Author Topic: Does the Gelug Tradition Have a Future?  (Read 8680 times)

icy

Does the Gelug Tradition Have a Future?
« on: April 04, 2014, 06:00:36 AM »
What is the future of the Gelug Tradition after the 14th Dalai Lama?

Does the Gelug Tradition Have a Future? Small | Large

psylotripitaka

Re: Does the Gelug Tradition Have a Future?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 08:10:42 AM »
Of course it does. The DL is not the head of the Gelug lineage, the many lineage Gurus transmitting the lineage are, and the Geden Lineage is coming alive in the hearts of many people throughout this world. Dorje Shugden, Je Tsongkhapa, and the devotion of their followers are too powerful for the Dalai Lama to destroy.

dondrup

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 01:29:40 PM »
In addition to what psylotripitaka had said, we are seeing a renaissance of the Gelug tradition with the emergence of young tulkus taking over the leadership of the Gelug lineage. HH Trijang Chocktrul Rinpoche and HH Zong Rinpoche had been touring the world giving teachings and initiations recently.  These high lamas together with other Gelug lineage teachers will continue to uphold and spread Lama Tsongkhapa and Dorje Shugden lineages far and wide.

fruven

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 02:09:40 PM »
There is a future because out of compassion of every sentient beings the enlightenment beings have emanated as spiritual guides. Why would there be no future? I think the last one to give up, or not even giving up, on elevating the sufferings of others would be the high lamas. Worldly beings are the ones easily giving up when they encountered obstacles in life. The high lamas have come back many times tirelessly working for happiness of others, what could compare to their perseverance?

shugdenpromoter

• Email
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 02:37:21 PM »
I sincerely believe that the Gelug Tradition will live on with or without HH. I respect HH a lot, what I feel he has been doing is to propel the Gelug Tradition to a mass audience with the controversial HH has created with the Shugden issue.

In fact 20 yrs from now. CTA will be nowhere. I mean they used to be TGIE previously and has downgraded to just and administration office. People will forget. The world will forget. News which was the main highlight 5 years ago or even last year has been forgotten. People only remember the current news. Thus whatever the Gelug lineage Lamas are doing now is to preserve the tradition. I do not know the plans of Trijang Rinpoche & Zong Rinpoche but I believe they will make the Gelug Tradition more appealing to the future generation as boddhisattva of such level will find current methods to attract the people of the current or future mind.

Tenzin Malgyur

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 02:52:07 PM »
Yes, definitely. The Gelug Tradition certainly have a future, and might I add, a very bright one too. As mentioned by psylotripitaka, the Dalai Lama is not the head of the Gelug lineage. The continuation of the Gelug lineage is due to the kindness of the lineage gurus who compassionately continue to turn the dharma wheel so that the teachings of Je Tsongkhapa remain to benefit all beings.

Big Uncle

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 03:37:53 PM »
Yeah, I have to agree that the Gelug lineage definitely have a future and it has got nothing to do with the Dalai Lama. However, if we look at the basis of the ban, we will certainly come to the conclusion that the ban destabilises the Gelug lineage and also takes away the validity of the lineage. How can the main lineage lamas of the Gelug tradition be wrong about something as integral to the lineage as a popularly practiced Dharma Protector?

As long as the ban is in place, the validity of the Gelug lineage is at stake and therefore, the future of the lineage is in very real danger. With or without the Dalai Lama, it would not jeopardize the Gelug lineage. However, the ban definitely jeopardize the long-term survival and propagation of the lineage.

yontenjamyang

• Email
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 04:38:39 PM »
I suspect the ban and the results of the ban is that the Protector Dorje Shugden's practice is flourishing openly and in secret. It is as though the Dalai Lama is churning the cream from the ordinary Gelugs, with the cream being the Dorje Shugden practitioners. The institution of the Dalai Lama will die when the 14th and present Dalai Lama passes on because the Dalai Lama needs to be a Gelug and with the present political situation, there will be a dispute similar to the Panchen Lama and the Karmapa issues when that happens. Anyway we look at it, this will be practically the last effective Dalai Lama and I know He know that.
As it is, the New Kadampa traditions is flourishing in the west and it is Lama Tsongkhapa's lineage and the Gelug will flourish via Pabongka, Trijang and Zong Rinpoches' lineage to say the least. We can see the evidence of this in the ban itself as even through the ban the practitioners are steadfast in their guru devotion and keeping their sogtae initiation vows. It shows what kind of practitioners they are and it is through this steadfastness that the Gelug lineage will further propagate in the future.

Freyr Aesiragnorak

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2014, 11:40:47 AM »
The Gelug tradition is sure to continue with or without the Dalai Lama, as is testament to some of us being here. We have our own Gurus, who have kept their samaya clean with their own Gurus in preserving the authentic Gelugpa Lineage.  As mentioned by some other fellow commenters here, the question is not whether the lineage will continue but HOW the lineage will continue due to the instability of the ban and the fact that a schism has already occurred. We should all pray our hardest, and work out hardest to educate people on the falsity of the ban on the practice, that we can ourselves create the causes for the ban to be lifted and our golden lineage to be one again.

psylotripitaka

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 02:12:22 AM »
Yeah, I have to agree that the Gelug lineage definitely have a future and it has got nothing to do with the Dalai Lama. However, if we look at the basis of the ban, we will certainly come to the conclusion that the ban destabilises the Gelug lineage and also takes away the validity of the lineage. How can the main lineage lamas of the Gelug tradition be wrong about something as integral to the lineage as a popularly practiced Dharma Protector?

As long as the ban is in place, the validity of the Gelug lineage is at stake and therefore, the future of the lineage is in very real danger. With or without the Dalai Lama, it would not jeopardize the Gelug lineage. However, the ban definitely jeopardize the long-term survival and propagation of the lineage.

