Author Topic: Wisdom, Power & Compassion: Enlightenment in Tibetan Art  (Read 6000 times)

bambi

Wisdom, Power & Compassion: Enlightenment in Tibetan Art
« on: January 04, 2014, 04:59:11 PM »
I have always loved thangkas! I love the vibrant colors and the detailed drawing. I actually prefer thangkas to statues as the colors are very soothing for the eyes.. moreover I have a small place and I can just hang them at any part of the house. I really do hope that the Tibetan art continue to live on as they are really precious and magnificent!
I really wish I could draw, to begin with..  :-[

In late November, the Tibetan Gallery & Studio in Sebastopol, California, continued its lecture series on Tibetan art with Nicholas Egan. Hand gestures, implements, and hidden teachings spring to life; we begin to understand what this ancient art conveys.

The Tibetan Gallery & Studio in Sebastopol is the only place in the world outside of Tibet where you can watch a Tibetan master create a giant ceremonial thangka, known as thanbhochi. The two-story canvas comprises 37 Buddhas, deities, and teachers.

Nicholas Egan is a Dharma teacher in the Nyingma tradition and has a Ph.D. in Buddhist Studies. A student of Anam Thubten Rinpoche and Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche, he is known for his clear and accessible teaching style and is the founder of the Advaya Institute. He has been leading pilgrimages to Asia since 2005 and has led groups to Tibet, Bhutan, Nepal, India, Mongolia, China, and Thailand.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 08:58:51 AM by Admin »

Tenzin K

Re: Wisdom, Power & Compassion: Enlightenment in Tibetan Art
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 10:18:32 PM »
Nicholas Egan, Ph.D., is the Founder of the Advaya Institute, a center for the practice of authentic spirituality in daily life. He is authorized to teach in the Nyingma lineage of Tibetan Buddhism, and his main teachers are Anam Thubten Rinpoche and Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche. Nicholas has been practicing meditation for more than 18 years and leads tours to Buddhist pilgrimage sites in Asia. He is known for his accessibility as a teacher and a warm and engaging teaching style.

Nicholas Egan studies closely with several Lamas from the Nyingma lineage of Tibetan Buddhism and has been a practicing Buddhist for more than 15 years. He has lived in Nepal studying Buddhism and Tibetan language, and continues to lead pilgrimages throughout Asia. Nicholas is currently a Ph.D. candidate in Buddhist Studies at the California Institute of Integral Studies.