie "The Global Vipasssana Pagoda" in Gevrai, India. This is an exception to the rule.
These Pagados provide blessings to all beings, Buddhist or not; as it honors the Buddha, his disciples, high monks and Lamas and beyond that the Dharma. Hence, it is usually decorated with gold, diamonds and other precious metal and jewels as an offering of the best to best ie the enlightened.

Midakpa

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 02:47:37 PM »
Another spectacular golden pagoda is the Shwedagon Pagoda in Myanmar. It is also known as the Great Dagon Pagoda or the Golden Pagoda. It is a gilded pagoda of 99m (325 feet) in height, located in Yangon. The pagoda lies to the west of Kadawgyi Lake, on Singuttara Hill. It has relics of 4 past Buddhas: the staff of Kakusandha, the water filter of Konagamana, a piece of robe of Kassapa and eight strands of hair from Gautama Buddha.

The eight strands of hair were brought back to Myanmar by two merchants, Traphussa and Bhallika, who met the Buddha in Bodhgaya during the seventh week after the enlightenment. The Buddha was meditating under the rajayatana tree when the two traders came and offered him rice cakes and honey. The Buddha then gave them eight hairs from his head which they enshrined in a stupa when they returned to Myanmar.

Kim Hyun Jae

• Email
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 03:54:22 PM »
The pagoda was amazing shining on top with golden tip. Takes my breath away. Certain would try to make a trip there to make aspiration prayers.

pinecone

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2014, 01:26:33 PM »
Buddhist temples, stupas and pagodas provide a place to circumambulate for the laity and the Sangha and also a space in which reflection and contemplation can take place. The architecture and style of  stupas and pagodas can change depending on the location. Stupas in Thailand will look different from a pagodas in China. Those who be able to encounter with the stupas or pagodas will be blessed and further it will help us to connect to the Buddha. Myanmar's Shwedagon Pagoda is really awesome and eye catching.

RedLantern

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2014, 02:12:21 PM »

The Shwedagon Pagoda looks magnificent ,great and beautiful in the middle of Yangoon. It is the most sacred and temple on earth.  Incredible architecture.Just by looking at these amazing pagodas,you'll find peace and tranquility.

Tenzin Malgyur

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2014, 09:01:59 AM »
Jessie thanks for sharing this educational article here with us. The Golden Rock or the Kyaiktiyo Pagoda is truly extraordinary. I like the explanation of how it came about. It convinced me of the fact that it was truly the work of some beings greater than human. What marveled me most was how the big boulder with the pagoda at its top could perch itself firmly at the edge of a cliff- this made possible by a single strand of Buddha's hair.
To me, it is a sign of the great physical power of the Buddha and if one were to follow the Buddha's teachings and practice it, one could gain much more.