Author Topic: Dejavu  (Read 14469 times)

bambi

Dejavu
« on: December 08, 2013, 03:18:13 PM »
There is this question I have been meaning to know...

In the dictionary,

deja vu means

the illusion of having previously experienced something actually being encountered for the first time.

There are times we go through a scenario that we may have dreamed of. Many would say that its called deja vu.

What I don't understand is, how can we experience something that has not happen?

Where does our mind go when we dream?

Rinchen

• Global Moderator
Re: Dejavu
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 05:31:51 PM »
I believe that when we dream, our mind is still there. The only difference is that maybe our consciousness expects something to happen in a certain way. And because of that constant thought of it, had made what was in our dream true.

Either that or we have some kind of short term clairvoyant to know what would happen in a few days time to prepare ourselves from having to experience the same mistake that we have done.

yontenjamyang

• Email
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 09:25:54 AM »
Maybe we are having the illusion of have done this or that, having been here or there. Seeing a scene played our before. I think it is just our delusions, which I conjecture for everything in samsara arises from our delusions. LOL.
From the Dharma of point of view,  the phenomena of Deja Vu, can mean that we have experienced the same feelings of a particular event due to our past life. The past lives that we are "retrieving' these same feelings from are usually a recent one ie the one before this life. Due to our ignorance and karmic formations that keep generating effects of past karma, our thoughts are clouded and we are unable to see past the cloudiness of the mind. However, we store these memories in our mind and when trigger by some event, these memories can surface. The same feelings can surface for events in this present life as well.

If we connect this two, we have the prove of past lives.

psylotripitaka

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 04:12:44 PM »
The dictionary definition is based on a limited and mistaken understanding of phenomena. Dejavu is an encounter with something we previously experienced in dreams or visions.

From that point of view, we are not experiencing something that hasn't happened yet! We're experiencing a coarse manifestation of a subtle story.

This is the easiest way of understanding dejavu for people that live in the limited perception of linear time. Until we gain a deep understanding and experience of emptiness we cannot fully comprehend how a Buddha sees the past present and future simultaneously. I know there is a far more profound explanation of dejavu, but it is beyond me at the moment.

Sometimes we can recognize that a dejavu is coming. Sometimes we can know that the thing we're experiencing in our dream or vision is going to be experienced again in the coarse vibration of physical life. There are different degrees of clairvoyance that become increasingly refined as we progress on the path. Our interpretation of dreams and visions will become more refined and accurate, and we will benefit ourselves and others to a greater and greater extent due to this.

'May I develop the clairvoyance of a Buddha and liberate all beings from contaminated aggregates quickly!'

Jessie Fong

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 04:42:14 AM »
There is this question I have been meaning to know...

In the dictionary,

deja vu means

the illusion of having previously experienced something actually being encountered for the first time.

There are times we go through a scenario that we may have dreamed of. Many would say that its called deja vu.

What I don't understand is, how can we experience something that has not happen?

Where does our mind go when we dream?

We have all some experience of a feeling, that comes over us occasionally, of what we are saying and doing having been said and done before, in a remote time - of our having been surrounded, dim ages ago, by the same faces, objects, and circumstances - of our knowing perfectly what will be said next, as if we suddenly remember it! (Dickens in David Copperfield - chapter 39

Dear Bambi
It's difficult to explain to you how it's like to experience deja vu if you have not experienced it yourself.

I used to find myself in various situations where I kept telling myself "Hey, this has happened to me before", only later to have it go away in the blink of an eye and not being to recall any details. 

These incidents happened mostly during my younger days.  I do not recall having a deja vu situation recently.

brian

• Email
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 03:08:35 PM »
i think this is not uncommon really... all of us had this kind of experiences before. I believe this as it had happened too many times in my life. Many of the times, i remembered something familiar had happened and made me feel like i was developing some skills that i can predict future or developing my sixth sense. LOL

Manisha Kudo

• Email
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 07:40:07 PM »
8) I don't think our mind goes anywhere when we dream. I suppose in our waking state, our mind is very busy processing all of the signals from outside that we are not aware of the parallel realities that are co-existing with ours. When we are asleep, our left brain is resting and does not interfere with the reception of these signals and energies that translate to dreams, which could be just a definition given by our left brain. I made all of these up but it is a viable hypothesis.  ::) 

Freyr Aesiragnorak

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2014, 11:16:41 AM »
Interesting discussion about this topic from a Buddhist perspective. I've never really thought about it that much since becoming a Buddhist. In folk traditions in Europe, having déjà vu was a way of knowing something important was happening even if what happened was insignificant.

