Author Topic: Mahamudra in Shugden  (Read 11988 times)

Dingirfecho

• Email
Mahamudra in Shugden
« on: October 27, 2007, 04:24:51 AM »
Hi!
First, let me thank you for the opportunity which you bring here in this forum!
I´d like to ask about the practice...I´ve not seen in the practice that is on the website any of the lights which are used in mahamudra (ie: clear light for aum, red in the throat for ah,etc) ...can we do the practice without them?

Thanks!

beggar

Re: Mahamudra in Shugden
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 05:00:21 AM »
dear Dingirfecho,
protector practice should always be in conjunction with your yidam practice, where we do (for example) the visualization you mentioned. Of course there's also visualization involved during protector practice - for example during invocation or mantra recitation, generally visualizing the merit field and definitely in the more complex and esoteric long sadhana - yet there is a different emphasis. As it is said 'Lama gives blessings, yidam attainments, and protector protection (boosting, keeping us focused, clearing obstacles etc.),' so do the techniques vary. This said, with our particular Dharmapala it is said one can gain attainments too, so perhaps the borders are not so fixed - i guess that goes especially for those with yamantaka empowerment - but let's not keep this from holding our yidam practice as central.

jeff Ryan

• Email
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 01:44:55 PM »
Please remember that Dorje Shugden is an Uncommon Protector in that he is Lama, Yidam and Protector all in one.

David

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 11:23:13 AM »
What BEGGAR has written is 100% accurate. And it is wonderful to read that on this forum, knowledgeable ppl are participating.

What Jeff says is a great reminder to who are protector is.  He is not a evil spirit that was subjugated and sworn to help dharma such as Nechung.  Or fought with Guru Rinpoche and in a psychic battle lost and then forced to swear allegiance to Dharma like Ekazati the one eyed one. He incarnated into a line of great beings such as Indian Mahasiddha Birwapa, Dulzin Trakpa Gyeltsen, principal student of Tsongkapa and built Gaden Monastery. Panchen Sonam Drakpa who composed the syllabus being used today in Drepung and Gaden for the studies. Who was famed for being throne holder (Gaden Tripa) and abbot of all Gaden, Sera and Drepung in one lifetime!!!  etc etc.  Our Dharma protector Dorje Shugden consciously and on purpose took rebirth to arise as an uncommon Dharma Protector to uphold Tsongkapa's view on Emptiness which is supreme in Samsara.  So when Dorje Shugden appears via oracle he can quote clearly from texts, debate, do divinations for future extremely accurately, give talks, pass oral transmissions and even give initiations.  He is not just a protector, but Lama, yidam and protector rolled into one. Therefore if we rely on him, he blesses/guides us towards the understanding and practice of Dharma. He doesnt just take care of material necessities which is easy for him, but ACTUALLY GUIDES US TOWARD LEARNING, UNDERSTANDING AND REALIZATION OF DHARMA. Which would be the real cause for us to leave samsara and the ULTIMATE PURPOSE OF A DHARMA PROTECTOR. He 'protects' us from samsara and it's pitfalls.  This is an uncommon protector who acts like a high lama when necessary. Because he is Manjushri, then we can gain attainments and great merits while propitiation of him. Finally of course as a Dharma protector to help us from the 8 fears and the results of our 8 worldly dharmas. Immensely incredible.

Dingirfecho

• Email
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 03:41:47 PM »
Thanks for all the replies!
Do you have the name of the texts where Dorje Shugden is mentioned?
Or a full sadhana of him?

Eric

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 03:53:25 PM »
NKT's sadhana "Melodious drum" is the Kangso practice translated into english.

Very beautiful and a powerful practice.
It combines the various other protectors along with Guru Yoga,Highest Yoga Tantra(generation stage),Lama chopa.

Powerful.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 07:26:10 AM by Admin »

Dingirfecho

• Email
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 02:49:31 AM »
Hey, Thanks!
But I meant, is there anyplace where I can download it?
I have the tanjur, and the kangso, but I suspect it will differ from that practice.

Alexis

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 05:38:10 AM »
Dear Dingirfecho,

The kangso is the sadhana. Also, I is important for you to engage in Dorje Shugden practice in conjunction with your Lama-Yidam. Usually, before you can check to sadhana, you have to get an annuttara yoga tantra empowerment or at least a permission from you Lama. You have to be introduced to Dorje Shugden by you Lama, otherwise the practice has no real value.

Don't just download out of curiosity. Run strait to you Lama, make three prostrations and request and explanation on the practice...it will bring a lot more benefits.

Alexis

Dingirfecho

• Email
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 03:11:04 PM »
:D My lama is of the Drikung Kagyu school, so I don´t think he´ll be very happy. :D

Eric

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 07:15:28 PM »
Then it's probably best not to worry  about obtaining the sadhanas,as far as I know Kagyu sees DS as a lower protector...not a main practice.
Just a suggestion.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 07:25:15 AM by Admin »

Alexis

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2007, 05:04:47 PM »
Dear Dingirfecho,

In any case, you souldn't do anything that would or could displease your Lama. Most especially, you shouldn't engage in any practice behind your Lama's back.

