Author Topic: Dalai Lama accused of seeking 'Tibet independence'  (Read 21565 times)

Lineageholder

Re: Dalai Lama accused of seeking 'Tibet independence'
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2013, 08:19:11 AM »

Padmsambhava's personality cult is essential for Nyingma's self-identity and self-assertion. Thus, Nyingmapas will ascribe most everything to Padmasambhava.

However, the Buddha's first advice on reliability was to rely on the teaching, not on the personality of the teacher.

It's important to be able to ascribe everything to Buddha Shakyamuni or Buddha Vajradhara, otherwise it is not Buddhism. This is the problem with Termas and to a lesser extent, the problem with Dorje Shugden practice as people claim it wasn't taught in the Sutras or the Tantras.  We have our own Terma called the Kadam Emanation Scripture.

Matibhadra

« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2013, 04:22:38 PM »
It's important to be able to ascribe everything to Buddha Shakyamuni or Buddha Vajradhara, otherwise it is not Buddhism.

Nyingmapas even claim that Padmasambhava is higher and more accomplished than the Buddha himself.

The funny thing is that they insist on calling themselves ”Buddhists”, rather than “Padmasambhavists”.

This is the problem with Termas and to a lesser extent, the problem with Dorje Shugden practice as people claim it wasn't taught in the Sutras or the Tantras.

I cannot see anything in the Dorje Shugden practice that cannot be traced back to the sutras and tantras.

On the other hand, I cannot see anything in the sutras and tantras that supports the terma's politically designed Padmasambhava personality cult, or the tertön's tricks aimed at political self-legitimation.

We have our own Terma called the Kadam Emanation Scripture.

Which, as far as I can ascertain, is thoroughly free from the above faults, specifically those of mixing Dharma with politics.

Blueupali

• Email
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2013, 05:45:19 AM »

Padmsambhava's personality cult is essential for Nyingma's self-identity and self-assertion. Thus, Nyingmapas will ascribe most everything to Padmasambhava.

However, the Buddha's first advice on reliability was to rely on the teaching, not on the personality of the teacher.

It's important to be able to ascribe everything to Buddha Shakyamuni or Buddha Vajradhara, otherwise it is not Buddhism. This is the problem with Termas and to a lesser extent, the problem with Dorje Shugden practice as people claim it wasn't taught in the Sutras or the Tantras.  We have our own Terma called the Kadam Emanation Scripture.

Ah, good, this is what I think too--- that both are termas--- :).  Now, Lineaegholder, do you have a source for the Kadam Emanation Scripture being a terma?
  It seemed like that when the Kadampas described it, but when I said so, they said that they don't have termas--- I told them that some termas weren't placed under rocks or something but came from visions to mahasiddas---:).
  I like termas (the real ones) actually and I also really like the Kadam emanation scripture.

Matibhadra

« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2013, 05:53:14 PM »
I like termas (the real ones) actually and I also really like the Kadam emanation scripture.

The funny thing here is that the Dalai Lama, such a fan of termas, flatly denies the very existence of the Kadam Emanation Scriputure.

Matibhadra

« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2013, 06:09:38 PM »
The funny thing here is that the Dalai Lama, such a fan of termas, flatly denies the very existence of the Kadam Emanation Scriputure.

Which, among other things, mean that he lacks the respective lineage, and is irrelevant to it.

Blueupali

• Email
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2013, 12:23:19 AM »

Which, among other things, mean that he lacks the respective lineage, and is irrelevant to it.

Hi there--- do you have a reference for the DL rejecting the Kadam emanation scripture?  I'm just asking, because I need it for my useful list of references regarding complete nonsense that has come from the DL's mouth. 

Matibhadra

« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2013, 06:03:34 AM »
Hi there--- do you have a reference for the DL rejecting the Kadam emanation scripture?  I'm just asking, because I need it for my useful list of references regarding complete nonsense that has come from the DL's mouth.

Check The Union of Bliss and Emptiness, p. 69, where he says:

“The scripture on the left flower, according to some explanations, is called The Emanated Scripture of the Ear-Whispered Transmission. Although it might be very sacred, irrespective of whether such a scripture exists now or not, I do not think there is anything special in a scripture which is not mentioned in the eighteen volumes written by Lama Tsongkhapa himself. [...] For some, hearing that there is such an emanation scripture might be very inspiring, but I think there may not be such a scripture apart from the eighteen volumes.”