Dear Big Uncle,

First, I have to say, every time I read your name I get an image of Kuten Lama (Ven.Geshe Kelsang Gyatso Rinpoche's uncle). Thanks.

So, I hear what you're saying and certainly that is why there is so much effort put towards lifting the ban. I believe I was addressing the inner experience side of the lineage, and though they generally go hand in hand, once the outer lineage of transmission fails, this brings the destruction of the lineage inside the hearts of practitioners. It is unfortunate and inevitable that this will happen as the prophecy's have made clear, but through our efforts regarding the controversy and the efforts of practitioners to practice deeply and genuinely from the heart and not the mouth, we can delay the inevitable disappearance of Dharma from this world!

Tenzin K

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 04:22:12 AM »
The Gelug tradition has been flourished all over the world. I have no doubt on it and I strongly believe it will keep growing and spread wide with or without HH the Dalai Lama. The only issue will be the practice of the protector Lord Shugden which we consider as part of the Gelug tradition that being a huge controversy by the HH Dalai Lama. The separation gave an impact of the broken linage to the Gelug which those follow blindly to support the ban and there are also another group that keep their samaya and devotion strong to continue the practice even though they have to go endure so much physical and mental suffering. The ban has to be lifted and more people need to know how bad the suffering of the practitioners and how illogical or baseless of the ban. the pressure is not just from the internal but from the world that believe in human right and religious freedom. The practice of this protector has never harm anyone and have been showing so much benefits.

The Gelug lineage will be preserved and continue but what important is to free the practitioners suffering and reconnect the all Gelug schools and together to grow to bring the dharma wide. The wrong act and view towards the ban need to be curb and more people need to be aware and be part of the freedom for the victim.

lotus1

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2014, 03:42:52 PM »

Well said Tenzin K. The Gelug tradition would continue growing and spreading to the world with or without HH Dalai Lama. The current incarnation of HH Panchen Lama, HH Trijang Rinpoche, HH Pabongka Rinpoche, etc are still spreading the Gelug lineage though out the world. The only issue now is the ban need to be lifted soonest so that the whole Gelug lineage will be united and work together to spread the Dharma to the whole world.

HH Panchen Lama who holds the same respect in Gelug lineage has also composed prayer for Dorje Shugden and still practicing it. So, definitely Dorje Shugden practice is part of the authentic Gelug lineage (http://www.dorjeshugden.com/introduction/history/10th-panchen-lama-writes-prayer-to-dorje-shugden/ ). HH Trijang Rinpoche and HH Pabongka Rinpoche and many more high lamas in the Gelug lineage are practicing Dorje Shugden too.
There should be NO more schism to the Dorje Shugden practitioners and they should be given the equal right for social, medical, education, etc. They are all human and deserve the basic human right as per all and there should not be any double standard on treatment to them.

diamond girl

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 03:13:36 AM »
The Gelug tradition will have a future as long as Gelug practitioners continue practising the tradition as established by Lama Tsongkhapa, who distilled the best of the existing Buddhist traditions in Tibet then. Lama Tsongkhapa focused on scholastic study and moral discipline and putting aside its mystical magic and miracles so I think that if we continue this core attitude, the Gelug tradition may endure.

However, the biggest threat to the Gelug tradition is the ban on Dorje Shugden. I believe that to ensure that the Gelug tradition endures, we will need to practice Dorje Shugden - whether openly or not - because he is the uncommon protector of our tradition. As long as there is a schism among the gelug - between the Dorje Shugden practitioners and the non-Dorje Shugden practitioners, it will create disharmony and eventual disintegration.

sandra

• Email
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2014, 02:47:06 PM »
I think Gelug tradition have a very bright future. No doubt the ban on Dorje Shudgen is now enforcing but look at the other way round is obstacles help to train up us be strong and appreciate what we have. If we can continue practice and endure Gelug tradition under hardship, we can grow faster than any other lineage.  We should not be fear of the ban and back off, in fact we have to be the strongest to challenge ourself to move forward in whatsoever situation.  We will continue practice, we will continue spread the dharma, we will continue create awareness about the ban. I always believe, once we passing by the storm, the beautiful scenery is waiting for us. Cheers.

vajrastorm

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2014, 05:33:29 AM »
On whom will the future of the Gelug Lineage depend? On HH Dalai Lama? Yet he is not the head of the Lineage.Furthermore, in recent times he has made strenuous efforts to break down walls and barriers between the Lineages, preferring to unite all schools under one, under him.

So who then are the torch-bearers of the Gelug tradition, who will ensure that Je Tsongkhapa's teachings live on - as the foundation of the Gelug Lineage is Je Tsongkhapa's teachings. Indeed, whoever is a torchbearer has a tremendously important task ,as Je Tsongkhapa's teachings - particularly his propounding of the Middle View of emptiness - are the sole and most powerful medicine for the ignorance, confusion and wrong views of this degenerate age. Didn't Dorje Shugden arise as the Protector of these teachings so that beings of this degenerate age can receive them?

By logical consequence then, the torch bearers, to ensure that Je Tsongkhapa's teachings thrive and are spread far and wide for the benefit of all, are the great Lamas who are doing this very job right now, and who are Shugden practitioners.

They are the great Lamas and  incarnations of previous high  Lamas- great Dorje Shugden practitioners - who are tirelessly spreading the teachings of Je Tsongkhapa ,as well as  spreading the practice of Dorje Shugden. They are  Lamas like Kyabje Trijang Choktrul Rinpoche, Gangchen Rinpoche, Gonsar Rinpoche  and a host of other young Lamas.   

So there is no question of the Gelug Lineage disappearing.