You should worship your's Lama's own protector(s) very firmly and receive oral transmition from him on those practices. This will make you Lama happy and you will receive quick blessings from all Buddhas and Boddhisattvas.

Sincerly,

beggar

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 03:46:55 PM »
NKT's sadhana "Melodious drum" is the Kangso practice translated into english.

Very beautiful and a powerful practice.
It combines the various other protectors along with Guru Yoga,Highest Yoga Tantra(generation stage),Lama chopa.

Powerful.

Ps, you can order this sadhana on the net from tharpa publications

description:

Melodious Drum Victorious in all Directions
The extensive fulfilling and restoring ritual of the Dharma Protector, the great king Dorje Shugden, in conjunction with Mahakala, Kalarupa, Kalindewi, and other Dharma Protectors

Introduction

This practice consists of five parts: Praise to Manjushri, the Guru Yoga of Je Tsongkhapa, Self-generation as Heruka, the Fulfilling and Restoring Ritual of the General Protectors, and the Fulfilling and Restoring Ritual of the Great King Dorje Shugdän. Of these, the last is the principal practice.

A Dharma Protector is an emanation of a Buddha or a Bodhisattva whose main functions are to avert the inner and outer obstacles that prevent practitioners from gaining spiritual realizations, and to arrange all the necessary conditions for their prac- tice. Beings in this present time have a strong karmic link with Dorje Shugdän, and so he is the Dharma Protector who is most able to help them. Therefore it is said that, Now is the time to rely upon Dorje Shugden. Dorje Shugden always helps, guides, and protects pure and faithful practitioners by granting blessings, increasing their wisdom, fulfilling their wishes, and bestowing success on all their virtuous activities.

There are many brief and middling-length sadhanas of Dorje Shugden, such as Heart Jewel and Wishfulfilling Jewel. This extensive sadhana is called Kangso in Tibetan, which means Fulfilling and Restoring Ritual, and it is usually performed once a month in Dharma Centres. During this puja we make extensive offerings and perform other practices (1) to fulfil our heart commitment to rely upon the Protector sincerely, regarding him as inseparable from the Guru and Yidam, and to practise the pure Dharma of Lamrim, Lojong, and Mahamudra; and (2) to restore any degenerate or broken commitments we may have incurred.

We begin the practice with Praise to Manjushri to remember that the Guru and Protector are in reality emanations of the Wisdom Buddha. We then perform the Guru yoga of Je Tsongkhapa and, after dissolving the Guru into our heart, perform self-generation as Heruka. We then invite the general Dharma Protectors such as Mahakala, Kalarupa, and Kalindewi, before beginning the actual sadhana of Dorje Shugdän. The fulfilling and restoring ritual of the general Protectors is interwoven with the sadhana of Dorje Shugden.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 07:34:47 AM by Admin »

Rinchen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2016, 05:31:06 PM »
Wow, I have learnt so much just by reading this. I agree that if we do not know how to do mudras, we do not have to do them as it might make us lose our focus in meditation. There are many lamas in the world that are not good with rituals, but they are highly attained masters because of their meditations.

I think the most important point is already mentioned with is to check with your Guru the practice that should be done and from there to do the practice then. I agree that we should never engage in a practice that we do without informing our teachers.

SabS

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2016, 10:30:24 AM »
Thank you Dingirfecho for asking this question that had enabled us to learn so much from the sharing of others, ie. Beggar, David, Eric, Alexis.... It is interesting that Dingirfecho of Drikung Kagyu school would be interested in Protector Dorje Shugden to want his practice. It shows that this practice is efficacious and beneficial to all. However, as mentioned it would be best to be true to our own Gurus as it is from them that we will receive the blessings and results in our practices. Going behind the Lama's back to obtain practices is just like the great Milarepa who was denied teachings many times by his Guru, Marpa, going to Marpa's student for teachings instead. Using deceit, the student was tricked into teaching Milarepa but after months of practice and meditation, no results was achieved. An attained Guru will know when we are ready and will compassionately give us the necessary suitable practices. With trust and faith, we will gain the blessings and attainments through these practices given. So turn to your own Guru with pure motivation for your practice and don't seek out others no matter how tempting.

grandmapele

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2016, 05:48:55 PM »
At all times, keep your samaya with your Guru clean and strong. No blessing can come from broken samaya and no practice can be beneficial without the Guru's blessings.

Always get permission from your Guru before seeking another Guru. If you are ready, your root Guru will not grudge you the additional Guru. In fact, sometimes, even when you think you're not ready but your Guru feels otherwise, he will send you to your next Guru. So, please go check with your Guru and get permission before going any further.

As Sabs mentioned about Marpa and Milarepa, it will be most efficacious if you obtain your Guru's permission and blessings.