Author Topic: Guru/Refuge Tree - Detailed Explaination?  (Read 6275 times)

Freyr Aesiragnorak

Guru/Refuge Tree - Detailed Explaination?
« on: December 14, 2013, 11:07:29 AM »
So I've been looking all over the internet and have searched this forum as well but I've yet to come across any online resource that has a complete description of the Gelugpa Refuge Tree. There is a reason for this, as Lama Tsongkhapa taught, we need to know what we practicing. IMO, the Refuge Tree is somewhat the core of Gelugpa practices, so shouldn't we all know or at least have read a thorough description of who's who on the refuge tree? Does anybody have any more information in regards to the refuge tree apart from the names? What about the descriptions and benefits of practicing the tantric deities, or the life stories of the Buddhas featured on the refuge Tree?

I'm posting in the hopes that my research hasn't been that thorough, and someone can lead me in the right direction to find more information.   

psylotripitaka

Re: Guru/Refuge Tree - Detailed Explaination?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 12:37:40 PM »
Detailed descriptions of both the refuge assembly and Guru tree can be found in many places such as Liberation in the Palm of Your Hand, Liberation in Your Hand, Joyful Path of Good Fortune, Great Treasury of Merit, and the forthcoming Manjushri's Innermost Secret from Dechenlingpress.org

Liberation life stories of lineage Masters can be read all over the place. There are also many detailed commentaries on the four classes of Tantra and the lineage Gurus of those instructions. There are also such stories written by Buton Rinpoche, Kachen Yeshe Gyaltsen, Taranatha, Janet Willis and others.

The most important point about this practice is to not only understand that the entire thing is the Guru, but that it is your actual living Guru right now in the space before you. There are many meanings, but this is the most meaningful point because it is the doorway to realization. If we always relate to images as if they aren't the living Guru in our presence, the blessings will be limited and our inner experience will not blossom very quickly.

Many Masters say it is enough to have a rough idea of the assembly and that our conviction it is a living assembly is the most crucial point. We can fill in details, but if we don't have much time for formal meditation and we get lost in the details without connecting to the most crucial point, we can waste a great deal of time. Marpa Lotsawa warned that sometimes seeking more information can itself become a distraction and obstacle to the real experience that touches our heart.

Not sayin that's how it is for you, just sayin.

Freyr Aesiragnorak

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 01:01:43 PM »
Thanks Psylotripitaka for the fantastic reply. I must admit that most of my research has been on the internet and very limited, so thank you for pointing me in the write directions.

My Guru has told me to read up as much as I can to further my understanding and one of the ways he suggested has been by reading the biographies of the lineage masters. I understand why many masters say we can get lost in the details, because there is a lot to say 'know.' rather than practice. It's actually one of the things I face in my own practice, I'm a bit of book worm.

I like your point about the whole thing being our living Guru in the space in front and that it is the door to our realisation, it's bought a whole new perspective as I haven't really thought about it that way. I'm just starting out, so it's nice to know that there are people like you here to help. I appreciate your help and advise.

psylotripitaka

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 04:30:38 PM »
Glad you found it useful. I'll post a short list of biographical stuff later today.

psylotripitaka

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 06:48:08 AM »
Dear Freyr,

There are many things I could recommend, but the following are a good place to start:

- Enlightened Beings by Janet Willis. This is a translation of life stories of several of the first Gelugpa yogis.
- Life of Milarepa by Llahlungpa
- 100,000 Songs of Milarepa
- Life stories of Je Tsongkhapa and Atisha. The latter is found in Lamrim commentaries. The first can be found online, in a book compiled by Robert Thurman, in books by Glenn Mullin, and in both Heart Jewel and Great Treasury of Merit by Geshe Kelsang Gyatso.

Good reading to you. May they inspire you to go deep like they have. Remember too, you are reading stories about people that are now in your presence. Their coarse incarnation may be gone, but they are with you even as I write this. Thank you Masters, I bow to you, thank you!

psylotripitaka

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 11:24:27 PM »
Freyr,

Check out the thread about talking Buddha statues. There's some great stories posted there about lineage Gurus!!

diablo1974

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 07:05:36 AM »
You may wish to check out in the book "Liberation in the Palm of One’s Hand", there are descriptions on the Gelug guru tree.  It might help.
I've seen many different versions too, some have lesser deities than the other.

Manisha Kudo

• Email
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2013, 09:17:28 PM »
Thank you, Psylo for the list of books. I will surely read them. And yes, these masters are alive and not just words from pages and pages of information. It invokes a transcendental experience and ultimately leads back to our Guru who is in our space right now.

Frer, thank you for starting this great thread. So much to learn and explore.  ;D