Author Topic: Mystery surrounds the theft of stolen Ming Dynasty figure of Vajrasattva  (Read 4777 times)

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
I came across this article (which seems to be incomplete - no comment about journalism) and thought i would share it in case anyone does come across this beautiful statue. It would be a waste if the statue was bought unwittingly so if we share this, it will bring awareness of the fact that it is stolen and hopefully it can be restored to its rightful owner.

Mystery surrounds the theft of stolen Ming Dynasty figure of Vajrasattva
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/mystery-surrounds-the-theft-of-stolen-ming-dynasty-figure-of-vajrasattva/story-e6frg6n6-1226895361998
JILLIAN MCKEE THE DAILY TELEGRAPH APRIL 25, 2014 12:00AM

Stolen more than eight years ago ... the Ming Dynasty statuette of Vajrasattva. Source: Supplied

POLICE are appealing for information about the theft of 600-year-old gold-gilt statuette, which was stolen from a Western Sydney home more than eight years ago.

The missing Chinese Ming Dynasty figure depicts the Buddhist character Vajrasattva, often known as the Prince of Purity, on an golden base.

Liverpool police crime manager Detective Inspector Dean Johnstone yesterday said the statuette was unique, distinctive and would be “very difficult to offload”.

“We are confident that anyone who may have seen it will recognise it instantly,” he said.

The 19.3cm high bronze cast statuette bears markings indicating it was created during China’s Great Ming Yongle period, between 1403-1424.

After exhausting all other lines of inquiry, police have finally turned to the public for help in finding the rare and valuable artefact.

“The statuette has belonged to the family for hundreds of years, and is a treasured heirloom, with significant financial and historical value,” Insp Johnstone said.

“The owner is very keen to find out what happened to it
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

Kim Hyun Jae

• Email
Ancient Buddhist statues are works of art and valuable artifacts. Whoever had stolen it may have smuggled it abroad illegally to an undergound unknown buyer and kept it out of sight in some underground storage or cellar. It may have been melted even. Who knows?

I hope the family would be able to recover their lost heirloom soon.

bambi

Another important, beautiful artifact stolen and lost somewhere in the world. What a waste! This Buddha is so priceless because of the years they have been kept with the family. Passed on from generations. Well, I do hope that whoever is having it now treasure the Buddha as much as this family and not just a a piece of art stacked somewhere in a vault. Or better still, whoever took it have a change of heart and decides to return it to the owner.  ;D

Freyr Aesiragnorak

This statue looks stunning for a Ming Dynasty piece. It is a shame that someone had stolen this Vajrasattva. As the Buddha of purity, Who's practice one engages in to purify negative karma, i find it somewhat ironic. It is a shame for sure. I truly hope that this statue is found but since it was so long ago, I think the hopes of finding it are slim now.

fruven

It is a beautiful Vajrasattva statue for sure. For it to be stolen I would think people are going after the gold. I feel it is kind of late to report of the stolen item after it has gone missing for 8 years. Difficult to offload? There is plenty of time to offload the statue between these 8 years since the public isn't aware of it till now. Too late.  :(

MoMo

I wonder how does one claim ownership of an artifact? By prove of purchase from an auction house? That arise another question of could it be some looted or smuggle items belong to a certain country which they categories it as national treasure?  :o
I often seen on TV museums in the west was displaying artifacts from ancient Egypt and to all over the world! I was wondering on how they acquire all the display items…. From Indiana Jones’s personal collections perhaps?  ::)