While the Dalai Lama, back in 1988 or before, did not “flatly deny” the Emanated Scripture's existence, as I had inaccurately said, he did doubt its existence, and did dismiss the possibility of anything special in it -- which still means that he lacks the respective lineage, and is irrelevant to it.

diablo1974

« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2013, 08:02:12 AM »
Personally i think HH Dalai Lama has been accused of seeking Tibet independence for the longest time by PRC, even with the many press releases by HH DL that he would not seek Tibet Independence but it doesnt seems to convince the PRC officials. In my own opinion, i do not think His Holiness will be allowed to go back to Tibet any sooner.  The chinese policy wont change on this matter.

icy

« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2013, 12:19:13 AM »
The Dalai Lama in his latest statement again reiterates for autonomy rule for Tibet for mutual benefits.  He recognises that there will not be furtherance of agreement with China for a free Tibet.  He concedes to co-existence not separate to China while Tibetans can capitalise on their natural strength.

Confrontation with China cannot solve Tibet issue: Dalai Lama

Sunday, Dec 1, 2013, 20:48 IST | Agency: PTI

Tibetans are not insisting on independence as any confrontation with China cannot solve the issue and autonomy for the region will be mutually beneficial for both sides, Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama said today.

"We are not seeking independence for mutual benefit. (If) we insist independence, this results in confrontation but confrontation cannot solve problems," he said at a special public address here.

Stressing that Tibet's autonomy would be mutually beneficial to Tibetans and the Chinese, the 78-year-old Dalai Lama said he was "not seeking a separation". He, however, said people of Tibet should have "full sovereignty about their culture, environment, and language."

"Previously, there have been talks with the Chinese leadership but with no concrete results. Tibetans who are culturally highly developed, are also one of the pure living traditions of Buddhism and sovereignty will be mutually beneficial," he said.

"Over two years, thousands of articles in China have expressed support for the Tibetan movement. Violence was past century's mistake, and costs both sides. Whether we like it or not, we have to live together," the Dalai Lama said.

The spiritual leader also said the Chinese have accused Tibetans of being separtists and called him a "demon".

Calling himself a "refugee", a "homeless" person and the longest guest of India, he expressed gratitude towards the Indian government and said he feels both psychologically and emotionally close to the country.

Emphasising that violence has never been able to shape a better world, the Dalai Lama said that government of India, the US and the European Union have stood in full support of the "free Tibet movement".

The spiritual leader said events of violence like that in Israel-Palestine, the Shia-Sunni conflict or the conflict between Muslims and Buddhists in Burma have not created a better world, adding that "religious intolerance has made people hypocrites".

Addressing dignitaries and students from India and Bhutan, the Dalai Lama called India a living example of promoting a sense of compassion and responsibilities through secular means.

icy

« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2013, 12:28:13 AM »
Will CTA hold the fort much longer after the passing of the Dalai Lama?  If CTA can't succeed in seeking genuine autonomy now what makes them think they will be able to seek genuine autonomy after his passing? 

I have much doubt CTA can do it.  They cannot succeed genuine autonomy without lifting the Shugden ban and uniting every Tibetan in India and around the globe for greater co-operation.  Genuine autonomy needs greater focus and effort from all aspects rather than some noises from them declaring their causes.

'Tibetan Cause Will Not Fade Away After the Dalai Lama'

The Tibetan government-in-exile today said their cause will not go away with the Dalai Lama and that they are determined to seek genuine autonomy within the framework of China's constitution.

"The Dalai Lama took a historical decision and devolved his political responsibilities to the elected leadership of the Central Tibetan Administration to give clear message to Beijing that leadership of the Tibet freedom movement has been entrusted to a younger generation   ," Tsering Wangchuk, Press Officer of Tibetan government-in-exile said here.

Quoting his Foreign Minister Dicki Chhoyang's statement in Rome today, he said, "Whereas China is calculating that the Tibetan cause will fade when the current Dalai Lama passes away. This will not happen.

"We remain determined to finding a peaceful resolution to the situation in Tibet through the Middle Way Approach which seeks genuine autonomy within the framework of China's constitution," he added.

Wangchuk said Chhoyang had made the stand clear at Italian Senate's Extraordinary Commission for the Protection and Promotion of Human Rights.

"I am proud to say that the Tibetan spirit is strong. Through the visionary leadership of the Dalai Lama for all these years, our issue remains alive, our hopes remain buoyant," the Tibetan foreign minister-in-exile had said.

She had thanked Italian Chamber of Deputies for unanimously adopting a resolution on February 8, 2009 calling on the People's Republic of China to engage in dialogue with the Dalai Lama's envoys to resolve the Tibet issue.