I have a friend who had it constantly and it freaks him out to no end. Sometimes it even freaks us out, not that he knows things, but because he strongly believes he has lived a moment in time that we are living now. But then again for us unenlightened beings, as mentioned earlier, we experience time as linear. But physicists have theorised that time is actually more like a dot on a piece of paper rather than a line, if it was drawn that is. Everything in time is happening altogether, rather than how most people different the past, present and future. Maybe when we become enlightened and directly realise emptiness, because we are so attained, we break free of seeing time as the past, present and future as in the linear model but see everything at once, like the dot on a piece of paper.

RedLantern

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2014, 03:13:35 PM »

Our dreams shows that everything depends on our mind- if our mind changes,our world changes. Dreams are produced by the mind,some believe they are linked to unconsciousness.Th Buddha taught that actually all things are created by the mind,and since the mind is riddled with illusions,waking reality is a little more than a dream.

dondrup

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 07:15:56 PM »
What we experience through our six sense doors (sight, sound, smell, taste, touch and thought) in our dream state or waking state are the ripening or our past karma which are triggered by the convergence of the right causes and conditions.

All phenomena arise from our mind including deja vu. Our mind stores all our past experiences or karmic potentialities which will ripen when triggered unless they are purified. Through regression analysis, we can tap into our mind to look at our past lives' events. Had we transformed our mind through meditation, we can develop clairvoyance to see these too.

Our gross mind will dissolve into the subtle mind when we sleep and enter the dream world. Later when we are in deep sleep, the subtle mind will dissolve into the very subtle mind. The very subtle mind is the mind that will leave the present body upon death to take rebirth.

Tenzin K

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 02:34:26 AM »
This is what i read about rebirth:

Those situations in which we sometimes feel a strong presentiment that we have been in a particular place before although we have not visited this place in our present life. Or, sometimes we feel that we have known someone before. Sometimes we meet a person and within a very short space of time we feel that we have known that person thoroughly. Alternatively, sometimes we have known a person for years and yet we are not close to that person. These experiences of feeling that we have been to a place before or have known a person before are so common and universal even in a culture which knows almost nothing of rebirth. There is a particular phrase for this experience, the French words "deja vu" which mean "already seen or experienced". If we are not dogmatic, when we add up all the evidence of rebirth - the persistent belief in rebirth in many cultures in many different times throughout history, the Buddha’s own testimony, the testimony of His prominent disciples, the evidence presented by scientific investigations, and our own personal intimations that we have been here before - we have to admit that there is at least a good possibility that rebirth is a reality.

Big Uncle

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 06:30:09 PM »
Interesting! I asked a knowledgeable monk once about dejavu and he said that he feels that the feeling of familiarity known as dejavu arose because we are doing something to open up deep-seated memories from a previous life. It could the circumstance, place or the action that we are doing that is triggering this latent memory. Whatever it is, this is certainly quite a common experience and it certainly feels more like this than anything else. It is as simple as that and it has got nothing to do with anything more supernatural than that.

Klein

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2014, 09:05:34 AM »
This is an interesting topic because I have had many deja vus. My experiences of deja vus leaves me baffled because I would dream of a place I've never been to and then I would actually visit the place a few years later. Or I would dream of meeting my friends or family in a certain place and then it actually happens. I would remember the same situation, as though I'm rerunning a movie in front of me; same place and people.

I told my teacher about these experiences I have been having and he told me to recite Manjushri daily. It will enhance this aspect of me. My teacher said to have the motivation of realising Enlightenment when reciting, then this skill of mine to foretell the future in my dreams will be more vivid. I guess it's a by product of Manjushri practice. It doesn't reflect on our attainments though. It's just an acquired skill that we can all develop to benefit others.

Our mind is very powerful. It takes more advance practices to tap into the fullest potential of our mind that we can never imagine we possess.

The following is an interesting article and video of deja vu.

Please click here. http://www.riseearth.com/2012/06/can-parallel-universes-explain-deja-vu.html] [url]http://www.riseearth.com/2012/06/can-parallel-universes-explain-deja-vu.html[/url]

ilikeshugden

• Email
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2014, 03:43:14 PM »
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/CSf8i8bHIns" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here is a video on Dejavu. It is quite interesting.

Big Uncle

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2014, 01:32:45 AM »
Here is are interesting scientific theories regarding the experience of Deja vu. I think it is pretty cool and one of them is probably closer to what it really is. Check it out...

What is déjà vu? What is déjà vu? - Michael Molina