She requested the Italian Senate to recommend to the Italian government to ask the Chinese government to engage in dialogue with the Dalai Lama's envoys.

icy

« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2014, 10:22:05 PM »
The Dalai Lama is not certain about returning to Tibet this life time but his Prime Minister is hopeful that the Dalai Lama will return to his homeland. 

The Dalai Lama is absolutely right.  There is no light on this issue if Shugden ban is still enforced for it is the beginning of a big time Dorje Shugden Renaissance in the world.

Shillong, Feb 5 (IANS) The Dalai Lama Wednesday hoped the Chinese regime would find a genuine solution to the Tibet issue. However, he was unsure of returning to his homeland which he left for exile in 1959.
The Tibetan spiritual leader's optimism rose from the fact that the new Chinese president Xi Jinping is going all out against corrupt practices and is sensitive towards the rights of the people in China's countryside.
The Dalai Lama said today's Chinese intelligentsia in mainland China is more receptive to the Tibetan cause.
"I think the present (Chinese) president Xi Jinping is quite active because he is cleaning up corruption quite courageously. He spoke about the rights of the countryside people, about proper rule of law and he used words 'seeking truth from fact'. With that slogan, he actually opened the Chinese economy," the Nobel laureate told journalists here.

The Dalai Lama, on the last leg of his three-day visit to Meghalaya, also recalled his meetings with chairman Mao Zedong in the late 1950s, in what was then Peking, on the Tibet issue.

"I met chairman Mao in 1954-55 in Peking. He was like my father. I was there for five months and met several times and we developed a father-son relationship. Chairman Mao said on many occasions that Tibet cannot be treated as an ordinary Chinese province," he said.

On his possible return to his homeland, the Dalai Lama who escaped to India in 1959, said: "Nobody knows (on my return to Tibet). But I think 99 percent of Tibetans are waiting for me to return to Tibet. They always ask me to return. I told them I am ready to go to Tibet, it's my home, but the Chinese government won't allow it."

The 78-year-old Tibetan, who has considered India his second home, also disclosed that sometimes Chinese officials also urge him to return to Tibet. "At this moment if I return, it will be useful. Perhaps I may be more relaxed in prison, but with no work. I will not only lose my freedom but it will be just a waste of time. Here (in India), I am busy."

Tibetan prime minister-in-exile Lobsang Sangay Tuesday was hopeful about the Dalai Lama's return to Tibet via Tawang in Arunachal Pradesh, the route which he had used to come to India following his escape 55 years ago.

icy

« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2014, 06:59:03 AM »
Dalai Lama said he is ready to go back to Tibet but China not allowing him:

HILLONG: The Dalai Lama on Wednesday said he was ready to go back to Tibet but the Chinese government is not allowing him to do so. "I am ready to go back to Tibet. It's my home. But the Chinese government does not allow me," the Dalai Lama said. The Tibetan spiritual leader was addressing the media at the Pine Wood Hotel here on Wednesday.

The Tibetan spiritual leader claimed that 99 per cent of the Tibetans, besides "some Chinese", want him to go back to Tibet. "But if I return, a demon's place will be prison. So, if I return, it will not be of much use. If I return (to Tibet) I will be relaxed in prison with no work and it will be a waste of time," the witty spiritual leader said, when asked if and when he desired to go back to his homeland.

"However, things are changing and in the next few years, the situation may be different," he said.

He went on to say that the present Chinese president is "courageously" fighting corruption and "seeking the truth from fact".

Expressing hope that in the "next few years" he would return to his homeland, the Dalai Lama said, "Nobody knows when I will return. I know 99 per cent of the people in Tibet are waiting for me... I am ready ... It's my home."

The Times of India

icy

« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2014, 07:54:48 AM »
As reported by 'Times of India" the Dalai Lama considers himself 'son of India' and is happy to be in India.  Indeed it is true after considering his dim prospect of returning to his homeland which probably the reason he had made a controversial issue on Dorje Shugden so that the controversy will enable DS to spread in the world and especially in China.  Hence, the 15th Dalai Lama will be practising it again in China.

2 February 2014
GUWAHATI: Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama considers himself as the son of India and he was very happy here.

"A total of 54 years I am having Indian rice, chapati, tea. Now I consider myself as the son of India, son of the soil," the Dalai Lama said here on Sunday while interacting with reporters here.

"I am very happy," said the spiritual leader who was here to inaugurate a five-day Festival of Tibetan Art and Culture and deliver the First LBS Founders' Commemorative Lecture on 'A Human Approach to Peace and the Individual'.

Yesterday, he addressed an Interfaith Conclave on Peace and Religious Harmony here.